Would Anyone Like To Interpret My Dream?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

I am pretty sure I know what this dream means, but it is always nice to get others feedback. Anyone?

I am in my home, it is beautiful. I find strangers sitting on my sofa in the living room.
    I asked them where they came from. They point to a side door. I open it and see a landing. I walk out onto it and see about 10 stairs going down..I walk down the stairs and they lead to a hospital corridor. The hospital is the one where I currently work. I think to myself "I've had this dream before" I than think how cool it is to live so close to work. I go back upstairs to my house and notice another side door. I open it and it also leads to the hospital. I lock the door. I am a little annoyed by this fact. I inspect my home thinking how beautiful it really is and how fortunate I am to own it.  I then ask the people to leave and lock the door after they do. My sisters are visiting me but they are outside.

2. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Sounds like you take your work home with you when you should be leaving it at work.  Your work is something you really enjoy but it also interferes with your personal time. You feel guilty about this which is why your sisters are on the outside of your home and while visitors from the hospital are on the inside.

Am I close?

3. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I agree with livewithrichard.
    I think that your work is more important than your sisters. And that you think your work, is invading your personal life. By closing the doors you're trying to revert this situatuon

4. Alota profile image60
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

I like what Tantrum has said

5. profile image0

Thanks Livewithrichard and Tantrum. You guys are very right about my work being very important to me. I often think about what occurred during the day (bringing it home with me)

Could the hospital have anything to do with confinement or an illness?
    Could my sisters be visiting me in the hospital?

I have no plans to go to the hospital.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No! Why would you go to hospital? are you feeling ill?
      It only means what we have told you, I think

2. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You said the hospital is where you work so that's all it is. You bring your work home even though you know it should remain at the hospital where you work.

You've probably been meaning to interact with your sisters more often and are feeling guilty that you use work as an excuse not to.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

seems your self worth comes before all else, and that you get from your job but not ones you love.  It could be said self worth and self importance could be our greatest belongings.  I do wish you find happiness although

thank you

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it means she going to meet a tall, handsome stranger recovering from a broken nose.  Wonder where she lives?

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tobey100 did you break your nose?

My husband will not let me meet tall handsome strangers..at least not on that level.

Yep, about 2 weeks ago.  If we did meet it wouldn't be any fun.  I'd have to bring my 5 boys.  My wife won't let me leave her unless I take all the kids.  lol

1. profile image0

You could bring your wife and let her watch the kids. smile

Hmmmmmmmmm

2. profile image0

Lyricsingray Thank you for your well wishes

7. profile image0

Tantrum thank you. I am very tired a lot and I have headaches.
    I have wondered if I am ill. I haven't had time for a physical.
    The hospital did worry me but now that you said it is work I can see where it probably is.

LivewithRichard I have felt bad that I don't have much time for my siblings (I make time for my husband and son). My sisters live in another state and it's hard for us to visit. I have missed them lately.

You both make a lot of sense.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're tired and with headaches, probably is stress.
      Are you eating properly ?
      I think you need a holyday !

1. profile image0

Tantrum I have a lot of stress. I barely eat. I will be hungry, cook and can't eat. At least a lot of times.

8. Alota profile image60
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

well said Tantrum a good holiday

9. profile image0
    alanben8posted 14 years ago

i think the hospital is a metaphor for your fridge, i think the strangers are a metaphor for the old food in your house that you could eat, but you look at it and decide you want something tastier. i think your sister is a metaphor for something really nice, but its just outside your grasp, maybe its too expensive? or maybe they dot make it where you live, either way i think this dream means your hungry, get up and make yourself a sandwich.

1. profile image0

you're brilliant.

10. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

All right…I break one of my own rules because this is a neat dream.

Okay. While reading my interpretation, remember that every dream symbol has (at least) two meanings: it is what it is and it is a symbolic part of the dreamer (they can also be other things).

“I am in my home, it is beautiful.” You’re in a safe and appealing place; you also think highly of yourself (this is good).

“I find strangers sitting on my sofa in the living room.” Is someone invading your privacy? What part of yourself do you keep at arm’s length from your consciousness—is it rearing its head right now?

“I asked them where they came from. They point to a side door. I open it and see a landing. I walk out onto it and see about 10 stairs going down” Are you concerned/worried with money and finances right now? (I see you walking down to the tenth stair, Malkuth…perhaps this will make more sense to you). More on this symbol later…

“I walk down the stairs and they lead to a hospital corridor. The hospital is the one where I currently work.” I agree with others on this, you bring your work home…but this a dual message—you are also making yourself sick with it, whether you realize it or not.

