jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)

Unexisting Hubber

1. nikipa profile image24
    nikipaposted 7 years ago

I recieved a comment to one of my articles and wanted to see who is the person but it  took me not to the profile of Hubber but to another site. Means no such registred member. How it comes?

The name was Valerie

nikipaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I know, it could be Spam ...

2. vox vocis profile image89
      vox vocisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

In your comment capsule you need to state whether you want to receive comments from people who are not hubbers. It's only normal that an ''outsider'' can comment on hubs.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image71
    SandyMcCollumposted 7 years ago

That's weird, did you try it more than once? Hmm...

No, once was enough...

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 7 years ago

I think people who are not members of HP can comment and link themselves to another web address. Not 100% sure about this though.

1. pddm67 profile image59
      pddm67posted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are correct. I've gotten a few comments from non hubbers.

2. nikipa profile image24

I dont think so... Do you think its possible to post a comment if you are not registred?

3. darkside profile image79
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yep, that's how it works.

If a person allows anyone to post, not just members of HP, they can link to anywhere they wish.

Log out and visit your hub where it has happened and you should see where you can add any name you want as well as a URL.

Ok, let me see... Thanks

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

I too have received these - very odd sad

5. Ohma profile image74
    Ohmaposted 7 years ago

I thought those pages had something to do with hubbers being banned? Maybe I am wrong.

Have no idea... sad

6. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 7 years ago

I've just signed out of HP and posted a comment to your fresh fruits in bed hub, entering a URL for my blog. I've shown up with a link to my name, Krys. Feel free to delete the comment, it was just an experiment.

Yes, I just did the same and understood that anyone can post here comments... Means a lot of Spam... sad

Thank you very much to all of you who helped me to solve this problem.
        Wish you a very productive week!!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not necessarily.  You want to encourage traffic from outside HubPages - you won't earn a cent from other Hubbers, because we don't click on ads.

If someone leaves a good comment and links their name to their own website, that's fine - it's internet etiquette to accept it, provided the link isn't to some spammy website.  After all, you'll want to make comments on other blogs and create a link back to your Hubs, so it's only fair.

7. Mamelody profile image61
    Mamelodyposted 7 years ago

I think in your account settings you are able to select if you want comments from non hubbers as well..

8. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

I get ppl who aren't on hubpages commenting sometimes...it's allowed

By the way welcome to hubpages!

9. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 7 years ago

When you edit your comments capsule you can opt whether you want anyone to be able to post, only registered users or only allow comments to be visible once you have approved them. This determines who can and can't post on your hub and if their comment will be visible immediately or not. This is a choice you make on a hub by hub basis. Non-registered commenters do not have to link to an email address at all as far as I am aware, they simply post, and that is it. Hope this has helped explain things better smile

Yes, thank you for all your helpful comments. Nice to find out something new.

10. RedElf profile image83
    RedElfposted 7 years ago

When I receive comments form non-hubbers, I always follow their link and see if I want to link from them. Many ARE spammers who post one or two words and then slap in their link to get the traffic.

If I want to leave their link, then I will, but most often, I copy their link into my comment, say thanks, and then delete their original link. If it's a nasty site, I don't bother, to keep the comment -I just delete it.

But SPAM is the main reason I always check the first check-box in the links capsule so that nothing is displayed until I have a chance to see it!

Cheers! big_smilebig_smile

11. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

spam just delete it big_smile  we all get them too.

12. flread45 profile image79
    flread45posted 7 years ago

That outfit scares me lyricsingray!!smile

13. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 7 years ago

I agree with Marisa that "If someone leaves a good comment and links their name to their own website, that's fine - it's internet etiquette to accept it, provided the link isn't to some spammy website.  After all, you'll want to make comments on other blogs and create a link back to your Hubs, so it's only fair."

14. nikipa profile image24
    nikipaposted 7 years ago

Thank you for all useful information.

working