jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Changing a URL - spelling & optimisation

1. Carolina Crete profile image83
    Carolina Creteposted 8 years ago

I have just noticed that I have a spelling mistake in a Hub URL and am considering unpublishing and republishing to correct it. I am wondering about ..

1) Comments - is there any way of transfering the comments on the hub when I republish?

2) Does the spelling mistake affect search engine optimisation? ( I think maybe it does, but would be grateful of opinions).

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

When you say "unpublishing and republishing" I'm presuming you actually mean that you will delete the first Hub and make a second new one with the URL you want.  Because unpublishing and deleting are actually two entirely different functions...

No Hub content can be transferred over from one Hub to another, so you'll lose any comments from the first one when it goes.

3. funride profile image78
    funrideposted 8 years ago

Hello Carolina,

Which hub are you talking about!? I have go through all your hubs and I didnĀ“t found any url spelling mistake roll.

4. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

I don't tihnk the URL really has an effect on search engine traffic. I have mistakes in a few of my hub URLs, but I found it was just easier to leave them be versus redo them and lose comments.

5. Carolina Crete profile image83

Relache, yes I mean delete and start again.

Funride, hi, it's this one

"Engish instead of English"

Whitney thanks for your comments. 'Teaching English in Greece' is quite a searched key phrase. The hub is currently on page 4 of google for this phrase, but the google listing appears as 'hubs tagged Teaching English in Greece" , leading to this page http://hubpages.com/tag/teaching+english+in+greece/hot  and not directly to the hub.

Whereas some of my other hubs rank higher in google and lead directly to the hub.

I am thinking that the spelling mistake is making it miss out on a higher ranking.

It would be a real shame to lose the comments though...

6. johnr54 profile image70
    johnr54posted 8 years ago

If you are worried about Google rankings, I wouldn't bother.  Generally speaking, MSN is generally the only search engine that seems to weight the URL much in the search results.

More importantly for Google is Page Rank, the Title tags (for hub pages this is the title of your article) and the anchor text pointing to the article (once again for Hubpages this is generally the title of your article for links from other pages in Hubpages).

An example of one time the URL is important for Google is when you have links pointing to the article that have no anchor text, e.g. just  http://hubpages/Your-Article-Name, but that will only happen if you are building links outside Hubpages

If you are really interest in ranking for "Teaching English in Greece" I would make those the first words in the article title, not the second.  And get more links to the article.

7. outsourcingcheck profile image61
    outsourcingcheckposted 8 years ago

Yes dear. Misspelled words can affect search engine optimization.

8. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

outsourcingcheck, how do search engines know that you didn't mean to spell a word as you did. As it is a trend to spell words differently, how does a search engine know that the url mispelling was not done on purpose?

Carolina Crete, I've seen some of my hubs in search engines like that. It's just picking up that page of HubPages. Your hub should still be indexed some where in the search. The hubs of mine that I've seen like that don't have mispellings in the URL.

9. Carolina Crete profile image83

Have changed the title and have decided to leave the URL for now but I'll add more links and info.

Thank you all smile