What are tag pages?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Appletreedeals profile image68
    Appletreedealsposted 14 years ago

I have seen several threads commenting on tag pages.

Searched my data storage facilities - no luck, banged them against the wall to see if the data could be jiggled loose - no luck

what is meant by tag pages?

GA

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Basically, tags and tag pages are a way of organizing and categorizing information - they relate to the internal structure of hubpages. The best thing to do to understand tag pages is to go to one of your hubs and click on a few of your tags. You'll see that you are directed to a page of links to hubs that also have the same tag. If there are no other hubs with the same tag you'll see your hub there on it's own. To really understand tags check out johnr54's hub about it.

2. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

not sure but could it be the ad optimizer like Yieldbuild they're talking about. kinda what ya call/ad optimizer/tag generator... most web 2.0 sites use an optimizer comparable to the one here by yieldbuild.. they create tags based on the text in your hub. title, header 1 and p1 tags hold more weight i think? Good question ..? never heard of tag (pages) b4!

3. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

susana s,  I understand the internal application of the yieldbuild optimizer as you say but i'm wondering... I did contact staff directly b4 about the optimizer and I was told ' the tags are used as internal as well as  external ' blah blah blah.. something to the effect' not traditional meta> tag but through javascript language...are the tags being seen by a command line paramater in the meta> and head> tags to be seen by search engines... it would seem they are being picked up there as well to get relevant search  query's since there are no other places to enter search.keywords... search engines only pick up by the head> content I thought , is the optimizer also sending to the head>. Is the javascript in both the head> and body> of the page? kinda like CSS in the head> renders styles to the body> elements?

4. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

yieldbuild is not related to tags - tags are user generated

5. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

user generated 4 sure ; but doesn't the optimizer  auto generate suggestions or are they two seperate components? are the tag capsule and the optimizer seperate or part of the same build ?

6. sunforged profile image71

yieldbuild= adsense optimization and placement

thats it, perhaps give a quick read over the website, you can use it for free on your own personal site

the tag auto suggest function is unrelated although the tags you select may have minimal effect on what ads are triggered

7. sunforged profile image71
  8. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

My understanding is that Yieldbuild and tags are only loosely linked. Yieldbuild optimizes ads in terms of determining visitor location, ad placement, size and color (I used it on my website, so became quite familiar with how the system works). The actual ads are delivered by google adsense. Adsense will obviously scan the page to determine what the page is about and deliver relevant ads. Adsense may also use where the hub is linked from internally to determine relevant ads - ie category pages, hot, latest, tag pages, links form other hubs etc, which is why tags seem to affect ads. But as far as I know there is not a direct link between Yieldbuild and tags.

Tags are not the same as web 1.0 meta tags or meta keywords that you would place in the head section. Google doesn't pay any attention to meta keywords anyway, which is probably why hubpages doesn't bother with them. There are a ton of factors google looks at and not just what's in the head tag of a page.

I'm guessing that the way that tags are helpful for external search engine optimization, is because the tag pages are crawlable and indexed by google and also develop pagerank. So incoming links to your hubs from high PR tag pages, tell the search engine that your hub is important. Even incoming links from pages with low or no PR will be helpful because the link is a relevant keyword or keyphrase. There could well be other external benefits to tags and tag pages, but if there are I don't know what they are.

I don't know anything about javascript and very little about CSS tempplates so I can't comment on them.

9. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I thought Yield build was an offshoot of Hubpages and so was implemented here on hubpages free for publishers. I see on google they call them TAG CLOUDS  but usually tag clouds have bigger text for the more weighted words on the site. I read about a month ago about yieldbuild at the site and thought I saw hubpages staff created it. Their pics were on the page somewhere. You'd think they'd be more closely linked being that they developed it. I know thisisoli has a tag cloud on his SEO site. He might have some insight how they work and what their called and where to download one for a personal website.

10. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Thanks for the link Darkside , I've been using them but never knew they were called tag (pages)

11. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Here's some info on tag clouds that might help clarify things for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

The most important sentence in my view is this one: "Properly implemented tag clouds make the website appear to search engine spiders more interlinked which tends to improve its search engine rank."

12. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Thanks, for that Susana!

13. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Thank you for the great info.  It all helps and thank you especially Mel22.  Sometimes I just can't even form the questions, much less work through some of the explanations.  This thread was easy to follow and direct.  Appreciate everyone's help!

14. Appletreedeals profile image68
    Appletreedealsposted 14 years ago

Thanks for all the input folks, turns out it was just a semantics thing.

GA

15. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

...going along with this post I decided to ask staff directly about the link between Yieldbuild optimizer and the Hubpage tag cloud/generator... here is the answer with the question below;

answer: "Yes, YieldBuild is automatically used for all Hubs.  You don't need to sign up."

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM, mel22 (via HubPages) <email@hubpages.com> wrote:

I noticed Yieldbuild was an offshoot of Hubpages created by the HubTeam. I was wondering if Yieldbuild optimizer is automatically incorporated with Hubpages tag cloud generator for free use by Hubbers or do we need to do a free signup to use it. .in other words is it all inclusive for users? pre-integrated 4 users under Hub Stats?

the anser did not give specifics about the stats but I assume the stats are sent server-side to staff while users
    receive a portion of those , on the stats button under HubMetrics!.. just thought i'd share that info as it pertained 2 this post !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)