jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can someone explain how these adsense ads are set up?

1. quotations profile image94
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

My apologies in advance if I am posting this question to the wrong forum.

I came across a website which implements its google adsense ads in an interesting way, using a method I am not familiar with.

If you look at the left hand column of this page you will see that the text and links of the ads show up in larger text than usual, and if you hover over the links you get the name of the website on the status bar rather than a google referral code. In short, the links look organic and it is very hard to tell that they are google ads except for the inconspicuous google ads tag at the top. I suspect that they are using some sort of feed. Can anyone explain or tell me more about how this is done. It looks interesting.

Here is the link: http://www.unexplainedstuff.com/Places- … r-Wat.html  (note the links in the left hand column)

I have absolutely no connection with this site.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me more information on how this is done.

2. Shirley Anderson profile image84
    Shirley Andersonposted 8 years ago

They look the same as the links in my hubs to me.  Am I missing something?

3. Isabella Snow profile image87
    Isabella Snowposted 8 years ago

They don't look like anything I've ever seen on HP.

I think they look pretty cool -- but are they are allowed to look that much unlike typical adsense ads??

4. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 8 years ago

Maybe there's a bit of CSS at work. Formatting things so all fonts are shown larger, eg: font-size: larger;

I wouldn't have thought that it would have effected the Adsense Ads itself, but when I change the font size for the entire page manually (hold down CTRL and use either - or +) it does change the Adsense text size too.

5. quotations profile image94
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

The ads are a bit deceptive because they look like normal HTML links, but I don't think there is anything wrong in having the Adsense ads blend in - in fact Adsense recommends using a background in the ad the same as your page. What I don't get is how they made the text larger. When I use CSS it has no effect on the google ads, and you are not supposed to alter the adsense code itself. I really wish I knew how they did it. I bet their click through rate is very good.

6. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

They most likely have a special deal with google.  That kind of formatting isn't generally available.  Either that or they are doing something they shouldn't be and will get into trouble soon.

7. charlemont profile image84
    charlemontposted 8 years ago

I believe AdSense Premium Publishers are allowed a wider choice of Ad setups than 'ordinary' partners. I often see popular websites displaying AdSense ads with larger fonts. Probably this is a bonus for big guys generating income for Google.