Hello from Pam Grundy

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 107 discussions (369 posts)
  1. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

only thing I am learning tonight - how to be a sock puppet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGGTfuM1RGM

occupy minds - take over world

bruuuaaaaaahhaahahahahaha!

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

SweetiePie I get that you might think it trivializes Communism or the Camps to compare today to them. But for some people their reality is that it could happen.

I watched Glen Burns' the Civil War last night. Do you realize that Abe Lincoln imprisoned people without trials or bail, with no authorizaton from Congress. And when the Head Justice of the Supreme Court complained, Lincoln almost threw him in jail. There have been many times when we have been close to losing our rights.

3. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago
  4. profile image0

I'm so hungry right now, I'll eat it! It's very late on the East Coast of the US - so good night everyone.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sweet dreams Nelle smile

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I just commented on that blog maybe others should do the same my comment was far from negative,in fact I was surprised by PGrundy's comment in fact a little disappointed since I truly respected her. Lita's is a different situation altogether and the person who started the blog apparently did not read the rules and was upset. HP has always been there for me including when I had a stalker and they have always resolved any issues I may have had, we should never be a problem and we should always find a solution, just my opinion. smile

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

yare yare...something new on HP.

Anyways, ohayou gosaimasu.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohayo gozaimasu.  Ogenki desu ka?

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

genki desu...anata wa?

1. profile image0

Watashi mo.  Hajimemashite!  Mata atode...  lol

Itterasshai..

2. ReuVera profile image82
            ReuVeraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow.... what language is it, if I may ask?

1. profile image0
              china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

obviously they are talking marmite !

1. ReuVera profile image82
                ReuVeraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ahhhh......so I thought too.
                Vattate quarava.

1. AEvans profile image72
                  AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehehehheeheh , good nite! smile

2. profile image0

Oops, sorry, that was intrusive.  It's Japanese.  smile

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I wonder if they are happier now, Lita and Pam.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know? What is really interesting is that I posted something positive about hubpages on that blog with this link and the owner of there blog would not post my comment. Apparently they are only taking negative ones to boost there page rankings. I honestly do not know what happened with Lita but PGrundy all of us thought left on good terms and was just looking for change so many of us were shocked by her comment. It just goes to show that you never know who the people really are. sad

I see many people here from Warrior forum, and they want only backlinks and link wheel from Hubpages. If they don't get backlinks and some affiliate success with their black-hat way, all they can do is flame back. There is limit to which any community management can look into, maddie did good job of commenting only once on that blog. There is no need for more comments as they are just going to flame back without any constructive discussion.

2. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes AE, they are happier, both of them and doing well.

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I think it is going too far myself. TK going after lita I mean.

9. earnestshub profile image80

The BBC tell it straight in all their world sites. The journalism is professional, and they try to be truthful, interviewing the "bad guy" and getting his version as well.
    I love the fact that they can cover every country on the ground.

I like that what you believe is left up to you by a good journo! smile

1. SweetiePie profile image81
      SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I admire the BBC for that.  Every other website has a slant.  There are a couple of commentators I like on CNN, but so many of them are almost becoming puppets to compete with Fox.  A couple of the commentators on MSNBC are interesting too, but they are just as controversial as Fox in many ways.

10. earnestshub profile image80

Obama must be right on the money. Loons from both extremes hate him! smile

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wink

11. profile image0

okay, as I was falling asleep, I realized why I felt Pam's comments about HP were a real cheap shot.

While I feel HP is more like a corporate office I hang out in, Pam treated this community as a place to get emotional strength. During bad times she posted numerous topics for prayers and help. And this community responded with warmth and concern - and for quite a period of time. Whenever Pam needed her community, the community rallied.

I wasn't a part of this response - but I watched the good hearts of people who were. Perhaps her comments were only aimed at the HP team, but it still doesn't feel right to me. Because it is the HP team who really allowed this community the space to happen.

okay, now that I understand my emotional reaction and apparently had the need to explain to all of you, I can return to the side of "He who snores."

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think you might have hit on something there Nelle.

2. Misha profile image63

Thanks Nelle, I think you nailed what exactly irked me about her post, I was not clear myself why I felt that way. Yeah, biting a giving hand, this will do it...

12. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Wow!  Just think how much she would be making if this was one of her hubs!

