jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (24 posts)

How has being online changed you?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image81
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

I saw this topic on another forum thread I belong too.  I thought it was real interesting. 

For me, it has been a tool for breaking me out of my depression. I'm no longer moody, crying, and tired all the time.  I look forward to coming here, after I have logged online.  Being online has also helped me to become brighter.  Like I got a money lesson from Misha, just earlier this evening.

Therefore, I'm wondering how has it changed you?

1. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes.  In the real world I'm just a shy, sweet, innocent white boy perfectly safe to take home and seduce into your bed for a weekend of debauchery.
      here, however, I am something else.

2. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

For me, I feel freer.  Mostly for expressing myself.  smile

3. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

I learned to do something on the computer and I also get to broadcast to the world I can't spell worth a damn!big_smile

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

I would say that this is ongoing process, rather than a set result. I think I am getting more open. Also, learning to deal with people. smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Misha's statement. 

Personally I don't look at "online" as strictly message boards, email and writing.  Its a great tool that I use to learn about so many things.

5. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

I'm less naive.
    I can take what I read at face value, but with just enough suspicion that I don't get burned when it turns out that I've been talking to an invented personality.

Plus, I'm much quicker at spotting the invented personalities.

6. grannygoodearth profile image59
    grannygoodearthposted 6 years ago

After working 60 hour weeks for most of my life and then suddenly finding myself "retired", I found that I was really becoming depressed. Writing on the internet gives me a reason to stay "connected" to the world-even if it is the internet. I've met really good people and I feel a responsibility to be a good member of the writing community.

Responsibility, commitment and obligation help to keep one motivated. Plus learning about the ins and outs of internet writing has also kept me challenged.

Internet writing has made a big difference in the quality of my life.

7. 0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 6 years ago

it has made me want to be more social and interact more with others..

8. 0
    IĆ°unnposted 6 years ago

Internet communities have given me have much greater appreciation for real life interactions including interacting at church, with friends and relatives, dating real people, and interacting with daily acquaintances while running errands or whatever. 

I was atypically trusting when I began dealing with others online because I assumed if I was real and honest and harmless, most others were too.  It was a bad assumption.  Online communities seem to attract mainly people who are incapable of real life interactions and are no healthier in dealing with others on the internet either. 

The flip side of that is that it really built up my self esteem regarding my own flaws and defects... other people are so much meaner, creepier and crazier than I, that I feel almost giddy about just being plain old imperfect me. :p

9. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

10. 0
    blatvaposted 6 years ago

It has.... let me be who I feel I am.

1. wyanjen profile image87
      wyanjenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I like that answer smile

2. Dao Hoa profile image61
      Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is for me too!

11. blondepoet profile image79
    blondepoetposted 6 years ago

I don't think it has changed me, but it has enabled me to get a lot of my chest that I haven't had the chance to do so before.

1. harryinc profile image60
      harryincposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Being Online is the only thing I do most of the time. 24 Hours are too less for me to get my online stuff done. So there is no more boredom now.

12. 0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

It lets me yell louder (reach more people). lol

Don't believe it's actually changed me, though....

13. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 6 years ago

Ever since being online I have learned that I can be anyone I want to be.  Today I'm a 26 year old female, but tomorrow I'll be a 34 year old business man from Colorado.  Next week I'll be an up and coming rock star.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I once was a man , now I'm my real self.

I use online to study different psychological characters.I like to study people. See what their reactions are to different stimulus.
      I know sometimes I'm annoying to certain hubbers. Others respect me and like me.
      I learn a lot about it.
      and laugh a lot as well

1. cheaptrick profile image75
        cheaptrickposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure All the guys are Very Happy to SEE your Real self.I now I am!

14. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 6 years ago

I used to be Confident with Good self Esteem.
    Then I went on line and....BAM!...fruit cakes!

15. figment profile image71
    figmentposted 6 years ago

I'm getting all my old journals out and converting them to them computer.  I don't have to use spell check as much

16. IntimatEvolution profile image81
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

That is another thing, I've become a better speller, since online.

17. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 6 years ago

It made me write more plus it exposed me to a lot more cultures, personalities and beliefs. I mean before I went online, I never actually met an atheist smile.