jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do URL Tracker links use a 301 redirect

1. MyWebs profile image85
    MyWebsposted 6 years ago

I have noticed that any link that you use a URL tracker code automatically redirects to the target page.  I have started using trackers hoping to get a little from referrals. But I worry if they use a proper 301 redirect so Google Page Rank will flow through these trackers. If not most of my link building work was in vain.

Can anyone, preferably staff, tell me for sure if these redirects use a 301 header?

1. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm not staff but I've got a quote from one:

From personal experience, even if the effects are allegedly 'diluted' I have found the results to be fantastic.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

You'll find this answered several times in the forums.  Yes, apparently your link juice is somewhat diluted if you use the tracker. 

Personally, I only use my tracker if I'm posting on sites where I'm likely to gain a referral, i.e. other sites about writing.

3. MyWebs profile image85
    MyWebsposted 6 years ago

Thanks for answering. I guess I should have did a search first before posting.
    I did locate a post by Paul Deeds
    In it he says that HP does use a proper 301. smile
    He also says that he thinks this dilutes the Google juice possibly.

This I am not worried about because I'm 100% certain Google currently passes all the juice to the page the 301 points at. Matt Cutts a Google employee basically says as much in this GoogleWebmasterHelp video:
    He also says that a site getting many of its incoming links via 301's would throw red flags. But I'm not going to worry about that. Let em have a good look and see what I'm doing, it will be legitimate.

In this video Matt is even more specific about 301's flowing page rank and anchor text.
    So whoever is saying that 301's or the URL trackers dilute your Google juice they are wrong.

1. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Excellent research and information. Is it okay for me to quote this?

1. MyWebs profile image85
        MyWebsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sure be my guest smile

4. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Yep MyWebs, a 301 redirect will pass PageRank and Anchor text.  Keep in mind that some sites including Twitter use the bit.ly url shortening scheme which is also a 301 redirect, however Twitter nofollow these links so that no benefit is gained in order to stop spammers. Although a 301 looks as if it works as it should here on HP, its always best to check if you are looking for some link love elsewhere.

5. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 6 years ago

Thank you.

It's additional information that can help people understand the mechanics of a tracking link.