Today I Lost a fan

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (56 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I know it shouldn't bother me, but I cannot help but wonder, should I have toned down something, have I offended them, did they quit Hubpages? Did they disagree with my views, or did they disagree with the way I conveyed them?

Questions Questions!

So my question to you guys is, have any of you lost a fan, and what do you think caused it?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i still love you Oli... wink

2. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I lost one but you've been around longer. I have fanned you though. I was recommending one of your hubs to my teacher yesterday and didn't realize I hadn't fanned you yet. Know it's off topic, but maybe you beat yourself up too much.

thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad people are finding the Hubs useful, I was actually shocked when I bumped in to one of my old high school teachers and they said that they had read some of my work, before berating me on my rushed grammar and unstructured layouts sad

Nevertheless they did say they had found the information useful big_smile

3. The Donkey profile image60
      The Donkeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure it wasn't because they didn't like you. They must have quit hub pages or something. Try and find them and ask what the heck happened.

4. drej2522 profile image69
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would just look at it as systematically weeding out the ones who really don't 'follow' you in the first place. smile

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a sock puppet probably closed their account. lol

or the guy whose account was closed today, maybe he was one of your followers.

6. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably someone left. I have lost about 4 since I joined, so far they have all left hubpages. smile
      Just the fact that it concerns you would indicate you will not be losing too many fans my friend. smile

7. profile image0
      rhartlandsbergposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know, one of the reasons I joined HubPages was to get used to people reading and therefore judging my writing. There are so many different people out there. If you try to please them all you won't please any of them. Don't let one person's actions/reactions worry you too much.

8. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I lose a fan every day. And gain another each 2 or 3 days.
      lol
      I don't think it's important. What is, is that your friends will always be ! big_smile

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol hey girl 9 de-fanned me in 3 weeks lol  wonder why lol

Be well Tantrum, will get to emails tomorrow sorry

Just don't defan me lol

2. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Win some, lose some. No biggie. Just do what you do smile

3. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I was crushed. My days have gone dark and I will never see another Spring. Tears have soaked my pillow, and I hid under the covers for weeks.

lol

Come on oli, get over it, you're nice, you'll get another one and more soon.

smile

4. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

You just gained another! look again...the number is the same...wink

5. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

See! wink

1. myownworld profile image74
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you're a prophet darling! wink

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now if I can only predict the stock market! lol

Hi MOW, good to see you again.

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Lost fans ? hmm, Not sure, but ever since I started discussing on "religions & belief forum", rate of fanning is reduced and some people do comment by holding some opinion after reading views in religious forums.

Can't help it for those who don't keep view of one thread to it's place.

Life goes on.

7. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

they unfan me after my comment on religious forum,

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Counter Status: 2

1. alexandriaruthk profile image68
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

To get upset over someone else's independent decision doesn't seem productive to me, so I don't.  Since I have no idea why each person chose to follow me, I don't worry in the slightest if someone chooses to stop.

9. thisisoli profile image70

Haha thank you to the new fans!

I know I am probably reading too much in to the loss, but I have been very analytical all my life :p

It did happen soon after posting quite a lot of pro-evolution arguments in a thread on the religion forums, could have been it sad

Maybe I could rectify the situation with those of a religious disposition by standing on top of a hill and preaching about virtues such as peace, understanding, tolerance, and... oh...

tongue

1. myownworld profile image74
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank god you didn't post that in the religious forum! they'd have torn you apart!

On a serious note, I do believe it's more likely someone left HP....happens with those mysterious fans you get out of nowhere, who just come and go as silently! smile

10. thisisoli profile image70

Yeah I do hope so, as I mentioned, I am a bit of a stats freak (I have to limit myself to viewing analytics and adsense etc for no more than an hour each morning)  and one of the things I always check is my follower count and comments, to see what people think of my work.  It has been climbing slowly for a while, so when I saw it had dropped by one this afternoon it was a shock!

