Am I becoming quippy and rude?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (60 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I remember reading the help forums when I first started out and feeling that some of the answers were a little rude or unhelpful...over time I realized those short answer were a blessing considering how many times that same person would find themselves answering it

I have always tried to avoid that pattern, but lately Iv been getting complained at, have I become another jaded and rude forum member?

Source: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/34757

If so, my bad wink

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where do you post?

2. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

1. darkside profile image65

I forgot to add... welcome to the club! big_smile

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, no stop bothering me..
      smile

I would say yay to you for not calling out "personal attack!"

Whats more rude? To say someone had gotten some info wrong, or to call some one an a$$hole?  hmm...

4. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm fed up of answering questions like this.

The information you need is clearly stated in the Hubpages FAQ, under 'Sunforged is a big Meanie' big_smile

5. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, your not jaded.  Just accurate!  And somebody needs to get a grip...
      Love your last post in that thread.

6. 1974 profile image68
      1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you are rude at all.  The problem I think is Mel22, while meaning well, just gives bad advice to people.  Here is more proof of this trying to tell me that robots.txt is somehow interlinked with Google Translator.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/34455

1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
        Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

did you ever get your answer to the robots.txt thing?

1. 1974 profile image68
          1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That wasn't my thread, I just posted there saying Mel made no sense whatsoever.

7. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to actually answer! You can ignore things that aggravate you.

8. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why would you care ?
      I would never think of opening a thread asking other hubbers if I'm rude or not.
      and I would never point out another hubber to ask this question !

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No...Mel keeps spouting off that he knows what he is talking about when he really doesn't and confuses people even more.

2. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

I don't think so.  Honestly, whenever I've asked a technical question in the forums here I've always hoped you would answer because I value you opinion and answers as you are so knowledgeable.

How's the 'getting ready for baby' going?

3. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

just been over to your hubs, excellent presentation and writing smile

4. J.J. Beach profile image59
    J.J. Beachposted 14 years ago

Ummm, no.  You've always been straight forward and quick to answer with good information.  You don't mince words -

5. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 14 years ago

No.  You are always polite- if sometimes direct.  You consistently offer sound advice and clear, accurate information.  There are a handful of hubbers who do most of the heavy-lifting in the question/answer department--if you guys and gals are too busy to put everything in greeting card format, then that's understandable.  We are lucky you do it.  Your efforts are much appreciated.

6. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

From personal experience (when you helped me out smile) and from reading the other thread, nope.

7. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I think you're absolutely right to correct misinformation and I don't think you've become quippy and rude. I can totally understand your frustration when confusing info is presented.

The web is full of rubbish and it's nice that here at HP we can share info and lose the BS - there is a trust amongst hubbers that the info here is reliable and I think it's important to keep it that way. I know I have learnt a lot from you as have many other hubbers, and your comments, no matter how short, are always appreciated. smile

8. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Well I think you're very wordy and overly helpful.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto big_smile

9. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

No, you were entirely justified.  Yeesh!  smile  BTW, is it me or are the forums harder to read now (out of order).

1. darkside profile image65

Click on Chronological view rather than Threaded.

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
      Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol   Shall we start on the threaded vs chrono again for those who have been absent?

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

:experiencing flashback: Not the jelly, please no - not the jelly! Aaaargh! lol

10. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

jaded and rude has its place.  I've been called a donkey rectum on more than one occasion.  It grows on you!

11. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Choose the Chronological option.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

you're always helping people, some of the questions are tiresome.
    it happens.

there are a number of rude posters, I would not consider you one of them.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the club LOL

1. profile image0

lol ultimate quippy rude hubber....

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You nailed it smile

2. drej2522 profile image68
        drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

same same...proudly! smile

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol....she said Quippy....lol

14. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

SUNFORGED, DON'T GET QUIPPY WITH ME!   lol lol lol 

Just kidding, I have never seen any of your posts come off that way in my opinion

15. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Well, thank you everybody! smile

It was a serious question. I really wasnt sure and I didnt want to be responsible for being rough on a well meaning newcomer.

@ A texan, I dont get aggravated, at least never over something that appears on a computer monitor!

@lily rose,Thanksfor asking!  We just got our second ultrasound, everything is as it should be, signed up for parenting classes and pregnancy yoga wink baby was uncooperative for gender identification, so we are still in the dark about that for another 4 weeks. ill change my avatar when we get the funky 3-d ultrasound

I picked up a domain where Im going to try and chronicle the expereince of a stay at home dad that is also a internet marketer

1. Lily Rose profile image86
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's great!  I hope you post the domain address somewhere when it's up and running.  Being a stay at home mom myself, I think it would be neat to follow what it's like for a SAHD!

sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well since its not an actual site yet  stay-at-home-dads.com

im thinking log type thing to stay sane
        and some first hand product reviews to monetize

2. profile image0

i was in the dark for all 3!!! its kinda exciting. Good luck!
      ps...dont let one crabby hubber get to you.  wink

3. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My perspective is that you are particularly tolerant of newbies. You always seem to have read and appreciated the question/s vs some can't be bothered to wade through a longer post to get the gestalt of the problem or question the poster is getting at. You don't condescend to newbies, and are not rude.  Again, my perspective.