13. Laura du Toit profile image75
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

It beats me that an intelligent person can spend two years before deciding that they are wasting their time and effort smile

14. LOT2DO profile image40
    LOT2DOposted 14 years ago

There's already a link pointing to this thread:

http://www.reverbstudios.ie/blog/pedant … mment-4357

15. skyfire profile image79

On that blog people are complaining about backlinks and promotional stuff and they don't realize that they're spamming. They don't even have clue about what is white-hat and black-hat when it comes to content & SEO.

Check this comment:

This guy will teach us about scam and SEO ?Lol, he dropped his own link on that blog and called Hubapges scam, he took advantage of this situation and got his backlink. I'm sure that this guy spammed Hubpages for sure.

16. Tenerife Islander profile image69
    Tenerife Islanderposted 14 years ago

I must admit I was surprised to read such a bitter post by Pam about this place. Like her I have not had much success at making money here but that I know is because I haven't known how to and nothing to do with this site or the people who run or use it! I am very grateful to Marisa Wright who has taken the time to give me a lot of tips on where I was going wrong. It is a learning process and I am counting on getting it right eventually.
    I have left a comment in support of hubpages on the other site!

17. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

What I'm interested to know, is the banned member who has returned going to be allowed to stay?

18. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Well I did post on the blog earlier and they did approve it.

However now Im getting all the updated comments and I must say it is getting very ugly.

In fact the one dude is even getting quite personal.

By the way I guess we are all Hubpage drones

Dale

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Darren is a special kind of loser isn't he?

I believe people have the right to say what they want, as I have said. But Darren goes too far.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, you can't say that, Darren is obviously a very very hard man, he'll take you all on, with one hand tied behind his back, yeah...

Just as soon as his mammy has finished wiping his bottom for him.

1. profile image0

I love that comment about "pussies hiding in cyberspace" lol lol

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57

It's a classic.

Is there a saying that goes something along the lines of 'it's difficult to see the nose on your own face'.  Something like that anyway, and if there isn't, there should be. big_smile

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57

Hang on a minute, was that a joke about your avatar?  There sure do seem to be a lot of cats hiding out here at times. lol

19. seamist profile image60
    seamistposted 14 years ago

I guess I missed PR's negative comments, but I saw some of them before she left. If you read and look between the lines, I think she was just frustrated. She saw other people's hubs on how they were making money, and even though she was trying hard, from what I read in her posts, she felt she wasn't making enough. Towards the end of her writing stint, she was really trying hard. She was really pumping out the hubs. I think she just couldn't understand all the seo involved to make money here. I get frustrated with that too. Everyone has a different opinion about how to rank at the top, and if you're not an SEO expert, it can be confusing what to believe and what not to believe.

I've thought about the difficulty to make money here for a long time. I think it would be nice if Hubpages had a free course for Hubbers explaining everything: on page optimization, off page optimization, keyword research, etc. That way those who are ambitious enough to learn could eventually start making money and those who aren't --- it would be no one's fault but their own.

Anyway, the course would benefit Hubpages too since they earn 40% of our adsense. I realize there may be probems with some people joining Hubpages just to get the course. Consequently, maybe they could limit the course to Hubbers who have published over 100 hubs or some other criteria to show they are serious in writing for Hubpage. Anyway...it's just an idea.

20. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

I am shocked by reading the posts on that site. It sickens me the anger and hatred that is brewing there, and the site seems to be full of venomous trolls all spewing insults at anyone who dares to defend hubpages. I read through all the comments, and I commented myself, but in general I left the site feeling as if I wanted to check the soles of my shoes and then go and take a shower to wash away all the negativity and poison. Apparently anyone who defends hubpages has to be "working for them" or be 'hiding behind their keyboards in cyberspace saying things they would never say face to face' ????????? I too am disappointed in Pam by seeing her lowering herself to the level of mixing with these kinds of people.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they make a habit of visiting that site. I take it as they just posted something when they found an anti-Hub site. I'm sure they do not agree with Darren.

21. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I must say that I do not agree with Lita or Pam on everything they said. But one must know that Pam has had a rough time of it lately (I won't get into that)she is a friend and has become disenchanted with writing as a whole for internet sites period. She was venting as we all do at times. She is currently stretching her wings as a writer, a real writer and don't be surprised if you see her do a wonderful book. She is a sweet person and I am learning more and more from her daily. I have no comments in regard to Lita.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That pretty much sums up my view, Ralwus. smile

On the one hand, I can understand her point about the slightly misleading 'make money' adverts. On the other hand, I write sales and advertising copy, so I have to point the finger at myself, in that case. Advertising is a murky world!

