How does one become Naive?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I dont mean a traumatic brain injury that causes one to lose their senses, what I am asking is...when experiences are shared (such as being in school, not home-schooled) how does a person grow up to be naive?

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's a guy I know, extremely intelligent, but also very naive about nearly everything. I don't know too much about his history, but he was raised by a very Christian family who seemed to have sheltered him a lot. So I contribute his naiveness to that.

Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

dont mean to pry, but how old is he?  has he become less naive since being an adult?

1. profile image0

He's 19 I think. I don't know whether he has become less naive, I've only met him in college this year. His nativity is almost child-like.

oh.  i was hoping to hear of someone with more life experiences so I could understand the process.  thanks for responding.

1. profile image0

Sure. No problem.

2. Stimp profile image61
        Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to agree.  One can't be sheltered from the world AND be worldly at the same time.  I think parents now think spoon feeding their children the answers and not teaching them to think through issues on their own are feeling like they are doing them a favor.  I don't believe that to be true.  I believe the opposite, but that's just me.  If you've been successful at raising a worldly child who can think logically and quickly on thier feet WHILE spoon feeding them information and answer....then my applause goes out to you.. You've done a great job.....that's just not been my experience.

3. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Legendary:
        A belief in god/s is the acme of naivety.
        I've spent about 40 yrs "chatting" with them and studying their propensity for a belief in the "supernatural."
        I have not, yet, met one who has been able to overcome the English definition of "naivety."
        Shamefully, they are "blissfully" ignorant and unsophisticated.

2. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some of the brightest and least naive people I've met in my life are those whose education has not been "frustrated" by religious indoctrination and bigotry.

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

why the seperation of homeschool from public school?
      I was publicly schooled, and very very naive
      because no one told me anything.
      my children are homeschooled, and well on thier way to being far more informed then I was when I was thrown out.

I guess my answer is seclusion causes it.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Don't we all start out that way? Then we grow wiser?

thats what I mean, by the time one is finished with school and is an adult, they should no longer be naive, right?  So...how does one get to be an adult yet still be naive?

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I would reckon.

We are all naive, until we learn. Whether it by experience or even knowledge imparted to us. It's a slow process. We'll get to the end of our lives and still be naive about 99.99% of everything.

interesting....99.99% huh?

1. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't round it up so I rounded it down.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It's called "The Selective Learning" progression. People selectively pick and choose what they want to learn, after being schooled, regardless of home-schooled or not.

Most people will learn until they refuse to learn anymore and become content with what they know or think they understand.

As youngsters grow into adulthood, it's obvious, many get set in their ways early. They have a limited view supported by limited knowledge.

This goes hand-in-hand with selective hearing syndrome. The selective hearing syndrome has been growing in recent years.

This is having an adverse effect on the level of ignorance humanity has been registering over the last decade.

Just a thought.

I understand selective hearing, having been a victim of it   lol
      but selective learning?  I can understand that in terms of the educational system but not for Naivete

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Selective learning is when people pick and choose what they learn. Life itself is going to school you on the things schools don't teach, which is where experience comes into play.

Should you decide against learning something, then you're being selective by choosing not to. It's based on choice. As a human being, one is to never stop learning and should close never themselves off to learning.

You can choose to be open-minded or closed-minded or even narrow-minded, with extreme tunnel vision.

But, you selectively learn when anything other than open-minded.

what if it isn't a conscience decision to not learn?  an example would be...someone with Dyslexia doesn't choose to not learn how to read.  So, can someone actually continue through life being Naive about...say...how to effectively communicate with other people?  (without having a learning disability)

4. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

I don't think we "become" naive. We are born that way and as we have experiences and learn new things, we become less naive. The word naive is French loanword (adjective, form of naïf) indicating having or showing a lack of experience, understanding or sophistication. (from Wikipedia)

let's go with understanding....
      how does one grow up to be naive (not understanding) about certain situations and/or experiences  that all have shared on their way to adulthood?

5. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

We are born naive. Most grow wiser as they grow older. However, there are some who live very sheltered lives and continue being naive until reality sneaks up and bites them in the ass.

but what if they dont understand that reality?  and continue to be naive...

6. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Some people are extremely sheltered by there parents and even occasionally by their community. For instance I would consider Mennonites and The Amish to be naive in comparison to most people.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, one of my relatives married into an Amish community and her husband, although ten years older, is quite naive compared to her. He is so trusting of strangers and she worries that someday they may take advantage of his kindness.

although I can acknowledge this as a legitimate concern, I believe the Amish are capable of knowing when someone is taking advantage of them - after all, they live in a close knit community and do communicate with each other about more than their way of life.  smile
        I have dealt with Amish at my previous job and they are trusting, but can also easily sense when something isn't quite right.
        How long has your relative been married?

