Beginner looking for some critisism

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. TheJman profile image60
    TheJmanposted 14 years ago

Hey Guys and Girls!

So, I've just started, I am very excisted about hubpages! I have published 4 hubs so far. Obviousy my traffic is low, I know that this is not a quick way to get cash but it takes time and patients.

I would really appreciate it if any of you guys could give me some constructive critisism on my hubs. What you think I'm doing wrong? I know its a lot to ask, take your time to help me even though you don't know me, but if you have some time I would really appreciate it!

I have signed up with google adsense and with amazon. I click the share button and I've added my page to digg, twiter and stumble on.

I just can't seem to get enough! I love to see something develope and grow, but I am really worried that I'm doing something wrong?

Anyways, if you don't have time, really don't worry! I understand!

Regards
    TheJman

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I checked out your SA hub. A couple of points:

1)    Check grammar and spelling carefully. Example “There is a lot of bad stories that people hear” should be “There are…” – this can put readers off.
      2)    Pictures – SA is beautiful – show me how beautiful it is with lots of pictures!
      3)    Links – link to government sites, travel sites, sites related to the ‘things to do’ list
      4)    More info – you’ve listed a lot of hotels – give me personal ratings and reviews where possible, and add a link over the name of the hotel to their website.
      5)    Soccer – you open up with Soccer and then don’t write any more – not all your visitors will know about soccer or the world cup – use some ‘right aligned’ text boxes, shade them and then add some interesting facts about soccer and the world cup  - also add a link to the FIFA site and the Wikipedia entry for soccer.

Overall you have some nice content, it just needs a little jazzing up!

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
        wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow SimeyC . .that was awesome of you! such great comments. . . never ceases to amaze me how very helpful people around here are!

You rock!

2. TheJman profile image60
        TheJmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much! This is what i needed!!

1) Thank you for that, i need to proof read them better, i think i might print them out, find it easier to look at it and write on it! My spelling is really not great, thank goodness for spell check!

2) Im afraid to take pictures off the internet, I know I did in my earlier hubs but i think i may be infringing copy right and I should rather put up pictures I have personally?

3) Great idea!!

4) I was considering doing that, my problem is, I have not stayed in any of them? There is a lot of info on the net about them? Is it alright if I read their stuff and re write it the way i want to?

5) will do!

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to look through my hub! I'll pay it forward!

No problem - additional comments:

2) There are a lot of photos that are free to use as long as you quote the source - it takes a little work to find them but worth doing. Of course, if you can take pictures yourself and use them that is even better!
          4) Probably not - but linking to the Hotel website is a start.

Good luck with your hubs - you have some nice ideas...just a little jazzing up is required.!

Seriously! Thank you so much for taking the time! really awesome of you!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Travel-South-Africa-World-Cup
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Get-Your-6-Pack
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Clean-Yo … -Right-Way
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Buying-the-Right-Sunscreen

Just to let you TheJman, you can post links in THIS forum, for which, is called the Extreme Hub Makeover Forum.

Here you can ask for help or advice about your hubs. I have posted your links so others can simply go your hubs instead of having to go to your profile first.

Should you want further advice in the future, at least now you know you can post a link here and get help.

Welcome to HubPages. I'm off to check out your hubs. Be back in a little bit. smile

Thanks so much! I feel like a kid in a candy store! sorry for posting in the wrong spot! Thanks for posting my links! You guys are really helpful and I really love that about this site! I really hope that I can help others one day, teach me the way of the samuri tongue

3. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

The Jman -

Cags is a great help and he has sent you some really good info.

Just thought I would stop in and say Welcome!

Thanks wave! Wow, a 91! how you doinnn *best joey impression I can muster up tongue

4. Cagsil profile image70

http://hubpages.com/hub/Travel-South-Africa-World-Cup

The above Hub needs a revamp on the keywords. Some of the keywords you have used are a misrepresentation of your hub.

I also agree with SimeyC on his points. smile

5. Cagsil profile image70

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Get-Your-6-Pack

The above hub seems like a great hub. The keywords are good too.

However, you seem to have extra spacing at the end of some of the capsules you've used. This has created more "white" space between your capsules.

Edit your hub, then edit the Text capsules. Go to the end of each and either delete or backspace, so as to eliminate the said "white" space.

The differences in your spacing between capsules should be minimal, so your message flows without looking amateurish.

Go you! i think thats the effect of copying it to word for the spell check. Will be sure to correct it!

6. Cagsil profile image70

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Clean-Yo … -Right-Way

The hub above is way out of whack. The format looks messy and you don't have enough keywords on the hub.

I know you want to go quickly, but learn to crawl before you try to run. It will take some time, getting use to the positions of ads, which are delivered to your hubs, beyond your control.

You have too many mistakes on this hub to mention. Too many white spacing problems, misalignment of pictures and other things.

ok, yea, i have that problem in life as well. I like to dive right in, get my hands messy

7. Cagsil profile image70

http://hubpages.com/hub/Buying-the-Right-Sunscreen

This hub above is also messy and crowded. I say crowded, because you have many paragraphs that are simply too long and will most likely lose your visitor/reader's attention.

I would say that you also have a "white" spacing problem on this hub too. If need be, use more capsules to separate. Be careful about the white spacing at the end of each capsule. This seems to be a re-occurring theme or error on your part, when finishing a capsule.

Always spell check everything in your hubs. This should be the first thing you do, before publishing. You always have to make sure that your sentences are properly formatted to make sense to your majority of readers.

Other than that....have some good topics and remain open to other people's advice and you'll do well.

Have fun.

I cant thank you enough! I really appreciate it! Really really awesome of you! I will be sure to keep in touch and let you know how im doing thanks to the advice!

8. Cagsil profile image70

You're welcome. smile

So, I know a bit off topic, but, what do all you guys and lady do in life?

Apart from creating hubs? you mean there's life outside of hubpages!!?? I'm a computer geek working for a large accountancy firm! married with 2 kids..born in the UK living in the US!

1. KeithTax profile image73
          KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My God! Another accountant. I don't work for a large accountancy firm; I own a little accountancy firm.

I also want to chime in on one of your hub on suncreen. I agree with Simey, the paragraphs are too long and look blocky.

Consider more pictures and a video or two. Remember, images and videos don't have to all be crammed to the right.

Use more capsules and consider bullet points to outline a list of information. This will give your hub a lighter, more airy feel. It will read fast; always a good thing.

Great! Thanks so much!! thanks for taking the time! but how would you get the pics any other way besides left or right?

9. TheJman profile image60

ok so, I'm back! sorry for the delay! I'm a full time student, and well, you know how it is tongue

So just a quick question, is there any way to put a link on a word in my page, so like for the South Africa hub, i want to put a link to the fifa world cup cup, but i wana do it so that the sentence will read "Come visit South Africa for the fifa 2010 world cup" and if your click on "fifa 2010 world cup" it will take you to fifa's website?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

En edit mode, highlight the words "fifa 2010 world cup", then click the chain symbol, which will open up an insert link box.

10. TheJman profile image60

thanks so much!!

11. TheJman profile image60

Ok Ladies and gents! I've just published another hub. I think I may have nailed it with this one? But, I know I am still young in this game!

Please can you give me some critism on this hub?? Go wild, be as rough as you want, I need the critism badly!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Blackberry-8520 … eview?done

Thanks so much!

sad no critism? did I say or do something wrong?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)