jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Personal Thank you!

1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

I want to thank the following people for encouraging me and giving me sound advice on registering domain names & setting up my own website!  I finally DID IT!

Thank you guys for your help, advice, encouragement and dealing with a 48 year old wannabe

Mark Knowles

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're very welcome Jane and I hope you do well with your new site. 

The 24 to 48 hours is just a guideline.  Soon after you change your nameservers on Godaddy to hostgator you should be ready.  If you type in your domain name and you see the hostgator parked page then your site is ready.  If you're putting a wordpress theme on the site that is easy too, just go to the fantastico icon in the hostgator cpanel, click on it then select wordpress from the list on the left and it will install the platform for you.  I'm not familiar with blogger or any other blog platform.   Anyway, good luck.

2. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 6 years ago

Wow! You have quite a support group there Jane smile. Congrats on setting up your own website.

Jane@CMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

They were each so helpful, and knowledgeable.

3. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

Jane, I'm just so glad you have that kind of support big_smile

4. lorlie6 profile image84
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

That's so exciting, Jane-somewhere you should let us know what it is!

Jane@CMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, it takes 24-48 hours to get my domain name transfered from godaddy to hostgator.  I've been working on the backside of hostgator trying to set up a wordpress blog, seems I'm only allowed one - I thought it was more than one sad  And the one they gave you is a generic page & I tried to download a theme I liked, but again, it fails on download.  So it may be awhile.

I also tried to download a website background from the download tool in Hostgator and that failed three times!

I could use one of the guys sitting over my shoulder about now!

1. sunforged profile image68
        sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hmm.. I hit reply and I get this message

"The post you are replying to is over two months old. Please DO NOT reply UNLESS you have truly new information to add to this conversation. Consider creating a new forum topic instead."

this post is only 6 minutes old right?

5. ThoughtfulSpot profile image81
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 6 years ago

Very exciting stuff! Good for you!

6. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Congratulations Jane. Great job. smile

7. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

all right Jane. That is great news getting your own website up and running. Okay details woman details....or would that be considered self promotion on here?

8. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

anyways...you have unlimited subdomains with HG , each of those subdomains can have a wordpress install and its own domain associated with it

I can try and dig up some videos and tuts for you..BUT, one of the reasons I recommend HG is they have great customer service and they will walk you through the process on the phone or through chat and even check for mistakes for you

so dont fear..you can have as many sites as you want on that HG account and there is still tons of help around wink

9. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

I figured it out YAY ME!  Picking a theme is darn hard!  There are just to many lol

10. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

Cool, Jane!  You couldn't go wrong with those guys helping you!  Good luck and have fun.