jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

What is too graphic a photo to post on hubpages?

1. salt profile image66
    saltposted 6 years ago

Is there a rule for this. I just read a hub on haiti, which was very very interesting content. I found the pictures a bit too graphic for me to stomach. Yet it did really send home the true human devastation. And how important it is to rebuild lives and homes and hope and love and living.

Love and thoughts to all.

1. yoshi97 profile image89
      yoshi97posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would go with the internal rule which is, "It's probably not good to show things on the outside that are normally on the inside - i.e. heart, liver, spleen, etc.)

There's no hard rule, but it's probably a line where one doesn't want to post anything that would be revolting to others with thin stomach linings.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Only admin can really make the final decision on what is too graphic.  You should flag the Hub for them to take a look at it.

If any action needs to be taken, they'll contact the Hub author.

3. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I think it is up to an author, no one is forcing you to read a hub, and if the material is becoming too disturbing, the exit is only a click away.

Sometimes people need disturbing images taken from the real life problems in the world to get their points across!

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Oli.

4. salt profile image66
    saltposted 6 years ago

I was discussing it as a social perspective. I can still see the bits of the pictures I did see. They really have bought home to me the true impact of Haiti and the depth of healing that will be needed to get people through.

1. Pearldiver profile image85
      Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Then the Writer has done well right?  Why would you consider flagging a hub containing images... that by your own admission.. have succeed in getting the message across? hmm

I hope... for that very reason... that you gave the writer a double thumbs up hmm

Perhaps, you could post the URL on this thread.

5. zzron profile image60
    zzronposted 6 years ago

Who is to say what is revolting to someone else ? I recently saw a graphic photo of a car truck accident on the internet where it showed a person cut in half but from a bit of a distance. I was a bit disturbed after seeing that but I have seen real accidents on the road in person as I am a truck driver, but as another hubber stated, sometimes it may be necessary to show something shocking to impress upon the reader the lesson being taught. I do believe that if there is something graphic there should be a warning like they do on the TV news.

1. yoshi97 profile image89
      yoshi97posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Which is where the line between shock and horror is drawn ...

Images shown *only* for the sake of disturbing others should be considered taboo, whereas those shown for the sake of delivering a message should be considered as toeing the right side of the line.

I would expect that pictures of the Haiti carnage would be acceptable if the writer were talking about how awful it all was or how much suffering these people went through. However, I would never accept a picture with a caption underneath it that read 'Look at how far this steel rod penetrated through his eye socket!'

The fine line between shock and horror is that shock has an emotional attachment, whereas the viewer is being swayed to understand that the person has suffered, through no fault of their own, a crisis which any of us would consider deserving of a compassionate response.

As for my reply earlier, that was a guestimate of how such images might be interpreted; whereas, this response is how *I* would interpret them.

6. salt profile image66
    saltposted 6 years ago

there are alot of bodies piled up and alot of different photos of this. I found it disturbing without the photos having downloaded properly. I did get an understanding of the true human cost and the emotions of haiti people would be inexpressable. It was a well written article.

I was just interested in understanding it as a social concept. Or if it was possible to add a warning for people who could not cope with the images. It was written by D... from washington and you could find it if you search the hubs under haiti.