jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Photo Permissions?

1. 0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 6 years ago

What is required when asking to use someone's photo? I've already gotten an email saying I can use them and a link the photographer wants me to provide, but is that all I need? I don't want to get in trouble, as I know these photographs are under a commercial license and copyright of some kind. Should I just save the email in case something happens or do I need something more official? Or am I being too cautious?

2. MyWebs profile image84
    MyWebsposted 6 years ago

If your sure you have been in contact with the person who owns the copyright to the images then just do as they ask and your good to go. I would save the email in case there is ever a dispute, but that is not likely.

A copyright owner can decide under what terms and conditions others may use their pictures. He could charge you $10 a day, per view or whatever he wishes. If all he wants is a link then make damn sure you put that link under the picture and you should have no problems.

An email is official enough since it can be used as evidence in a court of law. You must be cautious to cover your own butt.

Under the picture I would use wording something like this:
    Used with permission: http://example.com/

It is worth noting that asking permission first goes a long way with many. I own a picture of a famous landmark that often comes up #1 in Google images. Steal my picture and I will force you to take it down. Ask me nicely before using it and I will probably let you use it for free, credit and a link. Too many people online today think everything online  is free for the taking. Stealing content is a good way to get sued for copyright infringement!

I'm glad to see your respecting others copyrights, taking the time to first seek permission and asking the right questions. So many don't.

1. 0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the great tips. I will definitely save the email and make sure to provide the link. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good idea, but two points to note:

- You'll have to put either a links capsule or a text capsule under the photo.  A caption doesn't provide a live hyperlink so it won't meet the requirements.

- Personally, I would say "Image copyright http://example.com, used with permission", just so it's clear to visitors that the image is copyrighted.

1. 0

Ah, good idea, Marisa! Wouldn't want anyone else getting in trouble for using a copyrighted image and I may get in trouble if they got the image off of my article. So I will definitely make everyone aware that they are copyrighted images.

I've never used a link capsule before, but I was planning to write a short plug for his online gallery, asking others to take a look at some of his other work anyway. He really is very talented and was kind enough to say I could use three of his photos that are absolutely perfect for the hub I'm writing.

Thanks for the tips, Marisa smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That sounds even better - in that case, a simple "copyright (photographer's name) in the caption would be enough.

There are lots of places to get photos you can use.  I use Flickr all the time - do an Advanced Search and tick "Creative Commons" and "for commercial use".  That will give you photos you can use.  All you have to do is thank the photographer in your Hub - you don't have to ask them for permission.

Like you, I like to give the photographer a bit more than just a thank you, so I always include a hyperlink to their Flickr photostream in the credits at the end of my Hub.

3. Michael Willis profile image76
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

Exactly, I would keep the email saved somewhere. I have a picture that I will be using in my next hub and I emailed the person who owned the picture and asked permission and received it. He only asked for attribution and included the link he preferred. So I did as he asked as well give a short plug for his website as a thanks!

Asking first really opens doors sometimes.

1. 0

I agree. It certainly does open doors, as the public domain images I found on Google weren't exactly what I was looking for lol