jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

1. 0
    LegendaryHeroposted 6 years ago

I was wondering if we are allowed to post links to references/sources that we used in writing a hub?

For instance, if I write a hub on something historical I had to have gotten the information from somewhere and if I just took it without referencing the source it wouldn't it be plagiarism?

Thanks for answering.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you can include references and sources by adding a "Links" Hub, or simply putting the links in a text capsule using the chain icon.

There is no penalty for plagiarism on HubPages - it's up to the source you're quoting from to complain.  However, there IS a penalty for duplicate content, and that has nothing to do with whether you acknowledge your sources.

Duplicate content is content that's duplicated from somewhere else, legally or not.  Your Hubscore will be heavily penalized for it - and you won't earn much from Hubs that simply repeat material which is already common elsewhere, because Google will give priority to the earlier sources.

It's fine to quote, but make sure your quotes are only a minor part of the whole Hub.

1. 0
        LegendaryHeroposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Alright, I understand. Thanks.

2. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Besides, gathering the information and presenting it in your own words wouldn't be plagerization either.  No need to cite sources other than direct quotes if it makes you feel more comfortable.