jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

pictures and videos in a hub?

1. premierkj profile image79
    premierkjposted 6 years ago

I have just joined hubpages and I'm not sure what the rules are regarding content of a hub. Can I get a picture from google images and paste it into a hub? can i attach a video from youtube or do i need special permission? These answers are probably somewhere in FAQ's but i haven't found them. Thanks for any help.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

You have to make sure the pictures from Google images are copyright free or give permission for you to post them. You can link to the YouTube videos without asking for permission.

3. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

One thing about videos to consider is to be sure the video content is actually owned by the person who uploaded the video, otherwise you too could be violating copyright laws. 

An example of this could be a video which uses music which the video-maker has helped themselves to, such as a favourite song perhaps.  Liking a song does not bestow the legal right to use it, and while most video hosting sites ask that users comply with copyright laws, some users somehow imagine this doesn't apply to them. smile

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

If the YouTube video is flagged for violations it will be removed from YouTube and you will get a notification in your "my account" page that there is a problem with the video. You will not face any actions because you embedded it on HubPages.

1. premierkj profile image79
      premierkjposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks a million, your very kind to help me. I'll be sure to take your advice on board.

5. fits4life profile image60
    fits4lifeposted 6 years ago

What about the pictures. Like photo bucket or google? Can we go there and grab them or do we have to have an account and permission?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't use images from Photobucket.  The great majority of those images were stolen from the original copyright holder.

As I posted on another thread, strictly speaking you can use Photobucket photos, but it's the same as buying a plasma TV from the back of someone's van, even though you know it's stolen.

If you're a writer, I assume you wouldn't want to steal the work of another creative artist (a photographer), even third-hand.

You can search Google Images filtered by licence (you want to select "for commercial use") - but it's not very reliable.  Google states it's up to you to check the copyright before you use the photo.

I use Flickr (use the Advanced Search, click Creative Commons and for commercial use at the bottom).  Then all you have to do is thank the photographer in your text and include a link to their photostream.

1. Annie May profile image61
        Annie Mayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ah thanks for that Marissa- that clears up a lot of questions for me.

6. shazwellyn profile image83
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

You cant 'paste' pictures in your hub but you can use the photo capsule!  Just thought it might help! x