jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

If you had your own forum/message board...

1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

yes I'm bored!

If you could administer/run your own forum how would you run it?

Have it public or private?
    What platform would you use?
    Would you moderate it heavily or lightly?
    Would you have more than one moderator?
    What forum topics would you use?

I would use the V-Bulletin platform. It would be private (must register to use the board), I'm iffy on moderation, I'd have wide variety of forum topics & create forums based on what the users wanted.  smile

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would make it public and heavily moderated.  But that's just my preference.

1. 0
        cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i would make it private and only viewable to members. i would restrict accounts to one only, so no sock puppets allowed. it would also be heavily moderated. if people didn't like that, they could go elsewhere where they can run amok.

2. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

I actually do have my own forum on one of my websites. I use SMF, freeware. However the next one I make will be with V-Bulletin.

As for topics, you want your forum to be based on what your website is about. In fact one of the most common reasons to have a forum is to attract traffic. So you want to stick to your subject.

I mod it by myself because frankly it's very hard to get many people to join a forum that is not big. So I don't have much to do, lol!

Just in case I get offers here to join, it's an adult forum for a very narrow niche. So,,,, thanks but I don't think your interested. big_smile

3. thisisoli profile image73
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I have had a few attempts at building forums, only a couple took off.

I found PHPBB a really good tool, and with a few plugins I managed to get it 100% ad free, with only manual submitters getting through (Which happened about once a year).

Even the forums which had some success, never really made much money.  It's a shamee but there you go.

I did actually start one called fictionwritingforum.com. but took it down because I had no free time to work on it sad