Pretty much agree with you all about the 'Keyboard Warrior!' No need for that.

PS: Thisisoli - The troll harassing Lita was banned. It is back under another name smile

22. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I posted a comment in support of hubpages but I suppose I had better go back and see if anyone has posted anything since attacking what I said! If they have I am not going to bother responding though!

23. profile image0

Thanks for that Sufi. How are ya?

Not bad, old buddy.

Lots of work, but I am having a little break.

Spring is nearly here and the flowers are coming out smile

How are you doing? I hope that you are hale and healthy.

24. skyfire profile image79

I just realized that i turned into Drone by commenting there.

25. profile image0

LOL Not so hearty as I would like, but doing well enough. Ahh, spring, it won't be long in coming here as well. Up to my ass in snow right now almost. Got to git now, so you take care and enjoy the weather over there in paradise.

Likewise - got to get back to work. The website won't write itself!

Have a good day - take care smile

26. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

classy, misha.

maybe open a thread about people where they can respond to the vitriol.

27. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the comments from this site be duplicated here?
    I don't want to go back and read anti-hubpages crap on another monetized site, knowing that each time I do, I am making money for the author?
    Maybe it's best just to ignore it....?

28. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I think people are personalizing what Pam and Lita had to say about this site, when in reality their opinions have nothing to do with the majority of people here.  It has to do with their personal interactions with people on the forum, and later the hubs.  By the way Lita was well off the forum when she started being harassed nightly by tk.  I do not see this thread as defending Hubpages honor, and I know many are personally offended by Pam's comments, but take the time to differentiate and realize it has to do with their experiences, and not their opinion of everyone.  They have a right to their opinions, and not everyone is going to love every site.  If Pam does not like commercial writing, she has the right not to like it. 

I personally could care less about commercial writing myself, but if you take the time to read her comment I can assure you it is not directed towards the site in general.  I have no interest in commenting on that guy's site though because I think he wrote it to get page views, etc.  He has a right to his opinion, and this thread was not started to defend Hubpages honor.  It reads, you think Pam is such an nice person, well read this...  It sounds like something people did on Mean Girls, and I can guarantee Pam is not going around cyberspace starting threads about individuals saying oh you think so and so is not nice.  This entire thread is like the movie Mean Girls!

1. profile image0

Yes, but when someone says "I wasted two years of my life on Hub Pages", then it does seem like a bit of a slap in the face - not least (like Nelle said) to the people who gave Pam moral support when she needed it.

Would it not have been better for her to have said something like "I spent two years on Hub Pages, during which I found my voice as a writer.  I met some nice (and not-so-nice) people, but I didn't make much money there because I never got my head round SEO and in any case I don't want to go down the commercial writing route and would rather market my articles elsewhere"?

How is that a slap in your face?  She feels she wasted her time because she was not enjoying her experiences her, and it was time to move on.  I actually admire people who are willing to say something, even when it is not popular.  She is only talking about her experiences, and she is not talking about anyone who is still here in particular.  I happen to not like the Tea Party, and I would surely hope people who support it realize that is my right.  We are all entitled to our opinions, and that does not make person a bad person.  Okay, but I like to differentiate.  This thread was started declaring Pam is not a nice person because of her opinions, when all it is is that most people do not agree with her. 

I must add I do not agree with everything Nelle said about Pam asking for all the support she did.  You guys are making her out to be an ungrateful child or something of the like.  Have you never all heard of personality conflicts?  Pam did not like it here, and she is still in contact from many from the site.  Pam was not particularly religious, and she never started threads asking for prayers.  She shared what was happening to Bill, and people who pray offered prayers to her.  There is a difference.

29. profile image0

I'd like to say thank you to all of the Hubbers who went "over there" to set the record straight. Yes Pam has a right to her opinion, as do the rest of us.

And I'd also like to voice my continued support of the HP Team. They are mature and talented professionals who have created a fabulous platform - to make of it, what each of us will in our own way.

And to Misha for bringing this to our attention. We are a shared site and to some extent we all depend on each other for continued success.

Well the thread did not have to be opened to imply Pam is a bad person, etc.  This thread could have stated how  people do not agree with this site Pam posted on because Hubpages is great in their view.  This gratitude thing is a two way street, and I think to some extent Hubpages should also be grateful people write and provide content on this site.  If Pam decided to go, her choice.  She is not an ingrate because she does not like it the way others do.  I do not particularly like the site everyone was commenting on there either.  I know that may surprise some people, but I think that guy wrote it because he got in trouble for writing an overly promotional clickbank type of hub.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not come to this thread because the title implied Pam said bad stuff about HP.  "Hello from Pam Grundy" did not imply anything of the sort to me.

