How do you keep up with the hubbers you follow?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (70 posts)
  1. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Everyday when I open my email, there are at least 15 new notifications for hubs published by people I'm a fan of.  I want to do justice to their hubs by reading and commenting, but all this takes time. And there never seems to be enough! Do you also have the same dilemma?

1. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes! I have the same dilemma, there are just not enough hours in the day! sad

myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and..on top, there are the forums...and one's own hubs to write...and 'real' life to do....!

1. profile image0

Exactly!! Very busy ladies! smile

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you change your option to a daily digest of your favourite hubbers instead, that way you only get one email.

oh, is that what that digest is about? I always use to wonder.....still, the problem is not so much the emails (ok. that's there too!) but not having enough time to read....

3. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good question!  I've been having the same problem - how does everyone keep up?  I like to come to the forums, it's kind of a warmup to writing, but sometimes it takes over...smile

4. LaVieja profile image60
      LaViejaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep, happens to me too. Usually I just read if topic happens to be particularly interesting to me at that time, if it looks like a subject I am not interested in, I'll leave it till I get around to having a "catchup" session!

5. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately I've done a horrible job getting to the pages of my friends here. I want to apologize to you all for not getting round to your hubs...my time is so limited!

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hi darling. smile

I long turned the notification off, and go read the stuff as I see it in hubtivity smile

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you had to! You have 2049 fans. It would make your e-mail box unmanageable!   smile

1. profile image0

Wow!! yikes that's alot of fans!! smile

(i'm sure Misha is not following all those who fan him...big_smile)

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but there are those that I follow who does not follow me. So I would estimate the number of people I follow to be around 2000, too. smile

big_smile ...no wonder you turned off the notification option!  smart move...

2. myownworld profile image74

big_smile good idea...! but then...what's the point of being a fan? I mean...you do want to read their work too..at least sometimes...!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read it. Sometimes smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I get the daily email with a list of some of the hubbers. I read 5 or 6 a day and sometimes leave a comment, almost always rate it up. I also read hubs from people that follow me and hubs I see in the news feed that sound interesting.  depends on my time that day! smile

smile 5-6 every day...hmm.I guess it would help if one sets a target of some kind...this much time for reading...for forums...one's own hubs etc...

2. Hokey profile image60

If I read it I always leave a comment.

4. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Your so right, it is really difficult to keep up with it all. I try to read as much as I can and comment. But like you said with writing your own hubs, the forum and life there is just not enough time.

smile relief to know there are others like me!

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

mow, the daily digest is nice, it makes it much simpler. if I don't have time, I'll click on a hub I want to read and bookmark it for another time. the bookmarks are great as you can categorize them like a virtual bookshelf.

thanks rebekah! just switched to the digest option...now time to read all those hubs! wink

6. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

If I see a new hub come up in Feed from someone I follow and the topic interests me, I will go and have a read. Otherwise, when I have some spare time, I go into the list of people I follow in my account settings, do a quick scan through the hubs showing and pick a few to read. Once I am in someone's hubs, I will probably read a couple more. I don't look at the email notifications at all.

interesting to see how everyone has their unique way of going about it....smile

(smile @ Hokey...)

7. uliveulearn profile image69
    uliveulearnposted 14 years ago

You are certainly not alone, I can relate....I am doing far more reading/commenting than writing and I need to spend more time on my hubs.  It is hard to schedule it all in.  These comments are helpful.

smile I'm glad to know more people are in the same boat.

And I don't know why but my heart sinks when one of them decides to do the 30 day challenge!! yikes

1. Hokey profile image60

I had like 40 in 30 days and didn't realize there was a challenge. lol  Most of mine are poems though so they aren't that long.

8. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

I go through the digest and choose the ones that interest me. Since some are sales hubs and I am not trying to buy anything I don’t usually read them unless I have time on my hands. It’s too much to keep up with trying to do it all. I have also started writing for helium and they have that read/rate system so it gets to be way too much reading.

