Night Owls vs. Day Timers

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (71 posts)
  1. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 14 years ago

I have found it very interesting the variety of people that mix and mingle on HubPages, but what I find more interesting is the difference between the Night Owls and the Day Timers, but it just crossed my mind that a lot of us are in different time zones. 

I'm a Night Owl, much more creative at night or should I say morning.  It's 2:30am here in Texas.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i used to be a night owl. even so, i still keep odd sleeping hours...i get about five or six hours at the most.

1. profile image59
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you do the rest of the time, work?

1. profile image0

smile i work so much even when i'm not working, i'm working. i'm already planning strategies in my head to stay on task, work ahead, etc. sometimes i go to bed and i can 'see' all of my documentation in my mind's eye, and am editing it as i am falling asleep...

1. profile image59

I'm right there with ya!  If it wasn't for work I wouldn't have anything to do at all! smile

1. blondepoet profile image68
              blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good morning Logic what's for breakfast? 7.30am here in Oz.

1. profile image59

G'day BP! 
                Don't you have tons of chocolates from Valentine's Day to sample! smile

No sniff sniff Logic, there is nothing here but two eggs in the fridge and a can of baked beans in the pantry.

1. profile image59

Can I send you some prawns and sushi? smile

2. profile image0
                lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Blonde, how ya been?

Oh, Night Owl btw

2. profile image0

smile

2. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Its 1:30 AM here in Alberta, canada.  I am working night shift but work in a job where I am lucky enough to get lots of internet time most of the time.

Dale

3. double_frick profile image59
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

its almost 1 am here.

is there a real difference in the interaction between day and night on here??

figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I definitely see the same people at different times.  Seems to be more serious people during "office hours".

4. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

4:42 in PA...

1. bonny2010 profile image61
      bonny2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

808pm in Queensland Australia - I work during the day and write at night - I exist on about 4 hours sleep during the week and a bit more on weekends - never could sleep long

I sleep too long ( 8-12 hours), but I sleep during day.  I wake up about 12pm to 3pm in afternoon, depends on how late I stay up writing/researching.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can relate.  I'm in Texas.  And a nightowl.  Have you ever heard of delayed sleep phase syndrome?

No, what is it?

I read up on it.  Can't believe I've never heard of it.  I've been this way all my life, so has my mother and sister.  I know I can't diagnose myself, but sounds like me.

I had a sleep study a few years ago.  It came out in the (extensive) history they did.  What I found out more recently is that we tend to have a 26 hour clock.  This means it is nearly impossible for us to establish a regular sleep schedule without help.  Of course MDs push pharmaceuticals.  I have used various things.  Nothing seems to work forever.  My naturopath prescribed lemon balm drops, which didn't seem to make much impact.  I'm taking skullcap again now.  First time it was a (short-lived) miracle.

And BTW, I've diagnosed myself multiple times.  My speed and accuracy of diagnosis is a better track record than the MDs that wrote me off as having "multiple psychological issues".  Who the hell doesn't?!  Anyway, that's why I "fired" MDs and see a Naturopath now.  Unfortunately insurance doesn't usually cover providers who actually listen to and trust their patients.  hmm

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
                  Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

help can't catch anyone I know

5. VioletSun profile image76
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

Its 2:21 a.m. in Oregon, USA and I will go to bed at around 3 a.m. I more creative in the evenings. I get about 6-7 hours sleep and have good energy.

6. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I like to work late, up until around 2-3am usually.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

It's 12.30 pm here. I'm definitely an owl. Totally useless in the morning. I've been up for 1.5 hours and am still waking up. Often, I need to work most of the day and night to meet my deadlines. When I need a break, I pop in here, so you'll see me around at various times.

8. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

the daytimers seem to be a little more conservative and the nighties a little more risque!

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not surprising! Unless they work night shifts, owls are going to come up hard against the larks, who seem to rule the world of work. I think this in itself will breed antagonism and rebellion towards the system that forces them to do violence to themselves in order to get to work at the ordained time. smile

Well said WriteAngled

2. figment profile image75

I agree logic

Does that make you a night-timer Logic? ROFL.

9. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

2:17 pm CST USA

I get on the computer when I can but still need to go to bed at a reasonable time to get the youngest to school in the morning.

10. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I'm not consistantly a day or night person. Some times I am really motivated in the day, other times I'm online till the early hours of the morning. smile

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I used to be a night owl but I can't stay up too late anymore smile

Me too UW. I am a goner by 10.00pm. If I lay down on the couch to watch a movie at night, I can guarantee I will wake up early hours in the morning wondering where I am.

12. figment profile image75

It's 5pm now in Texas. I see a the same usually 5 o'clockers on the forums, about 12am I start seeing a new group of Hubbers and the Forum popularity's will change.

13. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

I adapt to whatever shift I'm working, but I am at my best in the mornign AFTER my coffee.

14. figment profile image75

Now the Night Owls will come out and play!!

