jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Yippee, I did something of social justice value...

1. salt profile image65
    saltposted 6 years ago

If you are an Australian in Victoria, I have a petition up regarding basic fines and low income earners...

please view it..

I am a bit proud of myself making this effort. Hopefully I will get some good responses from people.

2. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

Lets hope all the aussies here have a look! big_smile

3. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Well done Salt... Nothing like Peppering those who create social injustice smile  Good on you mate.

4. salt profile image65
    saltposted 6 years ago

because I was listening to an aboriginal radio show and they were talking about all the fines people get and how they have to pay extra costs.

These can be very disadvantaged people and fines comesurate with income level make a big difference to some on low incomes. Im not talking about serious fines, .. but parking and transport that can impose an unequal burden on some....

I noticed our council is building community centres with food kitchens for those on low incomes and I thought this was getting a bit out of hand. If they made the fines easier to pay, the people who may up needing these services would be saved the walk through the welfare system. The welfare dollar could go to other areas.. like drug and alcohol related matters or disasters or real homelessness.

The fees here end up through the state courts system and people can end up with their belongings taken... which for some is highly unreasonable.

I note this because 2 rather hefty fines due to what might be described as illness related behavior have cost our household dearly and I studied economics... so if I find it a burden, how do others on less, with less education fair?

5. wrenfrost56 profile image83
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

I think it's a great idea, more power to you. I hope you get lots of people involved and the petitions is a success. I think the poorer should be given more let up, well done you. smile

6. salt profile image65
    saltposted 6 years ago

thanks, I realized when i took the tram people to  court, or waited until it reached the court stage as the tram inspector had lied on his form and I wanted to stand up for myself, the amount of people waiting for legal aid help on the day.

Then you think about how they cope in life with a different education to me... expectations that the poor are bad.. yet maybe

it is

a case of poverty is a crime.

I want to get tshirts that say - my poverty is your crime and see sell them for some cause. I havent found the cause yet, so I am waiting for the right one.

7. rebekahELLE profile image93
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

good for you salt, nothing like taking action to make things happen! smile