jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Which do best - new hubs or old?

1. The Indexer profile image81
    The Indexerposted 8 years ago

A comment on another thread (by Stacie Unpronounceable) suggested that hub traffic improved for her after several months had elapsed. This seems a bit strange, because surely old hubs get lost deep "underground" after they have been seen by fan clubs, etc, and so one would expect traffic to tail off over time rather than increase?

Or are there other mechanisms at work here that I am not aware of?

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image88
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago in reply to this

With time you will also publish more popular hubs.  I accidentally published one of these -- accidentally because I had no idea it would do so well.  This one hub did very well, and I think it drew some readers to check out my other hubs.  I was able to see why that hub did well, and follow that style for other hubs.

At the same time, as already mentioned, some of the older hubs had started showing up more in search engines.  Then, some of my hubs were linked in blogs, increasing my traffic.

There are a ton of different factors at play.  They all kind of came together for me and my traffic (and earnings) continues to get better.

2. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 8 years ago in reply to this

As I look at my Hub stats, my highest scoring Hubs right this minute show build dates of

New does not equal most traffic and old does not equal least traffic.  It's about relevancy to a human looking for that info.  Keep connecting with those people and your traffic will do well.

3. darkside profile image83
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The traffic from Fan Clubs are nothing compared to a hub with quality and timeless information that gets indexed and ranked highly by Search Engines and word of mouth.

2. Hope Alexander profile image79
    Hope Alexanderposted 8 years ago

Yes. There are dark and unnatural powers at work here! These mysterious mechanisms are known as "Search Engines". They send traffic unto webpages LONG after the web page has been published! In fact, the longer a web page is around, and the more backlinks it gets, the more its popularity may rise. I don't trust them myself, and always wear an SEO amulet gifted unto me by a tiny monk I met in a dimly lit chatroom. It has served me well.

3. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

That's right - with a web page, success breeds success. The initial surge of visits to a hub is mostly fellow hubbers traffic. Google traffic tends to come later, and (in my experience at least) yahoo later still. But with luck you get found by a bulletin board or similar, and get another wodge of visits. Then, if the page rank improves, that also breeds more visits. Quite a slow process though, and far from guaranteed!

1. Lissie profile image86
      Lissieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Or you can make your own luck  by tastefully linking to your relevant hub on bulletin boards and blogs!

4. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

Indeed you can, but isn't it nice to be discovered occasionally wink

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

I discovered that some of my Hubs are used regularly by college and university placement offices and work readiness programs in the US, so that helps. Others are used by teachers in the in the classrooms K-12. Others by additional types of groups. Once discovered by interested people, the word spreads.