jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

I Got Referenced on Wikipedia!

1. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago

Okay...I know it probably isn't a big deal, but one of my Hubs was listed as an "Reference" on a Wikipedia article.
    I've had that happen with blogs before, but this is my first Wiki link to a Hub.
    It just made me feel good that someone felt one of my Hubs was good enough to use as source material.
    Kinda makes you actually feel like you are really contributing to the internet y'know.

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

That's awesome! Huge congrats! smile

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image92
    mistyhorizon2003posted 6 years ago

Golly, that is impressive. I tried to link a hubpage article of mine about my own Mother's singing career on Wikipedia when her name came up in a section on Sri-Lankan song writer and musician "Nimal Mendis", yet was told that sites like hubpages were considered unreliable sources of information, therefore links were not allowed. When I explained via email that this was an article about my own Mother's career, written by her daughters, they simply told me I could appeal, but the decision was unlikely to be any different!!

How annoying is that, when your own Mother has endorsed an article, by her own daughters, about her own singing career and recorded records etc, yet Wikipedia say it is "unlikely to reliable information" and that any appeal is "unlikely to make any difference"???

Not sure how you got around the apparent "Hubpage" stigma, but if you work it out can you let me know?

Well done anyway smile

4. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 6 years ago

It is a "big deal" Sabre!  Congrats!  Makes you an "author of note" now.  Here's hoping you do something fun to celebrate.

5. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago

mistyhorizon2003: I didn't, whoever wrote the article there did it.Evidently they read my Hub and used it as a source.
    Of course there is nothing to say that Wiki wont take the link down in a day or two.
    Maybe you could contact the person that wrote the Wiki article about your mother rather than Wiki staff and ask to be included as a reference. (if you haven't already).

Misha: Thank you!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image92
      mistyhorizon2003posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Sabre,

Well I hope your link stays there long term for sure. The article in my case was about "Nimal Mendis" not about my Mother, so I have no idea who wrote it to ask the question. I do think it would be nice if it was included though.

Anyway, well done and I hope your link gets you loads of traffic smile

6. Mike Lickteig profile image90
    Mike Lickteigposted 6 years ago

It's cool if your are referenced for an hour or a day or forever.  That's really fantastic!

7. flread45 profile image81
    flread45posted 6 years ago

Good deal on that

8. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Sabre, that's fantastic! Congratulations! Always wanted to say, "I have a source", lol.

9. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 6 years ago

Good for you! Congrats! big_smile

10. hospitalera profile image76
    hospitaleraposted 6 years ago

Great achievement, well done SY