jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

New to HP.. Advice?

1. kb240801 profile image62
    kb240801posted 6 years ago

Hello everyone.  I was reading about hp online and then decided to join.  Ive made a few hubs and just now read about being able to get advice on how to make them better.  If you could let me know how im doing and how to make them more interesting please let me know.  I like to write about topics I find interesting throughout my day. And I also plan on doing one to review every Laker game and maybe even some other teams.  Im into relationship questions since Im new to the married life so I plan on writing and asking questions through this.  What do you guys think?
    Thank you.
    Have a great day.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I had a quick read of all your hubs and the only thing I can honestly say against them is that they are far too short.
      You want to have at least three times the amount of words on each article. They are not comments, they are supposed to stand alone as a complete newspaper or magazine item for example.
      Yours would fit on a tiny space at the end of one!
      That said, what I read was very good - they just need expanded.

1. kb240801 profile image62
        kb240801posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. Ill try to write more.

2. Ohma profile image82
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

I have also had a look and would suggest that you might want to look more closely at spelling and grammar

3. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 6 years ago

You might want to add a photo capsule to your hub on "Girls and Makeup". Because, now don't take this personally, you don't make for a very attractive thumbnail image that accompanies your hub when checking out your latest hubs list.

Also, the 225 words you have written for that hub is far short of what you'll need to make it appetizing to Search Engines spiders. In fact, start from scratch. What you have written may only be suitable for a Facebook Status Update with a link to the hub. You'll need good quality content if you ever hope to earn off that hub or get organic traffic.

Read this forum post made by Relache less than 24 hours ago. Four short paragraphs in length but it's straight to the point and if you don't get anything out of it, then you're probably better suited to social networking than article publishing.

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. That is a good honest and helpful reply. smile

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

To my previous forum post I'd also like to add, learn what "relevancy" means in terms of web content and especially in relation to what tags you put on a Hub.

4. Mike Lickteig profile image91
    Mike Lickteigposted 6 years ago

I would like to make a point about your idea of reviewing Lakers games.  I do quite a few basketball posts, and they bring me a great deal of non-HubPages traffic.  However, I would suggest more generalized discussions about basketball or sports, for a couple reasons:  1) will you be able to say something unique that isn't found in the local newspaper?  and 2) will you be able to say something that will attract a reader to your hub two months after the game was played?  For something so very specific, you will probably generate traffic to your site only for a day or two after the game was played, and then you will likely be done.  There are a lot of issues and topics that a good basketball writer can address, and I would recommend investigating them.

Happy hubbing, my friend.