1. profile image0

They have been married for five years now, I believe. And yes, I'll admit that my cousin's husband may be an exception to the Amish naivete. However, I do know that the Amish are often used for cheap labor around here. In larger cities, especially, the people using them for labor on their homes will take advantage of their kindness (i.e. refuse to pay them for minor flaws, pay them little more than what the supplies cost, etc)

In smaller communities, the Amish seem to be well-respected individuals. Many will offer their car as transportation to the larger cities for a small fee. And it is common for people in smaller communities to befriend them as well. Amish bakery goods, fruits, and vegetables are a thing that people in these smaller communities go crazy for too.

that is more than I knew about the Amish.  I wish people would understand and treat the Amish with the same kindness and respect they give.

1. profile image0

Unfortunately, there will always be people out there who are willing to take advantage of others, especially when differences in their ways are so easy to identify. It's sad, but many believe money and material things are more important than the way they treat other human beings.

2. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live about 20 miles From Lancaster Pa. The Amish and Bretheren alike a mostly very respected here but that was not the case where I grew up in De. I think it is because the communities here are so much larger and better established.

I only ran into 1 person in 3 years who was disrespectful to the Amish.  He was a complete A$$hole, and made a rude comment about the smell of horses.

7. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I am naieve  wink

1. Ohma profile image61
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in a pigs eye! smile you are surely joking right?

2. profile image0
      moonphlowerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not hardly Hokey!!  smile

8. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

Alright....here's my experience and it either applies or it doesn't to others.  My father was very much apart of forcing us to think logically.  He did NOT spoon feed us info like kids are today.  He made us THINK before he gave us the answer.  I think we are all born with a blank slate and whatever our influences are while we are young are written on that slate and we carry those through life.  We learn from them or not.  My father was very wise in making our lives a wee bit more difficult by making us logically think through life's issue rather than giving us the answer.  I credit him for the logic skills and life skills I have today.  Fire away all...this is MY experience so please don't criticize.

9. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

In addition, I can't say that I'm not naive today....I STILL have alot to learn and believe me, I'm way past my 20's.  Being naive is part of the growing process.  If we all woke up at the age of 21 and knew all the answers, I don't think any of us would suffer some of the issues we have today.  Again, opinion...don't care about criticism.

If we all woke up at the age of 21 and knew all the answers, I don't think any of us would suffer some of the issues we have today.

that is a very interesting statement, and does kinda answer the question without being specific.  What I am asking is...are there some people who will not be able to overcome the issues they suffer from due to being Naive?  I am not referring to mental health issues some people have from childhood, but generally speaking of being Naive.

10. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

Cagsil has it about right in my opinion. I would see it as that we selectively learn everything, either because the selection is imposed on us by others like the christian guy, or we choose to learn what we want as we go along, and this would include learning from experience. Two people can experience the same thing and learn completely different things from it, marriage may be a good example smile   BUT to be naive is not necessarily to be ignorant, as in lack of understanding. From Critical Thinking, and most of the ancient thinking some of which survives as religion, we know that to really see what is going on around us we must "see through the eyes of a child". This is to try and strip away our own prejudices and pre-conceptions and try to see things from other points of view. This is to be naive.

11. Fluffymetal profile image75
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

young soul...lack of reincarnation.

12. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

an inability to want to accept truth

13. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I did not lead a sheltered life, yet I was very naive, until I started working in a place, where the bad things of this world were exposed as reality.  No more TV shows, where you know it is all an act.  When I met people who outside the home, who seemed like nice people, but they were't this helped me to wise up real quick.

14. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

you are born that way, but then due to experiences and your personality, people tend to want to believe the best in others, but most of the time the rest of the world just take advantage of  that. because they see it as a way to get what they want, whatever it may be

15. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I admit to still being naive even now. I believe people when they give me a sob story when they can't pay me what they owe, for example. Some people are very very good at lying and I am too trusting even now. That's naivety.
    When I was a taxi driver I heard all the stories believe me, but I still let some of them away with the fare because I believed them.
    Even now, someone posts they are in trouble and I assume they are not lying until proven otherwise.
    Isn't that naive too?
    I don't care. It's part of my humanity and who I am and I guess I won't change now.

16. jonathanacosta17 profile image60
    jonathanacosta17posted 14 years ago

how does a person become naive? or remain naive?

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I'm an old bastard and still naive about some things, like spoonin'.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats too bad....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)