Traffic - HubPages vs Squidoo

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 222 discussions (313 posts)
  1. broalexdotinfo profile image55
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

Of what I`ve noticed since I am a member of this great community that about 100 of the top hubbers or so are responsible for nearly 1/3 of the whole content, that is a bit different from Squidoo, not really sure how many users there are but for sure there`s a lot of non-quality content.

Best
    Alex

2. compu-smart profile image91
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

I have been to Squidoo so many times and I just find it a jungle and get lost and confused quite easily there although i know it has its place and is reputable for traffic if you can manage to make heads and tails of it, and i was just thinking to myself how funny the word actually sounds, and everytime i now say the word it always makes me laugh!!!!

Squidoo...lol see!

lol

Do You think it sounds funny!!??

1. Janet21 profile image81
      Janet21posted 15 years agoin reply to this

gOOgle - yahOO - squidOO

See the pattern? That is Seth Godin's brain power at work. wink

1. compu-smart profile image91
        compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OO0HH!! smile

Yellowpages, whitepages, hubpages!  see another pattern!smile

My gosh I think she's got it! (or he's got it).  I am not sure of your gender.  wink

1. markinter profile image62
            markinterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

wow, you guys are up to discovering something significant in naming things smile

3. garyjames profile image58
    garyjamesposted 15 years ago

This is my first comment on Hub pages. I regictered with both Squidoo and Hub pages with a couple weeks of each other. I truly think the content on the Hub is stronger than Squidoo.

But I like the fact that Squidoo goes to my blogs and updates the content on Squidoo automatically (if I want). I do not think Hub does that, right?

1. Inspirepub profile image71
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you are talking about RSS feeds, HubPages has those, too.

4. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Misha & Janet,

There was a triple posting of one of those scam scheme things on this thread. tongue

Thanks for clarifying.  I really thought I was losing it! smile

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL OK, it's clear now. I already started to think one of us was loosing the mind yikes

6. EricStifel profile image58
    EricStifelposted 15 years ago

Well, this is very interesting to know, I have recently opened accounts in both forums and await traffic from either or both. Based on the numbers you just mentioned, it would appear that my Hub here would get viewed more then my Lens over there, but since I'm new and still learning so many things about promoting, I doubt I'll have much traffic at either any time soon. Thanks for the stats though, I will say it inclines me to want to spend more time in here then over there, just based on the odds of exposer and the good kind, I know you don't allow the dirty kind over here, thanks to you pointing that out for me. he he he

7. Rhyemba profile image59
    Rhyembaposted 15 years ago

Brilliant news, thank you for sharing the information, please keep us all updated on the future of Hubpages vs Squidoo.

I am still new to Hubpages and still learning,

Best Wishes

Rhyemba

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No problem, let us know if you ever need anything. smile

Also, be sure to write original content in your Hubs, I just saw that your advertising ideas post is basically just a copy of what you wrote in your blog as well.

Duplicate content is never a good thing when it comes to you trying to get traffic.

8. markinter profile image62
    markinterposted 15 years ago

Anyone has any idea why almost always hubpages receive more traffic than squidoo?

9. britneydavidson profile image60
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

Amazing write-up. I feel hubpages is far better than squiddo in all respects. I love hubpages.

10. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I have written articles on squidoo, and I have noticed I do better on Hubpages when it comes to traffic. Thanks for the stats.

11. plaw profile image40
    plawposted 15 years ago

Hubpages gets my vote. I get 1000% more traffic here than at Squidoo.

12. markinter profile image62
    markinterposted 15 years ago

Me too. With the amount of work on Squidoo I use to make 1 lens, I can use the same amount of time and work here to make 2 high-quality hubpages and in the same time get maybe 3x more traffic = big return on investment. I will use squidoo only if I have to create something short...you know I noticed that lenses full with pictures are starting to get a good reputation smile

13. cflynn profile image71
    cflynnposted 15 years ago

i am delighted to hear it. I never got around to do the squidoo! now i don't feel so guilty!

14. laflat7 profile image39
    laflat7posted 15 years ago

i think Hubpages is better because have system of general HubScore of Hubber, to prevent "spammy" activity. So Hubpages have moe traffic and this traffics more qualitative big_smile

1. mr williams profile image59
      mr williamsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hubpages

15. profiler profile image65
    profilerposted 15 years ago

hubpages gets more traffic from google and more profit...

...let's see what happens when the algorythm changes again...

16. Garry_Woods profile image58
    Garry_Woodsposted 15 years ago

Hi from Garry_ Woods

Yes I am a member of both but I prefer to be here because well i need a lot of help to work out all of this stuff as my age Doesn't help much these days, as they are so long, but I have quite a bit of time on my hands now, I am fully Retired, and love writing if I can work out how to put every thing together here I will stay and make a lot of friends, sounds like a great home to be in HP interprited High PlacesLOL. you say good, anyway pleased to meet you all and would love as many as possible to join  my fan group and get to know you all thank you al and may God Richly Bless every one of you Great work Team.

17. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

You can share your experience here which you gained during your working days. You can also earn money by sharing this in hubpages.

Jyoti Kothari

18. profile image0
    shardyposted 15 years ago

Hello all, new to hubpages. I haven't yet hubbed. How is it here in the hubworld?

19. thehub profile image56
    thehubposted 15 years ago

At the same discussion on dp, many users say that hubpages tend to rank better in google against of those from squidoo. That means more traffic.

20. Trekkiemelissa profile image64
    Trekkiemelissaposted 15 years ago

I am another person here whom is doing both.  I have not done either that long and squidoo is the first one I have heard of.  Like hubpages talks about squidoo, there is discussion over there about hubpages so that is how I actually heard of hubpages and obviously I had to check it out.  No site is created equally.  I can write about certain things here but not over at squidoo and vice versa.  I rather not keep everything all in one basket.

In the short time, I've been here, it looks like I am getting more traffic and mind you that I am not really advertising to much to bring it either.

Here are my current stats to get an idea

Hubpages - 17 hubs - 139 Views
    Squidoo - 60 Lenses - 75 Views

This is for a 7 day period to get an idea.  So according to this data, I am doing better here than what I am doing over there,

Hi Trekkiemelissa! smile

I think it is difficult to compare the two sites this way since Squidoo calculates 'visitors' while Hubpages calculates 'pageviews'.  On Squidoo, each visitor is only counted once per 7 day period.  So, if I view a lens of mine everyday for a week, it only counts as 1 visitor, not 7.  I am not sure how Hubpages determines pageviews. 

My 7-day stats:

Squidoo 88 lenses, 5,879 visitors, average of 67 visits per lens
      Hubpages 10 hubs, 432 pageviews, average of 43 pageviews per hub

As far as earnings potential goes, I haven't been on Hubpages long enough to really compare it to Squidoo.  Although so far I have been happy with my earnings here. 

On Squidoo last month, I earned over $1,200  w/ 88 lenses. (this was partially due to a one time bonus we received and doesn't even include the money earned from 3rd party affiliate sales).   If I can earn that much money on Hubpages w/ 88 hubs, that would be sweet.  However, I am not convinced (yet!) that is possible.

21. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Not only is it easier to rank hubs but the revenue sharing is lot more transparent and fairer - its a win win

22. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

HubPages is #1 on my list the format is perfect!!! Back in the day when I was in college it was MCI vs AT&T I will stick with the one who gives the best results without all of the headaches. smile

23. patnamohan profile image58
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

smile smile smile  win win

24. askmrfrank.com profile image41
    askmrfrank.composted 15 years ago

Wowm great info. Keep up the good work!

25. justmesuzanne profile image85
    justmesuzanneposted 15 years ago

I couldn't figure Squidoo out!  Couldn't do it! I like the user friendly format and tools here. Plus I was already an Amazon Affiliate, so this fits right in with what I was already doing.

smile Suzanne

26. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 15 years ago

I joined squidoo but could not figure out what to do either. I find hubpages user friendly. So i guess my vote goes to Hubpages.

1. sukkran profile image61
      sukkranposted 15 years agoin reply to this

i agree with you, i left squidoo once for all and joined hubpages.
      sukkran

2. sukkran profile image61

please add my vote for hubs.
      sukkran

27. DNKStore profile image57
    DNKStoreposted 15 years ago

Glad to see the actual stats, they confirm what I had suspected.

One thing I would like to add is the fact that I find HubPages to be Far More User Friendly!!

Great Job!

28. Trekkiemelissa profile image64

Janet, you made a valid point.  No matter which way you look at it, there are pros and cons of both.

29. DarleneMarie profile image60
    DarleneMarieposted 15 years ago

Nice to know information!  I really like the look and feel of HubPages more than Squidoo.  HubPages look good, are simple and easy to read through.  I find Squidoo's format unappealing.

1. sukkran profile image61

you are correct, that's why i left squidoo and now making my hubs. hubs are user friendly.
      sukkran

30. grumpyjacksa profile image60
    grumpyjacksaposted 15 years ago

i also have a squidoo account.  for people into marketing, they offer more flexibility, with some html capability in the text modules, and no link restrictions.

however, the traffic system is not user friendly,  and most of my traffic comes from outside.  another point is the money share that gets paid out via paypal, which is of no use to me in south africa.

to top it all, i found myself locked out a week ago, and no password reset works.  i put in a support ticket, and as yet i am waiting for a reply.  all my lenses have been up for a while, so it's not because of any violation that i was shut out - must be just a system glitch.

squidoo, although looking more pleasing to the eye when completed, also fills the sidebar with distractions. at least, at HP, if you do write a pre-sell article, the reader's attention is focused on the content.

even one of my simple hubs that i built for the fun of it, gets a click every now and then from google.   it seems as if the fact that you have a higher percentage of content (and less distractions) does in fact make a difference.

i'll be building more hubs.  not so sure about squidoo, though......

31. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 15 years ago

I guess I am outnumbered here regarding my appreciation for Squidoo.  That is okay since this is a Hubpages forum, it is pretty much what I expected.   When Hubpages is mentioned on the Squidoo forum, the same thing happens except everyone likes Squidoo better.  wink

I prefer to use both platforms, so that my online earnings and exposure are spread out.  If for some reason one of these websites is gone one day, then I know that I have not lost ALL of my earnings.  I don't own either of these sites and have no control of what happens with them in the future.   That is the main reason I started on Hubpages.  I also run two niche blogs (I plan on adding a few more in the next year) so that I am even more diversified.

Many of you that posted here stated that you prefer Hubpages over Squidoo due to the traffic, layout and ease of use.  However, nobody mentioned earnings.  Is anyone earning good money here like many are on Squidoo?  Is it possible? Just wondering.

1. johnr54 profile image49
      johnr54posted 15 years agoin reply to this

My experience is that I do better for earnings on Hubpages as well.  While I have about twice as many hubpages as I do lenses, my earnings on Hubpages is probably about 10x that on Squidoo.  Of course your mileage may vary.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I too have times better earning on Hubpages - while I have times better traffic on Squidoo... We are still talking a few bucks a day though smile

2. Reg Brittain profile image60
      Reg Brittainposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Janet21,

I am both a lensmaster and a hubber, though I have only been the latter for a few days.  I submit that a look at Shailini's hubs will answer your question.  The reason that I started hubbing is I want to focus on Adsense revenue (and I read an article posted by Shailini on Xomba that got me interested), which Squidoo spreads out, as you know.

I still plan to be involved with Squidoo, after I build up the kind of Adsense flow I am looking for here ($100/day).  I see HubPages as a great way to earn from Adsense, and Squidoo as a great way to earn from ClickBank or other affiliate programs (a la PotPieGirl's One Week Marketing plan).

Right now, I am in love with hubs, so I feel a comparison with lenses is unfair at this time.  So, here is my unfair comparison -- hubs feel cleaner, and I like that you can write them and forget them (if you wish).  Keeping lenses updated is subtly overwhelming for me.

The traffic potential here, for those who work both hard and smart, is impressive to me.  (Again, I would point to Shailini's hubs.)

That's where I am at right now.  It'll be interesting to see if I am still "in love" months from now.

Best Regards,
      Reg

32. JohnST profile image59
    JohnSTposted 15 years ago

I have published a few hubs but I am too lazy to promote and have yet to see any earnings worth writing home about.

33. profile image30
    cobra01posted 15 years ago

this is good to know, thanks....

34. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I am afraid your up for a disappointment. Very few (if any at all) make that kind of money with Adsense on Hubpages. $20-30 a day is much more realistic target. Still very hard to get to, but realistic smile

1. Reg Brittain profile image60
      Reg Brittainposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I have faith in myself and in what shailini has shared in her hubs (and in the fact she has nearly 300 hubs published).  I don't expect it to happen overnight.

35. mdvaldosta profile image59
    mdvaldostaposted 15 years ago

I've got 89 Lenses at Squidoo (and counting) and 16 Hubs at Hubpages (and counting). I've decided to focus my time here primarily, it seems Hubpages really does earn traffic easier than Squidoo. While I haven't delved into the reasoning behind it, I do agree with the assesment that Hubpages provides better value for your time.

36. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

I agree with.

Jyoti Kothari

37. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 15 years ago

Hi, I just read through this entire thread from the beginning and wanted to jump in and say I love both Squidoo and Hubpages even though I just started out here.  I am looking forward to writing more Hubs and being part of the community.  smile

38. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 15 years ago

I have to go with HubPages all the way.
    I was on Squidoo for a long time. I'm not gonna go into detail as to what happened, but if you know me and know my blogs, it was pretty clearly detailed there.
    While I was complaining about what happened on one of my blogs, a HubPage person showed up and invited me to HubPages.
    I had a Hub here I put up a long time ago that, well when I looked at it I couldn't believe I actually posted something that looked that horrible.
    I took it down, redid it and started making more, deleted my Squidoo account (mainly out of anger) and haven't looked back since.
    All technical stuff aside, Hubpages people and management are a LOT easier to work with and friendlier.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever tried ezinearticles?