I have written on other sites and appreciate HP because of the experiences gained on those other venues. Pam and Lita are entitled to their opinions as we all are, but because they had problems, both with HP and their expectations, they left. Actually they could still be here, but whatever. 

There are many personalities here, just like in real life, so clashes are inevitable.  I even suspect there may be some who don't like me here.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear hear Nelle!

I would also like to thank Misha for bringing this to our attention. I have no comment to make on Pam Grundy, we barely knew each other, nor did I know the other people mentioned, but when Hubpages gets berated as it has been on this external link, it is something we should all be aware about, if we care about the platform on which we choose to write.
      I have no problem with Hubpages - in fact more power to their elbow when they choose to not allow spamming and pornographic content.
      Before someone tells me otherwise, I KNOW this is because the affiliate programs also do not like this.
      Well, neither do I.
      I love having a platform where I write without all that crap.

30. profile image0

SweetiePie whether it was prayers or requests for emotional support only - who knows - perhaps it was too late when I wrote that sentence. But you're splitting hairs. The fact is she turned to this community constantly when Bill was sick. And that was fine. Now she is bashing this community in a very public way - and the many in the community aren't happy about it.

Freedom of expression goes both ways.

31. profile image0

SweetiePie I get it Pam is a friend of yours and you are supporting her.

But when you describe the HP team as she did, which I won't even repeat out of respect for them. Then you get a fight from me.

Everyday when I see my revenue from adsense, amazon, and ebay - that is how the HP Team thamks me and respects me. They gave me great tools and I use them. As I said, I see HP as a business - I don't really approach it on the emotional level that Pam did. When I need emotional support I go to my off-line friends and family.

You know what I support your right to feel how ever you like.  I do not take her comment about admin to be a personal attack on anyone though, and it is her opinion.  I think the others commenting there were much more lurid, and she was quite tame.

2. SweetiePie profile image81

Nelle I find the last comment on your part a bit harsh.  Pam did not rely on Hubpages for emotional support as much as you think, and many others come to the threads every day to share their life struggles.  Just because you take your support offline does not make it a better way, just different.

32. profile image0

Yes my words were harsh. Did you read what Pam said about the HP staff - I think she has me beat.

Again SweetiePie, freedom of expression works both ways.

Am I telling you not to feel as you do?  Anyway, I am not keeping you from speaking, but I find some of what you said about Pam not to be true.  She does not go around cyberspace looking for emotional support as you seem to think.  Not everyone is going to approach Hubpages as a business, and if they are disenchanted by commercial hubs, well that is their business.  I might add Pam is no longer here, so I think in the end you would be happy as this would give you more time to focus on your projects.  Also, I know for a fact Pam is actually working on her own website this very morning, and not even commenting on any of this.  Just to share.

33. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Where's that dead horse pic when you need it? lol

I actually came here cause I thought it was a thread with info on Pam saying hi from cyber world. Never expected all this.

I think Habee is using the picture in one of her cooking Hubs!

1. drej2522 profile image67
        drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.spooncraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/beat_dead_horse2.jpg

There you go!

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/RaulMonkey/Animated/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

34. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Hubpages-Sucks-Page

I am going to beat them at their own game (This isn't a promotional post ebcause the hub is not commercial) I am simply going to try and beat all the webages regarding Hubpages Sucks with a page that not only talks about how good Hubpages is, but can beat all the sites that say Hubpages sucks tongue

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

great idea, I'll give you a few backlinks to help the cause.

1. Misha profile image63

Me too smile If somebody writes "hubpages scam" hub, I will help with promotion, too smile

1. drej2522 profile image67
          drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmmm...I might just do this...I've been screaming for an idea as of late.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's an awesome idea! cool

35. skyfire profile image79

Misha, you gave that links some dofollow juice. So edit the first post and use "nofollow" tag. That site doesn't deserve to have linkabck.

1. Misha profile image63

I don;t think nofollow is possible on forum posts Sky. Never tried though. Either way it is too late to edit it - the editing timeframe already expired.

