How many hubbers here own their own website?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (59 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

I do, do you?

I'm just trying to get an idea, for a hub I'm writing. 

Do you feel the need to own your own website?
    Has it been beneficial?
    Do you get a lot of traffic?
    How do you promote it?

1. Daddy Paul profile image64
      Daddy Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use Hubpages to promote them. I am thinking about abandoning Hubpages to concentrate on blogs and my websites. Hubpages is not carrying its 40% load.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tried to email you some helpful information, but I don't see how I can.  Not to shameless self promote, but I just wrote an article that might be helpful.  I don't want you to give up on hubpages.  However, hubpages is not the right way to drive traffic to your website.  It just not built that way.  However, there is one such website that is free and is designed as a self marketing tool to increase your traffic, to your website.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you say that?  I'm sure you've heard of "article marketing", which means writing articles which include links to your websites.  HubPages is a great place to do that, because you can promote your websites AND earn money on the articles at the same time.  The links are do follow,too.

I like the fact that Hubs get ranked well without having to do too much promotion.

2. gm0nk3y profile image60
      gm0nk3yposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel the need to a website so you can have control of earning money in a way. You can't rely too much from one source, Hubpages for example, because what if this site closes down or one day decides to stop revenue sharing program.

You need one or more sites of your own to have total control.

I try to make one small niche blog per week, and do a few backlink building to push it to first page of Google. It might not hit number one spot, but as long as it is on first page, I'll move on to the next small niche blog. The profit continues to rise gradually.

3. yoshi97 profile image57
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

1)  I own several sites and a blog.

2)  I own my own sites for various reasons - some monetary, and some just for fun. smile

3)  Yes, in many ways: therapeutic, income enhancing, getting to know new people ...

4)  Some sites yes - some sites no. Not all were designed with the intent of gathering traffic

5)  Google adwords, social bookmarking, etc.

smile

4. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have my own site for my business. But I don't promote it on HP other than noting it in my profile. I also have a site for promoting two books I published. I write articles related to my business on my business site and I use HP to write about everything else (mostly personal inspirations about life).

2. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

At last count I had around 15.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I've had my own website since 1998.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

same here...

4. liswilliams profile image40
    liswilliamsposted 14 years ago

I just started a blog, but would never leave hubpages, although it's slow, I think I must stick it out , only been here 2 months

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am slowly in the process of making one for myself...I havent' started but my husband kinda sorta strated it for me. but I need to go back and add my own twist to it..it's going to be for my writing.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I have probably 40 or 50 or so, I haven't counted in a while. They are all affiliate marketing sites combination of blogs and static pages. I've been building websites for AM since 12/01.

7. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I am working on one smile but I honestly have one already done as well.smile

1. profile image62
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you build your own or was it a custom job?  Can you say where you bought the domain?

8. profile image0
    rocknrodeogirlposted 14 years ago

I recently started a blog, and am trying to figure out which direction I'm going with it. I've just started hubpages, but I really enjoy it and like the "community" feel. smile

9. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

I have a few of my own. Started building websites in 2006. Some get good traffic, some don't.

10. TerryGl profile image58
    TerryGlposted 14 years ago

If you have read any of my hubs you will see that I promote my own websites and everything else I can get my hands on. You need a website to sell affiliate products as well as generate an income with advertisement clicks.

I have become so heavily involved in my own sites I have purchased software to automate the whole process. It has been a very good choice for me as I save tons of time now and seem to be getting some very good results for little effort.

I think your own site is a must. I know there is a market for sites because I wrote a hub on me building a wordpress site for anyone who wants one. The response was quite overwhelming. It seems everyone wants their own site.

1. yoshi97 profile image57
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And for those wondering ... making money on your site entails finding a niche that not too many others are writing about (and is profitable) and kicking out many articles while keeping them entertaining and full of information.

SEO also plays a big roll in all of this as you can't hope to profit from your own site unless you are promoting something others take an interest in. smile

11. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I own quite a few sites which receive a fair amount of traffic :p

1. gravitywebsources profile image60
      gravitywebsourcesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep you can promote your websites using social bookmarking sites easily. I too have few good website. if the article is related our website then we can proceed promoting that. Nothing wrong in that

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I rarely use social bookmarking tools for my own websites.

12. subhashlaxmin profile image57
    subhashlaxminposted 14 years ago

I have no website

1. gravitywebsources profile image60
      gravitywebsourcesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lot of hubbers don't have a website. That doen't make any difference in hubpages.

13. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I am looking at getting a website next thing. There seems to be tons of info - too much really, I am left with the same questions I started with!
    1. Do I need to pay for domain etc - or can I get it free and is this ok for commercial site?
    2. Do I need to buy web making software to make a good site?

Any advice with specific places to go would be welcome

1. Lynda Gary profile image60
      Lynda Garyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

china man: You might want to take a look at my hub which addresses your questions: http://hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-a-Webs … ustHostcom

It tells you how I went about asking / answering the same questions, generally.

I've looked at the free sites of various friends, and I don't like them.  Pop up ads are annoying, etc.  But the price of a paid-for site is relatively low, depending.  All of the paid-for sites have instant site builders for you to use that is SUPPOSED to make the process easy.  For me, it hasn't been a no-brainer, but I can't call it "really hard," either.