7:30 in Texas

15. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

5:50 in Oregon.  I'm just getting warmed up.

16. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I try to be both. I like the opportunities to get to meet hubbers who are primarily one or the other. As far as creativity I feel I think best at night and write best in the morning.

17. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I have insomnia and sleep maybe 3-4 hours a night so I spend some of that time here smile

I'm a newbie on HubPages, but I love it.  I usually get on here about 3 or 4 pm US Central time until 3 to 7 am in the morning, sometimes if I make it to 7am I'll just stay up and be on here all day (except for when I'm on facebook)

No interaction during the day on my forums.  great responses at night.  Go figure.

1. jonathanacosta17 profile image60
          jonathanacosta17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey figment, how are ya?
          it's 1:34 am here in the phils. is it sick to admit i stay up late for the forums?

i thought i'd experiment today.  i definitely like night time better. its about to be 12 pm here in Texas. I've had no sleep and only one cup of coffee

2. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 14 years ago

I used to stay up all hours of the night - because there were no interruptions - I could actually follow a trail of my thought to its conclusion.  I could be more creative because no one was up to come in and make a critique of my work.  I could play whatever music I wanted.  Everyone had turned off their machines and that buzz in my head was gone - I felt liberated and therefore was more open.  When I started working as a caregiver I was forced to stay awake during the day to be responsive to my client who is awake from 6AM to 12 at night - therefore I don't get my "free-play" time any more and I've noticed that now I've gained weight - eating out of frustration!

Gaaaaah!  I will make you regret that you ever asked the dayvsnight question!  lol

NEVER!! I have no regrets!  : )

3. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 14 years ago

I actually miss the feeling of no-sleep - that kind of alien brain quality to day-time when you've had no sleep and can't sleep.  I used to purposely work to get to that place where the world is very buzzy and it feels like an acid trip that is about to go bad.  Masochistic?

exactly what i'm working on

I've just gotten bored with day time forums... think I'll go take a nap and get ready for the night owls.

The forums are getting more entertaining.  Thank you to all the enjoyable Night Owls...Day Timers are tooooo serious!

4. yenajeon profile image71
      yenajeonposted 14 years ago

I'm a night owl Hoot Hoot!

5. torimari profile image66
      torimariposted 14 years ago

I'm definitely a night owl. smile However, when work rolls around I can get back into the more miserable habit of waking up early and going to bed early. I can do it pretty comfortably but I rather be up till 3a.

6. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I guess I could be a night owl. I spend everyday up till 2-3am. smile

By my observation, night owls are more fun. *over all

7. profile image0
      Dalyinxposted 14 years ago

I often stay up until 4-5am, but it's pretty easy to get back on schedule if I have to. 

The most important thing is getting the right amount of sleep; while the quality is generally worse in the daytime, it's not such a difference that it'll affect your lifestyle.  Getting too much or too little sleep regularly can affect your overall health, increasing the chance developing certain disorders--diabetes included.

8. profile image0
      Jared in Vegasposted 14 years ago

I stay up pretty late, usually until about 4am.  I'm a big baby in the morning, I hate waking up.

me too...its the worst part of my day (which usually doesn't start until about 3pm (us central time)

9. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

I used to be a night owl, but then I went to college and realized that I couldn't spend my days sleeping in until 11am. So then I became Day Hawk.

someone just told me there is actually a disorder called Delayed Sleep-Phase Syndrome.  Its when a person cannot adjust to a "normal" night time sleep schedule.

I like that.... Day Hawk  smile

10. pooja0908 profile image61
      pooja0908posted 14 years ago

Presently I am day timers. I work in day. T was night owl at school time. Wow What days that are!

11. defenestratethis profile image59
      defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

I really come alive at night, have more energy, seems like my brain works better when the sun is down. Unfortunately I also have a daytime job, but I still stay up way too late...and during work hours Im pretty much toast. So Im gona have to work on my sleep habits if I want to keep my job, because Ive been gettin pretty goofy lately and people are starting to wonder. I even joined a facebook club called "People who stay up too late even though need to be at work early", and it has a lot of members....

Been there, done that.  Again I say, 'delayed sleep phase syndrome'.

12. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I'm an early bird-no doubt about it! lol

13. Write at Home profile image60
      Write at Homeposted 14 years ago

Early bird here... (although it's almost midnight my time and I'm still writing!).

14. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

it is 2:45 am, Weds. morning in Ohio currently

15. figment profile image75

Someone told me about a disorder called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome tonight so I wrote a Hub and published it just now... It's about us night owls.  Is that promoting my Hub?

Good on you girl!  I've been meaning to do this forever, and probably will at some point.  I'm more interested in doing it from my personal examples and experience though.  Now I can just reference your hub for the basics.

Thanks for telling me about it

16. Glenn S. profile image61
      Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

I am normally a night owl. I am most creative late at night or early in the morning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)