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
        Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yepper...cool

16. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Quippy....lmao...what a word...

If I ever used that word they'd throw me out and burn my bike.

lol

17. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Q u i p p y

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

its not in my normal vocab either, was responding to this.

just making sure i wasnt seeing myself through rose colored glasses

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  18. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

Can you make a site that is like the stay at home dads site, maybe call it I am too lazy to leave my house and I will be the head of running it...  lol lol lol

19. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

If I say all the things I don't like of certain hubbers....
    What's the point? Pointing out ? yikes
    Nice !

1. tantrum profile image60

I think that after being here for almost 2 years, sunforged should have learned that opening a post asking for praise while pointing out another for his mistakes, is not good.

So, how does it look, me pointing out sunforged ?
      Do you like it ? hmm

1. Misha profile image63

I did not look at it from this angle. While it makes sense now when you pointed this out, I would suspect this was not intended as it sounded smile

Really ? and was intended how ?
          It's so obvious for me, the intention is looking for praise while belittling another.

1. Misha profile image63

I think it was intended as it was stated. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see Sunforged pointing anyone out.  Not everyone reads every thread, you know.

What about posting the link ? what about pointing out  mel ?
          That's what I'm talking about.

What are you talking about?

My intentions were to get another perspective for a current issue, just as I stated. Those that read my statement and the associated link could just have easily decided that I was in fact being rude in the linked conversation and i would have taken that to heart and made an effort to be more patient/informative...just because the responses didnt lean that way doesnt mean I was looking for praise.

A very,very important distinction is I never pointed out anything about a hubber " i didnt like".. I continue to converse and disagree in a congenial manner with mel and sometimes agree.

what the question really asks is it rude to be critical or brief in a help response...i got feedback that it was not. I continue to address incorrect information when it is posted and i have working knowledge that differs...I think i stayed rather polite considering some of the responses I received, so "belittling" is an exaggeration, hell, i think my response had quite a bit of humor in it..

staying in the spirit of my sometimes "critical" responses, it clearly says 15 months right next to my picture, how is that almost two years? in fact my first hub was published on 11/15/08. Even in this short year, the forums have changed quite a bit in nature, i turned to them for early advice about the hubbing platform and later tried to return the favor..the forums were a tool then, now with so many "sandpit" "why am i banned" "whats your favorite color" type threads its lost alot of that usefulness and quick navigation for answers...so when that blather trickles into the help and knowledge forums I tend to call it out, and Im not alone in that practice.

So you do misunderstand my intentions but I could see why as the forums probably seem far more social to you than they are to me...its ok If not everyone wants to be my buddy because I didnt feel like putting on the kid gloves when combatting misinformation a few times...the helpful information will still be available to me

1. Greg Cremia profile image60
              Greg Cremiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

long winded answers get scanned at best.
              brief answers get read.

Those not wanting to be criticized need not post.

20. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Being a stay at home dad will be interesting to hear about.  I never got the opportunity to stay at home with my kids when they are little, but my schedule is a bit more flexible now, and I like being able to spend time with them as teenagers.  The time goes by pretty fast and it is easy to miss the fascinating people our children are.  smile

21. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

cool
    OK then. Maybe I misunderstood you, but you have to agree that it looked that way as well.
    And  I'm sure you noticed some people didn't have very kind words for mel, on  this thread. And that, obviously was going to happen.
    Anyway it's only my opinion. and that doesn't mean I don't want to be your 'buddy' or whatever.
    This is only a forum ,as I said millions of times.
    And sometimes I tend to disagree with everyone.
    As I don't have any problem posting what I think, this kind of 'conversation' happens usually when I'm around.

Good to know  I was wrong about you then.
    I trust you have been sincere.

22. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

This is my 6th year on various forums and brevity is well earned/deserved. Others need to follow suit.

23. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

you've always been very helpful Sunforged, and i appreciate it. but, since you asked, in your communication with the hubber that you are talking about well, yes, i did think you came off as 'quippy' and 'rude'.

1. Misha profile image63

Actually I would say SF was much nicer to mel than mel to him. And to others - I just flagged two of mel's posts when he stated that my brains are a monkey ass and he is going to fuck me. lol

24. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Don't Sweat It J.... It's all part of becoming a protective Dad lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)