Who owns the comments on my hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I'm assuming I do, but is this the case?

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

If you have the power to remove them, hide them, delete them, I would assume they are yours, to the same extent your hub is yours....

why? If it helps any, I give all my comments (on your hubs) to you to do with as you wish...

Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, thanks DM, I'll use them as I see fit. big_smile

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHAH!! Ok.  smile  your welcome.

2. LovelyThoughts profile image61
      LovelyThoughtsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You go girl!  Do not listen to that other guy, he sounds like he likes to kiss butt.

1. profile image0

ROTFL...lol Thank you. But do you mean Misha?
        Thats so funny....no, he does not kiss butt.(Unless it a pretty butt...)  I promise.  smile
        HP does indeed have the right to override anything, as this IS thier website.  but they usally wont. Mostly, they may possably delete something you have allowed, if it is against the rules for Adsense.  thats all.

1. LovelyThoughts profile image61

I thought you guys were talking about Hp bringing back deleted comments or something.  Never mind then.  I just cannot suffer men who act like they know it all though, but that's just me.  I am a maverick that way, and not very pretty.

1. profile image0

I know, its not nice for anyone to act like they know everything. Thanks anyway for the compliment. And this is a good place to get questions answered, if you can sift thru it all.

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Since HP can theoretically override any of your decisions, at the end they do smile

True, was just curious as I get a lot of pretty good real-life ghost stories, etc.  And was toying with the idea of including some of them in something else I may or may not get my ass in gear to work on. smile

1. profile image0

If you can get your ass in gear better then I can get mine..you can HAVE my stories..

Thanks, it'll probably never happen, lol, but you never know. smile

1. profile image0

well...yeah, I know..ya know? If you do ever need a story or two for something or other, give me a shout.

I think Misha is right, you would just have to try to get the commentors permisson. Wich may be hard, lots of your commentors are 14 year olds with no HP profile? Oujia boards seem to be a big thing for teens?...yikes..

1. Misha profile image64
              Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Justine smile

Liking your new old pic - is it safe already? wink

LOL As for outsiders comments - I would check HP disclaimers, they just have to have some language about whom copyright to those belongs to, and likely people sign to give up their copyright by the fact of posting comments. smile

1. profile image0

thanks smile
                its never safe
                I need to live tho....

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58

Good idea Misha, thanks, I'll get onto it.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58

Exactly, I remember reading a big debate on webpronews or something a while back about it, but can't remember the outcome.

But the fact that this is HP and not my own personal website might confuse matters even further.

Ah well, lol. smile

2. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think in that sense HP do not own anything. It's rather you or comment poster - so I would just ask a permission of a comment poster to use their story. smile

That could be tricky, it would probably be impossible to locate most of them.

3. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a different subject all together.  You're asking if the comments are copyright protected by the commenter.  That's a good question but I would assume they are although not registered with any copyright agency.

Yep, that was exactly my question, it's a tricky one.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. LovelyThoughts profile image61

I might be new at this, but that just sounds funny.  If the girl above deleted her comments, why would HP bring them back.  I say if you can delete it and you wrote the hub, you own it!

4. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Ownership belongs to HP, control belongs to you. Sort of....

HP has to answer to their advertisers and I'm sure it is a very rare occasion that on a commercial hub the author would allow anything that is against HP's TOS, such as links to adult sites, but when they do and another hubber or staff member points it out then HP has no choice but to moderate the comment.

hmmmm, I had a feeling this was going to get confusing, my thoughts were more concerning my rights to reproduce the comments of visitors on paper, as part of a book or e-book or something.

5. livewithrichard profile image73

"hmmmm, I had a feeling this was going to get confusing, my thoughts were more concerning my rights to reproduce the comments of visitors on paper, as part of a book or e-book or something."

LOL I'm slow but I'm caught up now smile

6. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

I think the people who wrote the comments. Since most of them are hubbers, you can email them for permission to use the comments.

Unfortunately most of them aren't hubbers.

7. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Have to agree with Misha and Richard

Copyright is automatically granted to the author as soon as something is published. I am not 100% sure, but I suspect that comments fall into that category.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear sad

Nope, not really what I wanted to hear, lol, but it was what I was half expecting. smile

8. Haunty profile image75
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

In most cases the authors of the comments retain the copyright in their original works (given it is original work), but the website operator obtains a non-exclusive, royalty free license to use and publicly display all comments posted to their site (given this license to comments is stated in the TOS).

That sounds kind of promising, although that sounds more like HP own them, and not me, hmmm.

9. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Good idea from Misha - it might be worth emailing the team. If HP does have the right to comments, they may be happy for you to use them in return for publicity. At least you will get an answer straight from the horse's mouth smile

I doubt they like me much at the moment, as I was the only person to call their new large survey ads spammy, lol.

But I'll give it a go. smile

Thanks for your help.

10. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Thanks to all for your advice, if I get a definitive answer to this I'll post it back here at some point.

Many thanks.

11. livewithrichard profile image73

It's a sticky situation, I just read through the TOS again and it states that HP provides Authors a service and the tools to publish and that authors retain the copyrights to any and all "author content" and also "hub content" where author content is anything that a posted anywhere on HP, including forum posts (which also means the comments)  Hub content is anything posted on the hubs.

By those definitions, if I commented on your hub then I, as a member of HP, own the copyright to that comment as I own the copyright to this post.

Your best bet is to change up the comments you want to use so it will be considered a derivative of the original which is completely legal and then yours.

Excellent, thanks for taking the time, I've just been doing a little reading around the net myself and it does appear that those who comment retain copyright to said comments.

Guess I'll just have to chuck them through Misha's mates spinning program. smile

1. profile image0

or start a new thread asking for permission to use others comments...I wouldn't hold my breath on that one tho...

Same problem as before though, most of the comments aren't from fellow hubbers, but from randoms passing through.

1. profile image0

I know. Ive read them..it IS a book!!
            AND of the hubbers..youll be hard pressed to get enough to "give away" anything..
            hmm..maybe I shouldn't have said that...sorry Mr V if that was worng..
            I think I have developed forumattackaphobia.....

lol, 'tis all good, was just one of those ideas that might have had potential, you never know.

Think I'll add that one to the to-do pile, and come back to it later. big_smile

Off for a bit, back laters, take it easy. smile

1. profile image0

bye. have a good night.  smile

12. Haunty profile image75
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

That's right.

Here's what the TOS say:

HubPages does not claim ownership of Your Hub Content or Author Content. Such content will be owned by You or a third party from whom You got permission to post the content.

By posting Author Content on the Service, You grant HubPages a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license to reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, distribute, modify, adapt and publish the Author Content on or in connection with the Service.

Blimey, didn't realize they had quite as many rights to do what they liked with our work.  I guess that's standard TOS though.

Cheers Haunty.

1. Haunty profile image75
        Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it kind of sucks. But it's necessary, because if it wasn't in place comment authors could possibly claim that in some way through their comments they contribute to the revenue generated from Adsense ads and so deserve a share of that revenue. I know this is partly the reason, but since it's legal stuff I don't even try to meddle in it.

True, makes sense, they're not getting their hands on my money though, lol, there's not enough to go around. wink

I guess just re-writing them, changing names, etc. would be the best way to go.

13. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I would say the commentor hold overall rights, but its a tricky situation!

It certainly is.

I'm thinking I could probably just use them and get away with it and nobody would ever be the wiser, but you never know.

14. alexandriaruthk profile image70
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

I think the comments are owned by the hubber because it is part of the hub itself??

Don't you go confusing matters now, hehe, just kidding, i'm very confused now. big_smile

Here's some more info for anybody who's interested: http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/ … g-comments

I'm wondering if adding something to my hubs that states by commenting visitors agree to pass copyright of said comments over to me would be legal, hmmmmm.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)