jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Warning about 'Trailing Hyphens' at the end of hub Urls

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image83
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 9 years ago

It recently came to my attention that some of my hubs can't be found or won't open through e-mail and a blurb comes up saying 'Sorry that hub does not exist'. In my case I have 12 such hubs. Somehow these hubs ended up with a hyphen or an underscore trailing their names. After contacting Hub pages I found out that unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about them. From what I understand it's that once an Url has been asigned there is no changing its name no matter what.

I thought I would point this out to everyone here to be extra careful when naming a future HUB.
    regards Zsuzsy

2. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 9 years ago

This will happen if you are typing the Hub name, delete some words and change it around, and leave a space at the end by mistake.

Always backspace the cursor against the last letter of the last word in the Hub title to be sure.

Jenny

3. Princessa profile image84
    Princessaposted 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be extra careful next time.

4. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

Yeah mine took ages to show in google for the same reason - though it did eventually! I think Jason is going to do a bug fix to prevent it but until then - beware the trailing hypen!

5. Bonnie Ramsey profile image89
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 9 years ago

I just noticed a few in mine but as it turned out every one of them were answers to request hubs and I never typed in the url since it was already there. Not sure if the person who made the request may have done this or just what. When I click the link, they open fine, though.

Bonnie

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago
  7. Zsuzsy Bee profile image83
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 9 years ago

Bonnie! I have no problems opening my hubs from my account either. Amazon tried while I had some dealings with them and they alerted me to the problem. Also if I would get a note in my email that someone left a comment on one of those hubs, clicking on their url a "sorry that hub does not exist" notice came on instead of opening. There is no fixing them unfortunately...zs

8. Bonnie Ramsey profile image89
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 9 years ago

Hmmmm. Wonder if we need to copy them to a new hub, rename them and delete the old one? Would that work?

1. Lissie profile image87
      Lissieposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I'd like an answer to that too! Im worried about being done for duplicate content by Google - if you unpublish the hub - how long does it have to be unpublished to fall off Google and is it then safe to repost the same material with a new url?

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image83
        Zsuzsy Beeposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I'm wondering that too...the only problem I can see with restarting is that the hub would loose all comments/links traffic all ready generated etc. I'm hoping the "superior teckyyy brains"  will point out the ups and downs for this one.zs

working