jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Wordpress and Dates

1. N. Ramius profile image82
    N. Ramiusposted 6 years ago

Is it possible for artificial dates to be displayed for posting on a site powered by Wordpress?

I ask because a non-hub article I wrote has been copied on the site and the posted date predates my published date by like 5 months even though I know I wrote the thing myself. I don't see how that could happen. As they don't use AdSense I'm not that concerned but it made me curious as all the contact, about us and other such links are duds leading back to the main page.

1. 1974 profile image58
      1974posted 6 years ago in reply to this

yes it is possible.  normally a post just grabs the current date and time, but it can be edited.

2. N. Ramius profile image82
    N. Ramiusposted 6 years ago

I did some more checking and found a couple other articles there copied from other authors. Is it worth contacting his host provider? No adsense and no real money making on the site but I don't want to have to keep an eye on the site.

If I file a complaint will I have a harder time proving myself with that artificial date on his site?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, Google stores cached versions of pages, so you should be able to prove that the blog wasn't published on the day it says it was.

2. 1974 profile image58
      1974posted 6 years ago in reply to this

if there is no contact info, you can do a Whois on the domain.  If it is a spam site, that will probably be private or even use bogus contact info.

At that point you could contact his web host.  But again, some spammers use reseller accounts with more bogus contact info.

Not sure where to go after that, there are a bunch of threads here about copyright infringement you could search for.

working