jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Wanted: suggestions for new maths hubs

1. EmpressFelicity profile image84
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

I've published a few hubs on topics in basic maths (percentages, fractions, ratio etc.) and they're getting a fair number of views, so I'd like to do some more hubs in this subject area.  Any and all suggestions for topics gratefully received.  I'm especially interested in doing hubs that explain areas of everyday maths which people find difficult/tricky.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What about trigonometry - explaining how it is possible to measure the height of a tall tree waiting to be cut down, by measuring the angle of the shadow or whatever it is they use using trig. I've forgotten. When at school I couldn't see the point of it all, but a few years later as an adult returner it all made sense. If you're good at maths you'll know what I mean.
      Wasn't it something like measuring the distance someone is standing from the tree, and the angle from where he stood...

2. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

On e thing I know many kids struggle with is finding the perimeter and area of an object.

3. EmpressFelicity profile image84
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

Many thanks for both these suggestions - the trigonometry one with the tree is an idea I hadn't thought of!  (You've given me an idea for a more general hub, actually... watch this space.)

4. DanPowers profile image77
    DanPowersposted 6 years ago

I guess you could just pick ideas out of a math text book. I doubt these kinds of hubs will make you rich though!

1. Ms Chievous profile image81
      Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I bet Empress will do quite well with the math hubs!  Do you know how many kids will be looking for math help or math answers online?