And I am off to more positive things - celebrating V day with my family. smile

BTW in Russian tradition today is "forgiving Sunday", when you are supposed to forgive everybody who harmed you during the last year, and move on. So I am forgiving Pam, too - among others smile

Well said Misha. And have fun, Happy valentines day.

2. myownworld profile image75
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I may add, that's the best decision you've made! wink Life's just not worth this negativity...and we cannot fight anyone's right to their opinion, good or bad. Spend happy moments with your family....and do write those hubs...I'll be the first to read them! smile

3. alexandriaruthk profile image68
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what a nice way to celebrate V day

4. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does this mean there were a lot of burgalaries in Russia last night :p

36. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

thanks for posting this Misha. i left a comment over there.

37. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/blatva/Decorated%20images/pattern.gif

just saying...

38. drej2522 profile image67
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

hehe blatva...

1. profile image0
      blatvaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tehe.. I know... >.>

39. ksha16 profile image57
    ksha16posted 14 years ago

haha

40. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I hesitated on posting to this ... heeding my own advice to never jump in when the afterburners are kicked on high.

While what people on that site are saying about Hubpages might seem unpleasant to us, those people are relating how they feel from their own perspective. We can never call someone a liar for expressing an opinion, but we *can* agree that we definitely don't feel the same way.

As for constructing an article praising Hubpages, I'm all for it, as I think it's a more positive way to express our disagreement than a thread full of anger that serves no real purpose and will be gone in several days.

However, I think it highly unwise to do it as a 'Let's show them by saying how they twisted everything wrong' sort of thing.

If you want to do an article that says how great hubpages is then do just that. Don't even look at the detractors as you write it. Be personal and tell how much you love the site and what you love about it.

Better yet ... if your angle is truly to relate how great Hubpages is then let the hubbers write it for you!

Just start a thread asking for hubbers to write what they like the most about Hubpages, add in that all posts in the thread will be added to an article on Hubpages (so that everyone knows up front that's your attempt) and let the masses speak out in an article that will outlive any debate on forums elsewhere.

You could even call it, 'Hubpages Sucks? Really?", which will gather hits from everyone looking up Hubpages, Hubpages sucks, and Hubpages really sucks.

In doing so you will allow the story of the members here to be told and will have done something to promote a site you love.

So, watcha think Misha? Yes? No? I'm in if you'll write the article - though admittedly this will be cut and pasts from a future forum thread.

All I would ask is that there be no negativity to the detractors in such an article, as in doing so you once again give them a voice - for if you mention them, people will look them up for dissenting opinions. After all, those who do not know about something will look for differing opinions to make a clear connection - and one need not steer them to that which provides a message we believe not to be true. smile

1. Misha profile image63

Hi Yoshi,

I think you already started such a thread, and kudos to you, you managed to make it really positive one. smile

Oli already wrote a hub, and even if you think it might not be 100% positive - nobody is perfect, and we all do what we can. Thanks to Oli for taking time to write what he thinks fits the situation.

I personally won't write anything probably - I am not a brilliant writer like Pam, English is not my native tongue, and I am struggling with my several hubs in the works - I don't really need or want to distract myself from those.

But again, whomever writes such a hub, I will gladly help with promotion, be it 100% positive, or just 70% smile

And I did not post this thread because I stumbled on some minuscule blog bashing Hubpages - there are literally dozens if not hundreds of those, it comes with a territory. I posted it because a person whom I among others was giving a sincere support when she was here just spit in my face in return.

No biggie according to some, and they are entitled to their opinions and definitely can continue to turn their other cheek, but still - I personally don't enjoy such jests, and I am entitled to my opinion, too - even if it is not 100% positive. smile

41. ksha16 profile image57
    ksha16posted 14 years ago

lol

42. thisisoli profile image72

It is a shame Pam became disillusioned with the site, but in some ways I think she was disillusioned herself, as to what Hubpages actually is.

Yoshi, you do raise a lot of valid points, and I can see where you are coming from.

However my article is based not at peoples direct opinions of Hubpages directly, but more towards the fact that they are attacking Hubpages for things they did wrong.

On the website that started all this a guy called Darren seemed upset that Hubpages refused his article for duplicate content, content he had posted in other areas.  If he had took even a smidgen of time to read the rules he would have known not to spend the time cutting and pasting that article.

The Hubpages rules are there because they are SEO Best practice, they maintain the quality of the website for all of us. My opinion is that both questions and accusations such as these should be responded to immediately, to ensure that new people looking for the perfect website online are not disillusioned regarding the value of Hubpages.