I guess this just means I should try harder so it does not happen again big_smile

1. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't get too upset, oli. I have had fans who left because I didn't "fan them back" right away, but to say that was their reason is more of an educated guess than anything. It seems to go in cycles - when your hubs and views are up, more people find you and will follow you. Also when we get a new crop of recently joined, or people who want to meet some new folk, you will find your followers numbers rising. Just part of life here. Don't take a few losses to heart. If they really like your work, they will stay.

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

11. profile image0
    rocknrodeogirlposted 14 years ago

I'm the same way, if I lose a friend or follower on any social networking site, I obsess about it for a few minutes and then let it go, haha. I just lost a twitter follower this morning.sad I always figure if I don't miss the person who is gone, then they probably weren't all that important anyways (i.e. someone communicating with me, commenting, a close friend, etc). It makes me feel better anyways! smile

12. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I relate....I don't know of anyone who has defanned me. But I have fanned someone before who did not fan me back & I think it's because of my beliefs. Big deal, I'm not looking for everyone's approval. Just expression. You're all right dude!

13. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

De Fanning is not Always Personal.I make it a point to read the folks I fan.Sometimes the list gets to long to do justice so I have to chose the writers that are closest to my Interests.
    It may not have been that you offended them.Maybe there like me and don't have a Big Brain.smile

14. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

It's usually because they leave HP - then some of them reappear with another name big_smile

15. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

You just gained a fan Oli!!   ME!!!
    You'er so lucky to have me lol lol

16. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

hmmm...Since Im not active in any of the more divisive threads, when I lose a fan/follower (which I always notice too) I assume its just one of the many Spam accounts that come along and follow everyone get flagged to hell and quit

1. rmcrayne profile image91
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was active in the religious forum, I collected lots of non-believer fans, and the occasional believer too!

Like sunforged, I assumed some of those lost followers were folks that quit the sight without ever really becoming involved &/or those fan spree people I didn't fan back.

Then of course there's BC.  I figured he closed his account again, but no worries.  He was my very first fan, and always comes back to fan me as his new persona.

17. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I Would like to know what mark thinks about this. I'm sure 90% of Mark's fan are non-believers. big_smile

18. thisisoli profile image70

I feel very lucky Stormryder!

You might be right Sunforged, I do notice that sometimes the names of the people who fan me seem to be a little randomized!

I am going to watch Who Framed Roger Rabit and try to recover!

(The benefit of writing a series of Disney hubs is that I have an excuse to watch all the old disney movies big_smile )

19. mr. daydream profile image61
    mr. daydreamposted 14 years ago

Awwwe, it's not the end of the world, You'll be okay young man. I just came 2 hubpages bout' a month and a 1/2 ago and 1/2n't experienced anything like that yet, but you seem 2 value your fans and don't 1/2 an I don't give a f*** attitude about it, and that's good. Carry on!

20. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I think several of us lost a fan today as one of our number has been asked to leave.
    I am not saying that is what happened but it is a thought.

21. Isabelle22 profile image58
    Isabelle22posted 14 years ago

Don't worry for every fan lost you will gain a new one. smile

22. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I would be seriously worried if I lost one, the other would get lonely !!!  big_smile

23. pooja0908 profile image60
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

yes i also had been lost one
    he wanted to do some promotion of his links but i did not get his link that is why i did not promote.

I was also worried that time
    but i was helpless.

24. Mamelody profile image61
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I've lost followers too and it does hurt but then gradually it really becomes irrelevant... If they were referrals then I would weep and mourn but its no biggie..

thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hehe yeah referrals would be worse, since I only have four of those, and one one who has written anything!

I keep meaning to work on getting more referrals, but I will have to work on it!

25. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

Don't sweat it. You'll gain more fans, including me to make up for it.

26. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 14 years ago

If someone joins your fan club it's because they like you (or they're a fammer, but we can't control that).

So why should you try and write what you think they might like?

You'll never please all the people all the time. Or even some of the people all the time.

Stay true to your own course. If people want to get off during the journey, so be it. Don't second guess yourself. Don't fret over it.

Right now without looking at my own stats I couldn't tell you exactly how many fans I have.

