HubPages Hop

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 64 discussions (104 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

We've just opened up a new discovery tool that I'm excited about called Hub Hopper.  It allows you to quickly browse through and read semi-random hubs that have been published recently, with a bias towards hubs in topic areas that you are following.  It also has easily accessible buttons for rating and for flagging inappropriate hubs.

Our hope is that Hop will be both a fun way to discover interesting new hubs and an easy way for the community to help separate the wheat from the chaff.

If you have any trouble using it, or if you have feedback, suggestions, or concerns please post them to this thread.

Start Hopping!

1. kenneth godin profile image61
      kenneth godinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it would be interesting and fun for us hubbers who are serious about it,but what about those people who are just gonna go around and flagg everyones hubs because they have nothing better to do?

pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All flagging a hub does is bring it to the attention of our moderators.  As long as the hub is within our terms of service, there are no negative consequences.  (But please do flag hubs accurately, our moderators are already overworked!)

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what is the criteria for photos only hub?

btw, like the feature, it looks like fun.

2. kenneth godin profile image61

thanks alot for the feed back Paul!

3. mailxpress profile image50
          mailxpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
          I'm happy to hear that if someone flags a hub that it get reviewed by a human being instead of immediately taken down by a computer.  Thanks for the info.

About the hop, I tried it but I was brought to hubs which I had no interest in.  I enjoy typing into the field what I am looking for and take it from there.

mailxpress

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've been here 5 days, how many "nothing better to do hubbers" do you think there are?  I think you'll find there are far more serious folks here than goof-offs.

BTW....welcome to Hubpages.

1. kenneth godin profile image61

Thanks,and your probably right!

2. Veronica Allen profile image68
      Veronica Allenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a great tool! I just checked it out and I thought it was really cool.

1. profile image0
        WildIrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like this tool more than the Hub Feed.

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, this is really cool! thanks! you guys are always coming up with neat stuff for us hub hoppers wink

http://i40.tinypic.com/i50i6o.gif

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had seen this feature in my accounts page and clicked. I have visited few hubs from this feature and enjoyed.
        Thanks for adding a feature.
        Jyoti Kothari

4. Leandraluv profile image69
        Leandraluvposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I discovered this feature this morning and ended up reading quite a few hubs! It's a cool feature and it helps give hubs more exposure. Well done!

5. starme77 profile image79
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is A Really Cool  Feature Way to Go smile I Love it

6. retired06 profile image71
        retired06posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just tried out "Hub Hop" and love it !  It is a great idea!  Thanks to who ever came up with it.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is a very nice idea, Thank you Paul! HOP HOP HOP

3. SunSeven profile image62
      SunSevenposted 14 years ago

Great feature Paul. Its similar to stumble upon.

Best Regards smile

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 14 years ago

I just browsed through this... fantastic feature...absolutely loved it! Thank you... smile

2. wrenfrost56 profile image57
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Very cool new tool Paul, just had a quick look. Thanks smile

1. frogdropping profile image77
          frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Well - utterly perfect for frogs. I'm sure I'll get much use out of it. Thankyou Mr Deeds and co smile

1. darkside profile image66
            darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Frogdropping is going hubhopping!

2. Jane@CM profile image59
          Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

The first thing that came to mind was a perfect time to release the "hop" with the Easter Bunny right around the corner.

My first hop delivered a decadent chocolate cake recipe YUM!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Nice - how handy.  I can't imagine any improvements from what I've seen.

(The thread with "Hop" in it caught my eye.  I couldn't imagine what "Hop" might be.  Thought maybe HubPages was having a giant get-together at a malt shoppe somewhere in the middle of the US, for the purpose of dancing and playing oldies.  smile )  Oh well, I'm more likely to take advantage of the HubPages version of "Hop" anyway.

2. frogdropping profile image77

Ok, I've been hopping. But I hopped through your link. Where is the hopping thing? The feed? I'm off to find it, surely you stuck it somewhere obvious.

We haven't decided where to put the link to it yet.  So, for now, you'll have to get to it from my forum post.  Soon enough it will have a home.

1. darkside profile image66
                darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just so long as it doesn't go at the top of the page of our own hubs.

Squidoo has tried it on several occasions under different guises.  They don't seem to get the message that most of our traffic is hard won and we don't appreciate traffic leaks.