My Hub was not really about how Goof Hubpages IS, rather it was about How Hubpages is not what these people claim.

Personally though I think even more informative Hubs regarding the power of Hubpages is no bad thing though, go for it big_smile

43. thisisoli profile image72

Lita - "And it proves the point over and over: Unprofessional, clubby, and childish. "
    "I highly recommend anyone with an eye towards professional writing or business do NOT join Hubpages. The only thing you will ultimately gain is a headache from all the childish games–from both management and some of the denizens (trolls) they allow onto the site that call themselves writers."

Pams post was demeaning to the entire Hubpages community as a whole, she levelled the entire lot of us as a load of monkeys sat at typewriters, spewing out material for 'the man'

They started the affront against Hubpages writers, although the Hub I made is not really directed at them, more the internet writer wannabes who have broken the rules and become infuriated because they could not exploit hubpages like the spam filled blogs and squidoo lenses.

I don't know the full stories on either of these authors, so I can only comment on what I know, but one became upset about how a commercial website was attracting commercial writers, the other seems to be annoyed that she was harrased by another member, yet she herself must have done something to be banned.

44. SweetiePie profile image81

You know I know I am sensitive, but reading this thread I can see people are sensitive in ways I am not.  For instance, Pam has always told it like it is in her worldview, and what people loved her for when stating her opinions about other websites and topics, they are now mad at her because she is not in love with Hubpages.  She did not name anyone personal in her post, and it is about her experience. 

I read sites trashing the schools I went too, and I never took these personally.  Some people hated the business program at my school because it was not fully accredited, but our school has a better science department.  I never took anyone's insult about the school I loved as a personal attack because I realize any one site, school, or forum cannot be all things to all people.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't understand how you cannot object to that, being a Hubpages writer yourself. people read and judge all of us based on what others say in the search engines. i'm not mad at Pam for not being in love with Hubpages. actually i am not mad at her at all. or Lita. i am just perplexed. why say anything at all? she left. done deal. who cares what Hubpages does after the fact? if i had left for good, i would not look back. erase them from my memory banks, as it were. neutral

Well if you want to talk to me over the email maybe I can explain some of this to you.  I have demonstrated through my various thread posts why this thread is hurtful, but as I said I realize mine is the minority position.  Like I said previously I read things about schools I loved that people hated, and I never took it personally.  I just happen to know Pam and Lita a bit better than some others, and I saw a lot of things that happened on various forums and hubs.  You do not have to agree with me, but this is where I stand.  No one's opinion about any website or school is going to change where I am or not.

1. thisisoli profile image72
          thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sweetie, I think you are missing the point.

This Hub was not created to put down either Lita or Pam.  Lita has spent so much time spamming forums and blogs that she is old news. 

What seems to have upset many is Pam's outburst, which while not directly against a particular Hubpages, and while mostly against Hubpages staff, she does belittle what nearly every one on Hubpages is trying to do here.

There was no apparent reason for what she said, nor how she said it.

I am not mad at her because of her personal Hubpages experience, I am not realy mad at her at all, although I am annoyed that she suggests that we are all wasting our time, simply because she has never actually done much commercial writing.

Hubpages is like anything, put in the effort and you will be rewarded.

2. Sufidreamer profile image79

I think that it is part of a wider complaint, concerning how the whole freelance market is racing to the bottom. The freelance boards are ridiculous, and swamped by desperate people trying to scratch a few bucks (as is Hubpages!). Hopefully, they will correct themselves, but times are difficult for writers at the moment. I can understand exactly where Pam comes from, although I would have chosen a different target.

Hopefully, many amongst the influx of new writers will realise that they cannot make a quick buck and disappear; writers will, once again, be paid what they are worth.

As you can imagine, this destruction of the freelance board also pisses me off and I feel like venting about it all. However, it has forced me to look at other avenues, so it is not all bad. smile

Lita and Pam are both my friends, and Pam is a colleague, so I join SweetiePie in not wanting to get involved in an emotional debate. Some of you guys have written pro-HP hubs, so hopefully this thread can die and Darren can be forgotten.

PS: Oli - the troll we spoke of is a particularly venomous POS. Darren is nothing compared to it smile

Well said Sufi!  That is what Pam was saying all along, that the online publishing world is just becoming a bit too competitive as it were.  That is great if people want to write affiliate hubs and feel no emotional sting to the rat race of it all.  Personally I am tired of all the SEO and making money online talk, and I think if Pam wants to be published in books and magazines more power to her.  Even though I spend quite a bit of time online, I remember a time back in the nineties when I was blissfully happy without ever using a computer.  In those days reading books was all I did, and to be honest the nights I shut the computer and just read are so great.

45. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

SP Do you agree with Pam and Lita's statements?  If not,why do you get angry when others disagree with them?  If someone said bad things about you, true or not, would you expect those who believed in you to remain silent?  Would you get angry at your supporters?

46. SweetiePie profile image81

For the record Pam did not feel a myriad of comments people made were supportive, and she said so herself.  I do not find this thread kind, cute, or supportive in the least.  Yes the creator is entitled to his opinion, but he cares not when he hurts others, or puts them down on various occasions.  I am past the hurt now, but I will say in the past having someone open a thread about you is not kind or mature in my book.  It is junior high antics.

I understand being the subject of a thread.  Helium stewards had their own private thread in which to vilify me.  Fortunately, there were some good, honest people who were stews.  They were my "deep throats" sending me copies of the threads about me.

They also gave me an honest look at how slimy the site really was.  Some of the stews continued criticizing when they knew I could not respond because of my permanent ban.  There were some members who took up for me though, even at the risk of being banned themselves.  So I do admire your loyalty and I'm sure Pam an Lita do also.  I truly wish the best for them both.

One more thing though.  This "elite" thing reminds me of helium too much.  I do think the people wearing the "e" are simply great at the intended purpose, unlike helium's stews which require them to be "yes Men/Ladies. 

A writing site cannot hide things forever from the members, it will always come out.  So time will tell if Pam and Lita are correct in their assessments of HP.

47. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

that's cool SweetiePie. i have no desire to move this discussion beyond the forums. you're entitled to your thoughts, so is Pam, and Lita and everyone else. cheers! smile

48. skyfire profile image79

Not intended for self-promotion but here is my hub on current situation of frustrating writers on hubpages(i have made this hub as non-commercial as well).

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-people-get- … h-hubpages

49. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Eh...No big deal really.

I think Pgrundy must have ended up having a bad experience that made her bitter. I can't knock her for that. I have no idea whether or not she's a nice person, and I certainly can't tell one way or the other from this--she's merely expressing her feelings/opinions regarding her experience.

There are all kinds of things that make me want to vomit: torturing POWs, stealing children, pedophilia...bad sushi...but this remark just doesn't make the list.

It should be obvious--since she ultimately left, I assume--that her opinion of HP was not a good one anymore. I'm surprised anyone's really surprised.

50. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

it is difficult to write and get paid nowadays because all people are jamming into the Intenet to earn some, but some never learn the trick SEO and all-- it takes patience as well

Arent we glad that we have this site HubPages to write - a site which gives us the opportunity to earn some

I think posting frustrations in another site about what heppened here, specially personal disillusionment -- not earning etc is a childish act

It certainly is difficult to make a living, although it is not all about SEO and marketing - there is still work for 'traditional writers,' but a huge influx of people during the economic crisis drove prices to the bottom.

It is only anecdotal, but there does seem to be a move back towards quality - a good percentage of my gigs are trying to salvage articles written in garbled English. The client tried to save a few bucks and was stung - they end up paying twice!

Sweetie: I used to like those days, too, but we dinosaurs have to move with the times and embrace the electronic age. Like Pam, I have a few books on the go. Hopefully, it is onwards and upwards. smile

I do admit we must move forward, but I still want to publish a book.  I shall do it, but I know you enjoy writing online.  I still enjoy it, but the charm it once had has just worn off for me.  I really want to publish a book now, and discipline myself towards finishing my goals.

hehe - It's not so much writing online because I enjoy it, but because I have to. Without fluent Greek, there is not much call for offline writers in this part of the world.

I am actually not the biggest fan of standard article writing - it's OK and pays the bills, but I prefer the academic work and ghost writing.

A few books are nearing completion, so that keeps my mind busy smile

Well you live in Greece and can enjoy the scenery, so you are lucky that way.  Being bilingual in English and Greek must be pretty cool too smile.

The scenery is a bonus, as is the history!

Bilingual is pushing it - for the last year, I have been working 70 - 100 hour weeks, so I rarely get the chance to practice. I get by, but not as fluently as I would hope.

I am about to put my rates up, so hopefully I can work fewer hours and find a little time to refresh my Greek smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)