2. 2Tony profile image61
      2Tonyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi China man

Wordpress.org it's free and all the information you need is there.

14. lesterd2009 profile image60
    lesterd2009posted 14 years ago

Best thing to do is to have your own website and use hubpages as a promotional tool for your website, since it has a very active community it makes it the best place to write and article marketing..

just my 2 cents smile

15. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Yep I own quite a few. I don't promote them here though. smile

Particular reason that you don't?  Just curious.  (By the way, I've seen -- and enjoyed -- quite a number of your comments in the forums and on hubs.  Thanks for sharing)

16. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I have 4 websites. If they had the same clickthrough rates as hubpages I'd do pretty well. But they are set up to sell my products so advertising not so important.

17. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I reckon the key to good traffic, in other words people who buy your products or service, is adwords. smile

18. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

Thanks for help with my question - sorry IE didn't mean to hijack it smile well I did actually but trying to be polite you know big_smile

19. profile image53
    cashlashposted 14 years ago

I have a few sites, and its always fun to be able to write what you wish. However with a blog it takes time to build up a community and with hubpages you get one ready made

20. Sa Toya profile image84
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I've got a blog...but I haven't been promoting it at all to be honest...it's more of an online diary about my attempt to write and hopefully get a novel published.

21. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Yes I do!  Its fun, its exciting to own your own little piece of internet property smile  I do not promote through my articles, yet.

22. Alota profile image61
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

I was going to set up a web site called "Taking it early Taking it often" to educate people about the merits of education, but I just find it hard to get the time to do all that I would like..

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, hubpages takes up a lot of time. Like the last 9 hours or so.

23. Alota profile image61
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

is a hub not a web site

No.  It's a page within a site -- and that site is not YOUR site; it belongs to HubPages.

Your OWN site is something that will be set up in the DOMAIN name of your choice (as available).  You are its master.  Here on HP, we are just pawns in the HP game (which should not be read as a negative).  HP has the control, etc. but they DO rely on us to keep their site relevant and profitable.

See?

24. Alota profile image61
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

most of my work is computer based so I can jump in and out here, but the writing takes a long time

25. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I own over a dozen sites, half of which are blogs, one is an article directory. 5 of my sites are affiliate sites which I promote using PPC campaigns (not something a beginner should try because it can be very costly)which usually return me a profit.

1. hubranger profile image60
      hubrangerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a couple but then I am a total newbie at all this. Well, I suppose if starting back in October counts me as a newbie, but did my first hubpages tonight.

1. Steve 3.0 profile image65
        Steve 3.0posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a website but haven't made my first hub yet.  Not been here long and I have a similar feeling to when I started my website, over 10 years ago.  Hopefully it will be easier than that was.

26. efeguy profile image41
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

i do,a forex blog

main reasons is to give information.

promoting thru hub page  n other site

27. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

I am working on starting my own blog. I've got a quite a few articles written already. I'm looking into hosting (paid vs free) and wordpress and all that now.

I'm on the road though, so don't always have good internet connections or time to go online. I don't know if I would be able to keep regular posting up. Think I might wait a couple more months, until I'm settled down in one place, in my own apartment again...

28. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

Ow, and I have another question. Isn't there a limit to how many times you are allowed to link to one domain from hubpages? I think I read that somewhere, but i couldn't find where it wasm when I looked for it the other day.
    So would that mean you can write onlyy 2 hubs to link to your site?

29. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

I have 2. One is an online boutique for women's fashions. The other is a trend/news update site.

smile

30. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

So there is quite a few of us who have websites.  I do promote HubPages on my website.  I hope I can drive traffic from my site to my hp profile.  I also backlink alot to my many different hubs.  Any other advice someone could share with us?

31. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I own a bunch. smile

1. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha you are a smart guy when it comes to computers. I like your hubs and I think it is awesome the way you help others.

32. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thank you Hockey smile

1. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Namaste my friend.   smile

33. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 14 years ago

Creating hubs on Hubpages is a great way to market test topics and targets. By studying the hub traffic statistics and Google Analytics statistics of hubs that begin to earn money (and the ways in which traffic is being driven) you can determine which would be profitable as their own sites.

Converting the topic to a free blog at that point has a couple of benefits:

1. It allows you to retain 100% of the monetization on the blog
    2. You can backlink to the blog from your hub to help blog rank
    3. Both the hub and the blog have ongoing earning potential

Mike smile

34. TheCreditTruth profile image60
    TheCreditTruthposted 14 years ago

It looks like just about everybody owns their own site and many own multiple.  I fall under that category as well.

35. finsofts profile image40
    finsoftsposted 14 years ago

I own four websites of my own and am a web designer too, so designed a lot more for clients...

Thank You

36. andromida profile image54
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Currently, I have three websites-one is for my business(offline) and the rest are for my hobbies .smile

37. W. Scott Phoenix profile image61
    W. Scott Phoenixposted 14 years ago

I have at least one that I know of . . . at one point between my boss and a friend I had three.  I have not done much with my current website yet because of HP-lol!  THAT is going to change!  I also have a column of my own on another website which I need to get back to doing as well.

38. TheCreditTruth profile image60
    TheCreditTruthposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Many-Sites-Do-You-Manage

Vote in this poll so we can aggregate some data about all you Hubbers! Thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)