But it could work well for visitors coming via the hub homepage.

3. frogdropping profile image77

Ahh that explains why I can't find it then. Well, in that case, pop it on my profile. I have space smile

4. AEvans profile image73
            AEvansposted 14 years ago

I love it , there is nothing like hopping to something new! Thank you again. smile

Could you put the hop in between the 'my profle' amd 'contest' button?

frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol shhhh AE - I've already made the best suggestion wink

1. AEvans profile image73
                AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sshhhhhh o.k. smile

5. blondepoet profile image67
            blondepoetposted 14 years ago

This is a brilliant idea.

6. Jen's Solitude profile image84
            Jen's Solitudeposted 14 years ago

This is a great feature, very easy to use and so convenient. I did wonder where the link was, but have since read it hasn't been given a special home yet, so will continue to use this link until . . .

7. wavegirl22 profile image47
            wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

The Hubbers Hop . . I just love it!

BlondePoet really coined it when she said

'This is a brilliant idea.'

8. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
            ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Very fun! Thanks. I've been trying to make sure I do more reading in addition to writing, and this is a very easy and interesting way to do it...

9. AEvans profile image73

Here is one little glitch, if you have to flag a hub it will not allow you to leave the comment. You click on the button and then the box for comment is clear and stands behind the categories. smile

10. adrienne2 profile image65
            adrienne2posted 14 years ago

It is amazing at all the upgrades Hubpages as has made in recent months.  Now we have the Hop, cool!!

11. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 14 years ago

hopefully, the hop will only be visible to logged in users?

even then, can we voluntarily remove ourselves from the "hop" feed, Its a cool functionality as a reader but its not adsense monetized. I know we dont expect much adsense returns from fellow hubbers (rightfully so, im completely ad blind myself)..But, when an article gets featured I see doubled adsense returns so its not a completetely accurate belief.

Will the hop be adsense monetized before its completely live?

It kind of feels like my content is being used in a way that I didnt know about when I first published it. If the hop showed a teaser or was a frame over the actual hub, i would feel different.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that.

2. MyWebs profile image79
              MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes will this have AdSense, Amazon and the others added to it?

And since this web app encourages users to randomly hop around looking for a hub they like I can see this *royally screwing up* a hubs average "view time". Since  "View Time" is a factor in hub scores it shouldn't be affected by tons of random hops in my opinion.

If there will not be monetization of these hubs content and/or it will mess with "View Times" then please give us either an opt-in or opt-out method please.

I like sunforged's idea of a short teaser, I would say 2 paragraphs would be good. Then if it sounds interesting a user can click through to the hub.

While I been wondering when HP would use a bit more Ajax around here this isn't exactly what I would have created.

View times from Hop are not considered as part of HubScore.   One of the goals of the Hopper is to help us to more quickly identify low quality hubs and hubs that violate the terms of service, both of which are a drag on the entire community.  If we allowed opt-out spammers would just use that in order to avoid scrutiny.  Therefore it's unlikely that we'd do that.

1. MyWebs profile image79
                  MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response pauldeeds. I never considered AdSense not working properly in a hub loaded via Ajax. So that makes a lot of sense as well as why opt-out isn't a good idea either. I'm glad our view times are not affected. smile

Ok I like this idea now, I'm sold on it.

I do like how fast the hubs load via Ajax. It is so fast. Give us more Ajax goodies!

2. hypnodude profile image61
                  hypnodudeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, maybe I'm out of my element, but if the hopping isn't counted as a view and it doesn't affect hubscore if a hubber has read my hub with the hop why should he read it again? If he doesn't want to leave a comment and it doesn't affects views and scores with the hopping I'm loosing both of them. That is for three days I loose traffic, am I wrong?

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Hubs are only shown in the hopper for the first 3 days after they are published, so it should not have any significant effect on long term traffic or revenue.  Further, the hopper is only for registered HubPages users, and the chosen hubs are shown basically at random (good ones aren't "featured").  We do not currently plan to show ads in the hopper, although Amazon and eBay capsules obviously do appear.  Because of the way hubs are loaded into the hopper via ajax (and similarly the preview feature in the feed), it's actually not possible to show contextual ads on them.

1. sunforged profile image70
                sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

between the 3 day limit and the registered user function, im sold.

i follow the make money category, 6 of the 12 i viewed in the hop were utter garbage, its nice to have a quick way to being attention to them and help keep up the quality of the site

but on the other hand, i follow the health category and they were all of impressive quality

Me too!