Jyoti Kothari

1. profile image58
        panah100posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just got a little holiday gift from them. They are very good. My goal is to reach 1000 articles sometime next year, though it'd be difficult smile

2. markinter profile image62
        markinterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ezine articles is very low ROI. Actually I'm leaving it forever and focusing on hubpages...maybe I'll use ezines now and then for article spinning. Other than that, no.

39. cyborg profile image59
    cyborgposted 15 years ago

pretty impressive stats for a 2 year old site. Kudos to hubpages. Squidoo was doing alright until it  got hit by google 1 year back smile

40. Chris Collings profile image60
    Chris Collingsposted 15 years ago

As featured in the latest newsletter:

Quantcast lists Hubpages at 192nd most visited site by Americans.

What is not mentioned is that Squidoo is 201st site most visited by Americans.

Chris

1. gbrgn profile image60
      gbrgnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Pretty good. I thought Hubpages had fewer hubs and started after Squidoo.

I just did a comparison in quantcast between the two. What's interesting is that for all of 2008 Squidoo ranked higher in visitors but by the end of December Hubpages caught up and started surpassing Squidoo.

41. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

1000/12= 83

83/30 (days) = 2.777777778

I think it can be done smile good luck with the 1000 articles!

42. Reg Brittain profile image60
    Reg Brittainposted 15 years ago

I like the culture here better.

Way more people post in HubPages' member forums than in Squidoo's, if I recall correctly.  And I find it friendlier here.

43. jeffwend profile image46
    jeffwendposted 15 years ago

I have been much more active at Squidoo so I must say that I do prefer that format.  But I do like HubPages.  They really are two very different websites.

Both allow us to communicate our passions, knowledge etc.

My top lenses get 400-1200 views a week.  My top hub is lucky to be in the double digits, but I think that if I spent more time here I could generate more traffic.

Both have some great content, but both have some junk.  Squidoo has it's system of burying the junk and HubPages has its own system.

The one thing that does surprise by about HP is that with all of their great quality control, there are way too many garbage hubs from India of pictures of women.  To me, this does not help HP's image.  Don't get me wrong, I know Squidoo has a lot of garbage too.

44. Trekkiemelissa profile image64

Both sites have pros and cons.

When I first posted in this thread originally, I was actually getting more traffic here, but right now I am getting more traffic there.  The thing is the traffic on the two sites are going to fluctuate here and there so where one misses, the other picks up.  I believe in not having everything all in one basket that way we have something to fall back on if we need to.

I like both sites as both as have different things to offer.

45. Andromeda10 profile image68
    Andromeda10posted 15 years ago

I do not know anything about Squidoo but I know the tight knit community and friendships that form here on HubPages is unlike any other.

46. seemorebangkok profile image60
    seemorebangkokposted 15 years ago

I use both and I'm quite happy with both. As for who gives better traffic I would say hubpages has an edge. Most likely because they're more strict with the author's hub content quality.

It's true you can practically throw up anything on squidoo. But even though, I've noticed you can rank quite high with squidoo as long as the content is unique.

The only real upside to squidoo is if you know a bit of CSS and XHTML you can do a lot in terms of designing your layout and making it really unique.

47. BristolBoy profile image61
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

The latest Alexa rankings show that Hubpages is ahead of Squidoo.  What is more, the growth in traffic over the last three months for Hubpages surpasses that of Squidoo, so the gap between the two will only get bigger.  I also believe Hubpages still has less hubs than Squidoo has lenses, meaning the views/impressions per page must be much higher for Hubpages.

Links to alexa rankings on hubpages:
    http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traff … bpages.com

Link to alexa rankings on squidoo:
    http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traff … quidoo.com

48. danieltetreault profile image66
    danieltetreaultposted 15 years ago

Without a doubt. Hubpages kicks ass on Squidoo. It get soooo much more traffic through Hubpages than Squidoo. I just prefer the cleaner feel that Hubpages has over Squidoo.

Squidoo's design is just too busy for me. Hubpages is much more user friendly too!

Daniel Tetreault.

49. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 15 years ago

I have a Squidoo account too and i have written only one lens so far. I find hubpages much more user friendly than squidoo.

50. rmshdc profile image58
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

like Anamika S I have only one LENS so far.  HubPages is lot more easier to management than squidoo.  Moreover, I have been following traffic info on Alexa, Hubpages is doing better these days.  As pointed in this thread, per hub traffic is far greater than Squidoo. 

Another Point I would like to make is that in India, traffic rank for HubPages is 105 compared to 242 for Squidoo. 13.6% all users for Squidoo came from India, where it 22.6% for HubPages.

1. rmshdc profile image58
      rmshdcposted 15 years agoin reply to this

MY reply in this thread HAS appeared several times (same msg repeated 4 to 5 times).  Why?

when I press SUBMIT button after the above reply, instead going back the thread, there appeared a blank page with word PING.

Can somebody at hubpages, delete extra entries of the same msg, please!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)