Anyway, some people have over a thousand followers. I don’t think they need to keep track of that many comments :-)

Good point! I never thought of the 'comment' notification as another thing piling up! big_smile

9. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

MOW, interesting question well I guess there are many hubbers who relate to this sitation and you sure are not alone dear. I would say read as many as you can, they will surely know you care. It is difficult to be there and comment each and every time you do visit. Hence I make it a point to just follow the hubs at random- sometimes through forums, through mails or front page.

smile thanks Charanjeet....it's just I feel if u follow someone, it doesn't make sense if you don't read them...and hence the need to read as much as one can. But you're right...just do the best one can!

10. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago
  11. myownworld profile image74

It's like a whole galaxy of stars to follow......! big_smile

12. Lynda Gary profile image61
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

A RELATED QUESTION:
    What do you do if you chose to follow someone but hadn't yet read any of their hubs (I do this habitually), and then when you DO have time to read, you discover that, well, it's just not your thing?  (Bad writing, topics of no interest to you, etc).

Do you choose to stop following, or leave them on your list?

Great question actually. I had that problem too. Someone was kind to me in the forums, helped etc, so I fanned them. When I read his hubs, they were just so poorly written that I couldn't even bring myself to comment. Still I liked him 'in person', if you know what I mean. So, i still follow.... smile

13. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

i try to refresh "hubbers you follow" with recent content. there are some glitches in system while showing that, check the pick you'll see how odd it is with recent content. I expect some better ways to see recent content than digest and notification.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6924/hublatest.jpg

Oh well, i lurk more on hubs than i comment.. big_smile

hey that looks intimidating......!

*feels eyes following her.... yikes

(big_smile @ wayne)

14. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

Then just read mine. Just kidding people!

15. skyfire profile image79

Talking about digest/newsletter, why there is no newsletter in mailbox ? neutral

16. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

As long as you read mine always - there are a few hubbers you should always read their new hubs and I am one of them!  I will know that you read and be happy, and you want to make me happy, right?  I, however, may or may not read yours, as I am a selfish, self-centered hubber who only can write a few gems and hang around the forums making lewd and lascivious comments and dancing like a bear!  Also, self-promoting is my business! 

lol

see, now that makes it worse! When you like the hubber so much, there is just added pressure to read all their hubs!!! (you're one of them mega!) oh my.... neutral

(And sky...relax and chill! It just means you're exempt from reading today!)

17. myownworld profile image74

I know...I'm trying to read a hub, check the forums, do the laundry, attend calls, and also cook at the same time! (And that's on my day off work!)

It's the art of multi tasking...except I fear, I won't get any of them done right! yikes

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's quite a juggling act. I think we all figure out ways to get hubs read somehow, some days I do better than others depending on what work I'm doing. there's just no way to always comment if we're leaving decent comments unless someone is on HP all day. hmm 

there are so many great hubbers here, and while I'm selective, I still find new writers I want to follow. I found one last night who is amazing! so many of them don't come into the forums, so I check the topics page and hubs page to take a look there.

like right now, I shouldn't be here... back to work, rE.

I wouldn't worry about it too much MOW. smile

18. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I don't fan everyone who fans me, but I do receive the digest in the morning, and check out the ones that interest me.

Since, I can only read so much, on top of everything else I'm connected to...I pick my reads along my interests. Most of the people I fan, I do read their stuff, but don't always take time to comment.

If I liked the hub, then I'll rate it up and then go to the next.

The digest you receive in the morning is mostly about the NEW hubs published by those who you fan. It's much easier that way than to get individual messages about each hub from each person.

smile

19. myownworld profile image74

smile thanks LaVeija, except now I have a whole separate 'catch up' folder full of hubs I need to read! 

And yes, Cags...I like the idea of rating a hub, even if you don't comment...though I'd still like to let them know I read it. But...better than not reading at all! cheers! smile

20. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I'm very selective about who I follow, so I only get between 1-3 new hubs per day to check out, if that.

1. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.I don't think it should be Politically correct to Fan in return.It takes the real meaning out of it and turns it into a status symbol.JMO.

21. myownworld profile image74

thank you all for replying. I agree about not following for the sake of it, hence all the more reason for me to read those I follow! And there are just so many.... smile

And rebekah..always the gentle voice of reason...! I know what you mean...and actually like the idea of of finding time for new writers too instead of reading each and every hub by the same writer. smile

Edit: did I say more time?

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I set aside a few hours one day and go find hubs by those I follow. I always rate up even if I do not comment.
      When I see one in forums talking about writing I watch for their hub to come out. Sometimes if I am having trouble starting ar have just finished I will look for new hubbers in the forums asking questions. Then I go see what they are about. I know some have so many comments it does no service to leave mine, so I rate it up.
      You would not believe how many hubs have zero comments, when I find one I try to leave a comment.

In forums I answer a question and then click a name in the forum and go read. Must go read you now. Bye.

1. profile image0

Hey Faybe! Hope you are well smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image65

Hi Sophs! Yes just went and read one of Myownworld's hubs. I have finnished the one on Haiti, and now have to take a shut im friend shopping. Lay offs? I am busier than ever. How are you? Better I hope, no more flu?

2. Faybe Bay profile image65

Oooh Sophs, your fleetwood mac video isn't working on The Day You Came!

1. profile image0

Gdgd smile Ohhh the flu is still here but getting better smile Ohhh well that's rubbish! I shall go sort it out now smile smile

22. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I tend to follow people who do something to stand out, to be honest though my hub reading is fairly random!

23. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

*looks down in shame* I don't keep up with the people I follow. I CAN'T keep up with the people I follow and I only follow a few! I try to read an article or two each week, but I don't think I will ever catch up on all the great articles people have written, especially since some of them publish 2-3 new articles a day!

I think the better question to ask is: How the heck do the people I fan write quality articles so quickly?!?! It takes me days, sometimes weeks, to get an article ready for publication and, my articles are nowhere near the quality of some of the people I follow!

I propose a plan. All the people I am following need to stop being so darn talented for one whole week. THEN I will catch up!

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

lol I like this....and so agree!

And thanks Faybe, Lyr and Sky for commenting! You can say whatever you like...(hijack) and all....it's a free exchange of ideas! smile

24. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Hi MOW big_smile I really hear you. I so badly need to get to more reading, and when I do get to a hub I always comment and vote up if warranted.  I like people to know I am there too.

However on the flip side I like Misha's ideas and see tons of my followers in hubtivity and feature pages,  Most often I start from there.

I too receive one daily notification but find Im too scattered to get to it and it is frustrating.  I need to set aside selected time like Faybe and devote a few hours to my followers Hubs.

Long story short, I understand your point and it's good to see you, been awhile.

cheers big_smile

25. skyfire profile image79

I feel like hijacking this thread, please ? sad

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

against the rules and I'll tell lol

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

1. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yikes

1. Cagsil profile image69
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

tongue

26. skyfire profile image79

Hmm, so i need to do something to be in rules. roll

I'll comment on someone's hub, that will be hijacking for me lol

27. skyfire profile image79

Hey any idea about hubber in Music niche ?

I'm looking for someone who can teach me how to write review on music albums and etc etc... neutral

Try: http://hubpages.com/profile/tony0724
      His hubs are not exactly limited to music, but he's done some great ones on it too.

See, ALL that reading I do, does count for something after all! wink

2. Faybe Bay profile image65

Found this one too, lot's of followers. Elite. Found it by adding music to topics I follow.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Mighty+Mom

http://hubpages.com/hub/Are-You-a-Fan-of-These-Songs

28. skyfire profile image79

Thanks Faybe and Mow smile

Need to read some hubs now will catch ya later.

29. myownworld profile image74

...And this is what happens when you go off to read some hubs......! roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)