Concentrate on what's important to you. And there's a far bigger audience out there on the world wide web who can't join your fan club. They'll find you when they'll need you, via a search engine. They may only need you once in their life time but they might be worth a click-thru and an online transaction.

27. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

They come, they go, if you lost a fan because they disagreed with your forum comments, so be it, they obviously did not check out what you wrote before they 'followed' you.

When I get new 'followers' I always read some of their work, to see if I actually want to follow them, for reading takes time and my time is already busy with writing, when I can, so if they don't write what I will enjoy reading, or learn from, or think is worth study, I don't follow them...

Somebody decided you were the Antichrist and shortened their day by deleting you, no big deal, you've probably put on ten more from this forum post!

John

28. Mama Sez profile image63
    Mama Sezposted 14 years ago

I lost one follower once and it really saddened me the whole morning, I was not able to identify who left me.

Thanks to this thread.  I should know better should it happen again.

29. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Tantrum is right-- It doesn't matter. Don't waste any brain cells thinking about stats of any kind. You have better things to do.

I once saw a little sign with a picture of a small tot sitting on a potty. The caption said, "Do your best, and flush the rest."

30. Enelle Lamb profile image73
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

I remember when I lost a fan - discovered who it was, and went and asked why...he joined again, only to delete himself a couple of days later...after that I didn't let it bother me anymore...

31. Phoenix Files profile image60
    Phoenix Filesposted 14 years ago

The real fans--the ones who really matter--will follow you anywhere! 
    Don't sweat it.
    wsp2469 lost at least 130 fans when he was banned.  He simply asked them to review a hub they had flagged over a month ago and instead of telling him to make more corrections or telling him it was ok they said you're banned.
    We hope to carry on for him though since we have access to a lot of his unpublished stuff.
    yeah, so anyway, there are worse things in life than losing one fan, okay?

32. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I figure if I'm not losing a few fans here and there, I'm not writing anything worth reading.  Never did notice any "fan loss" until after starting my "pro-Sarah Palin" series.  Since then, yeah, one drops out every so often--sometimes suspiciously close to the time I've denied an inappropriate comment or two, sometimes not.

Read something somewhere (no recall just where) that, "To be a great man, one must have a great enemy".  Or something like that.  Guess we could look to Churchill vs. Hitler, Superman vs. Lex Luthor, Rocky vs. Apollo Creed.  Stuff like that.

By the time Election Day rolls around in 2012, I hope to be hated by millions!  lol

33. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

Don’t beat yourself up Oli...
    The other day I acquired a new fan that even left some fan mail. I approved it within minutes of its posting and reading it only to have that fan mysteriously disappear within literally under three minutes.
    And I know it wasn't that the person mistook me for someone else or accidently wrote the fan letter to me because this particular hubber indirectly referred to a comment I made on a fellow hubber's hub.
    So in essence I didn't really lose a fan as I only had this hubbers attention for 30 seconds but at the risk of sounding flippant… You win some...you lose some.
    All the best, Oli!!!!!!

34. thisisoli profile image70

Haha, that does seem a little weird Ann, but nevermind ey!

unfortunately people can get a bit riled over politics, I don't think I would de-fan anyone over it though, after all the choice of democracy is what prevents the stagnancy of corruption etc.

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
      Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way, Oli...I agree to disagree and value other points of view...It keeps the blood flowing (NOT boiling...LOL!!!!)

Keep up the great work!

35. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

it is like happiness and sadness. both exist joining and leaving fan clubs is common process only. Try commenting on the hubs of your fans and keep close contact with them to avoid them from quitting you.

36. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Try not to worry to much Oli, I am still your fan. I have lost a couple of followers before, turned out they had either quit hubpages or where fammers that I didn't fan back. Don't sweat it. smile

37. Sanarya profile image59
    Sanaryaposted 14 years ago

oli baby relax last time I check U had about 80 followers I have one if I loose him I have the right to be depress, coz' U see the first follower is like the first love the first car the first fridge, if U see what I mean it really hurt when thing go wrong with the first what ever...
    So if U did lost your first follower I 'll really feel 4 U in either case get over it and move on.
    do want me 2 replace it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)