jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)

LinkedIn

1. jenblacksheep profile image79
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

I've just joined LinkedIn but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it. Is anyone on linkedin and want to add me or connect wit me or whatever it is you do with it?? especially people in the UK, but I'm not really fussy!

1. profile image0
      Kenrick Chatmanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I used LinkedIn extensively. You can join up to 50 LinkedIn Groups and participate in discussion, share news, and so on..

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

I just joined linkedin too. smile

I was offered by Sue Adams. Wasn't sure myself about it. smile

3. rocknrodeogirl profile image76
    rocknrodeogirlposted 7 years ago

I joined linkedin a few years ago. I never really use it much though. I signed up more for curiousity then anything. smile

4. jenblacksheep profile image79

I'm looking for a job so I thought it could be really useful for that. My attempt to be sociable without actually talking to anyone! I'm Jen Shaw if you (or anyone else) wants to 'connect' with me big_smile

1. Wendi M profile image81
      Wendi Mposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Jen, you can look for me on LinkedIn if you'd like...I'm listed as Wendi Maitland.

5. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

My husband used it extensively when he was looking for jobs.  You don't want to link with friends who are not in the same business as your are.  You want to network with people (and their people) who are IN the business you want to be in.

1. classicalgeek profile image87
      classicalgeekposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I disagree. My attorney's nanny read the recommendation for she wrote for me on LinkedIn and is now a client, even though my attorney and I are in vastly different fields. LinkedIn is not about who is in your immediate circle, but your second, third, fourth, and fifth-degree connections.

6. jenblacksheep profile image79

I don't know what business I want to be in. I think that's part of the problem. There's only one person that I sort of know that would be a useful person to link, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to do so. I'm not really sure about LinkedIn etiquette ... any thoughts?

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Only from what I gathered from my hubby, it was strictly business for him to link in with other program managers & engineers who worked in the same line as he did.  He also linked into the companies he was looking for a job at - many larger companies have a Linkedin page.

I would start with a professional bio and add your resume.  You will get people wanting to add you to their networks - watch out specifically for spammers and the almighty internet marketers who want your first child lol for their products.  Join groups that interest you.

7. jenblacksheep profile image79

Ok, interesting. Going to take me a while to get sorted on this thing. I am really only interested in using for business but I thought adding people (like those on hubpages) may just provide some useful contacts or give me inspiration ... someone that knows someone that could get me a job!

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is a good plan.

8. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Hey Jen, I just sent you an invitation. smile big_smile

9. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

I have been a member for a while and haven't had much participation, like some others.

10. jenblacksheep profile image79

Ye, just got it! Nice one! I don't feel like a total loser now. I searched for hubpages in the groups, apparently there's a group with 23 people in it, not set up by any of the hubpages staff though.

11. jenblacksheep profile image79

Thanks for your help Jane big_smile

12. donotfear profile image92
    donotfearposted 7 years ago

I'm on Linkedin but don't really use it. What name are you listed under?

jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Jen Shaw

13. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 7 years ago

Hi Jen,

It will be useful for you to join business groups focusing on the region where you would like to find work. I'm in a couple and people do post news of various types of jobs from time to time. Also, you may be able to identify potential employers for on-spec applications.

jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanx for the advice! I'll try doing that.

14. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I'm also on LinkedIn and haven't used it much.

15. Money Glitch profile image85
    Money Glitchposted 7 years ago

Hi Jen;

I'm on LinkedIn for the purpose of seeking a job as well.  I agree with the advice that Jane@CM has given you.  A few other tips would be that the communication within the business groups are more restrictive than HP because 99.5 conversations are about business, a job seeker, and or a markerter is attempting to sell his/her products.

It is not as easy to fan/follower an individual as it is on HP either. You just about have to know them or at least be within the same group as that individual.

I do like the fact that there are job listings there within the site location and I've meet some great recruiters that otherwise I would not have had access to. However, if you're looking to generate traffic to HP, personally, I have not had much success in accomplishing that at all! O.k. that's my two cents.  Good luck on your job hunt...smile

working