“I think to myself ‘I've had this dream before’” Have you actually had this dream before? There is no indication that you have, so I will interpret it as a symbol: There is something about your current situation that reminds you of a situation from your past; it’s probably a stressful (or at least puzzling) situation.

“I than think how cool it is to live so close to work. I go back upstairs to my house and notice another side door. I open it and it also leads to the hospital. I lock the door. I am a little annoyed by this fact.” I believe this is the pivotal symbol of the dream…You are faced with two pathways, they ultimately lead to the same place, but the one pathway makes you think something positive (how cool it is to be close to work) and the other makes you “a little annoyed.” I wonder if you feel trapped by something, or if you’re in a position to be making a choice about HOW you do something—no matter which way you go, you’ll have the same result, but the WAY makes a difference. It could also indicate a schism in the way you think about work—you enjoy your job (and you’re grateful for what it has earned you), but sometimes, perhaps, it can be a real burden.

“I inspect my home thinking how beautiful it really is and how fortunate I am to own it.  I then ask the people to leave and lock the door after they do.” You are reminding yourself here of your own worth, this is an affirmation of yourself. You are also pushing away the thing that is invading—squashing the part of yourself that you are not comfortable with (I suspect so that you can continue to affirm yourself). You are hoping that by locking the door, it cannot come back to haunt you again.

“My sisters are visiting me but they are outside.” I wonder if your family time suffers because of work constraints. This is also symbolic of a different part of yourself—this time a part of yourself that you like a lot, but that you are keeping outside. I wonder if this is the inner-child part of you that likes to have fun. Are you having enough fun?

To me, this dream is very complicated, many meaningful symbols—it sounds like your life is VERY full, and while you are fairly happy it seems, and very confident in yourself—there are, perhaps, things you are neglecting. You have been in this situation (in some form) before and you’ve got a choice to make regarding HOW you do a thing. You are probably trying to tell yourself to keep more in touch with family. I would also suggest a vacation and a complete physical.

I suspect you are capable of lucid dreaming. If you are, and you have this dream again—try to talk more to the strangers about who they are. Try to invite your sisters in—see what happens. This will give you even more information about the message.
    Let me know what you think…I could be totally off. smile

ETA: It has occurred to me that that "tenth step" symbol could just as easily be a symbol for your physical body as for financial concerns...I reiterate my suggestion to get a physical.

Also, I think your sisters could stand for more than one part of yourself that you are neglecting...how many sisters are out there? Each one represents something of yourself that you are "keeping out."

Sorry that didn't come to me sooner.

11. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Wow. I think there are so many good insights about your dream, Deborah.

I've learned from my own dreams that people appearing in them are usually representations about myself, in most cases. If that is a possibility in your dream, then you may not be giving enough "you" time to yourself. Maybe even the "strangers" in your house are a symbol that they have often come before your own needs, leaving you taxed and relatively unavailable at times. Maybe you sacrifice your needs to make sure other's needs are met, and (perhaps) you've closed down so much from this type of self "starvation" that you really don't have time for anyone except your son and husband. Therefore, everyone else suffers, particularly you.

The house and hospital could be seen as a trap, as mentioned, although they also, in duality, represent safety and your sense of purpose. Could that be a message that you need a break from work/home? Get out, plan some weekend get-aways, and such?

So there are some negatives in your dream. However, you also talked about some positives.
    Since your "strangers" were seated, they weren't really intruders. Perhaps they arrived at an inconvenient time and you weren't prepared for them. If you were prepared, they could be invited guests. Perhaps your sisters need some time away from home and work with you. That could be very rejuvinating.

Don't know that I offered much, considering all the other posts have also been really insightful, but thought I'd offer.

Take care.

12. Winsome profile image83
    Winsomeposted 14 years ago

If you have had this dream before, it probably means that you feel your life needs more variety, but you are overwhelmed by your responsibilities. The strangers represent directions your life has taken that is not necessarily central to your natural desires. Your sisters being outside could symbolize that they are more free than you in regards to pursuing their dreams. Have you ever felt you could have a fuller life if home and work responsibilities didn't take up so much of your time and thought? Thanks for letting us strangers sit on your sofa. =smile

13. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

Seems that you need some personal time with your family but you can't get away from work or you're always thinking about work.

14. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

There have been some excellent interpretations here! I just love seeing how other people think about things. smile

Thank you, Deborah, for sharing your dream with us!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)