jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

Facebook invented Hubtivity?

1. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 6 years ago

I think not!

But check this out...

InformationWeek reported Friday that Facebook has patented a method of "dynamically providing a news feed about users of a social network." The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office awarded U.S. Patent No. 7,669,123 on Tuesday. Facebook first applied for it in 2006, the story says.

The patent includes 25 separate claims. According to the patent summary:

As writer Paul McDougall points out, the patent could pose problems for other social networks that compile user activity feeds. It depends on how Facebook enforces its rights and how the courts decide to interpret the patent.

Read more at the Source

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

wow, that's interesting. i use facebook too but lately it has been confusing with their changes. i like the way HubPages does it the best.

2. Sally's Trove profile image99
    Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago

It will be interesting to see what HP does, if anything, in response to this.

3. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

Hope the courts throw it out.

1. Cagsil profile image82
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

4. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Who else used such a method before 2006?

5. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 6 years ago

I like it better here too. Simpler. Not all the hoopla and pointless garbage. This just seems more real.

6. MyWebs profile image84
    MyWebsposted 6 years ago

I don't like these types of broad generic patents. If anything they stifle invention and put other web sites at a disadvantage.

How hard is it really to do a few database queries and display it in a activity feed? Rather easy in my opinion.

Does this mean an Ajax feed of the latest this or that are in violation now?

7. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

Im on facebook - boring - although some of my friends like it as they play games like mafia wars and farming - I guess it is a required taste - it certainly is not for writers - can I call myself a writer ha ha smile

8. Oona Seckar profile image61
    Oona Seckarposted 6 years ago

Not the first time FB have appeared to be ethically challenged.

9. wrenfrost56 profile image83
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

Can they really do that? I hope not. Why would they want to do that? Questionable at the least. Thanks for this, it's good to know whats going on.

1. Red Anchor profile image79
      Red Anchorposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It starts with an m, ends with a y, and there is one word in between.