12. Pamela99 profile image90
            Pamela99posted 14 years ago

I think this is a terrific new feature because you can really see what hubs about a particular topic are available in a short amount of time.

13. lorlie6 profile image73
            lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I love this idea, but will there be a 'button' or something so we can hop?

14. Michael Willis profile image66
            Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Aren't hubs suppose to be more than just pics? I mean those with NO words at all?
            Asking here because I saw this hub through "HOP."

You will see Hubs that are just pics - usually Indian actresses!  People create them because they get lots of traffic, so they think they're going to make a mint - then they discover it's not paying traffic (people come to admire the photos, not to click on ads).

I've tried hopping a few times now - is there a way to control which categories I see?  If not, I'd find the constant Indian Auntie Hubs too annoying to use it.

1. Michael Willis profile image66
                Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean Marisa. My only question about the hub I saw was the fact it was only 1 picture!!!  Then there were numerous links that went no where.

15. englightenedsoul profile image57
            englightenedsoulposted 14 years ago

Marisa I think it shows only the hubs from the topic feeds you follow.  Like i only see the health hubs when I am hopping...But not sure.  Just check which topic feeds you follow and which hubs it shows....That would solve ,my confusion as well.

Hubs in topics that you follow will appear first, but if you do a lot of hopping you'll see hubs in any topic.

16. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I havent seen an auntie or photo hub in the hop yet but I follow only two topics..one being the contest category..so far Ive only seen health hubs.

1. profile image0
              wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hate to be obtuse, but how did you follow the contest category exactly?  I don't see how to follow topics of interest to me.  Then again, I haven't spent much time figuring it out.  So, if you want to ignore me, I don't blame you a bit.  wink

1. Pearldiver profile image67
                Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh.... Dohhhhhh Laura lol

2. sunforged profile image70
                sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im incapable of ignoring

just click this link and you will see a big green button

http://hubpages.com/topics/health/2155#

1. profile image0
                  wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know that, I just don't see the topic in hop mode.  I'm already following it.  I don't know, maybe I'm just too tired for something so complex.  lol

I think I'm seeing a lot more topics than you because I follow a ludicrous amount of topics...  That must be why I'm not seeing any of the contest hubs yet.

2. Fluffymetal profile image75
              Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

Love the idea

3. hypnodude profile image61
              hypnodudeposted 14 years ago

I think I'll give my two cents opinion, without any intention to offend anyone, but I think it was a better feature the old topics page with a selection of hubs. First because it gave much more traffic to hubs, at least to mine; and second because in that way low quality hubs were put outside. I found it a great way to know about new hubs. With this hopping if I'm not one of those hubbers who publish consistently at least each day how many chance do I have to be hopped? Maybe I'm too much on the organized side, but I preferred to look at the old topics page.
              Also as hopping seems to show only Ebay ads I find this, as regards earning money, not much right as I'm not allowed to have them, and if someone look at my hubs only with that feature as it is I earns 0. And this leads to another point: can new hubbers like me have another option as regards auctions? Because without Ebay we loose a big option of earning money and also to write sales targeted hubs.

This is only my opinion, without any offense intended, thanks for reading. smile

1. Dale Nelson profile image38
                Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Hi Paul and fellow hubbers.

I liked the rate at which the pages download quicker than usual.I realise I have to join more groups though as there were only 8 hubs to hop - Done that.
                I did find it hard to see the block with the options.Can we move it to the left side of the screen as I sometimes work off a smaller screen and the bar at the bottom doesnt move the block, only the page.

Good addition though, thanks again
                Dale

2. liswilliams profile image41
                liswilliamsposted 14 years ago

Thanks Paul
                sounds good

3. TNmoonshine profile image62
                TNmoonshineposted 14 years ago

Cool

4. Internetwriter62 profile image80
                Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

Thank you for finding more ways of improving the over all performance of Hub Pages and it's community. I look forward to trying this new tool.

5. englightenedsoul profile image57
                englightenedsoulposted 14 years ago

Thank you pauldeeds...You solved all my queries and doubts!!

6. Dale Mazurek profile image62
                Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

What a great feature.  It actually gives us somewhat of an idea of what Hubpage staff has to go through.

I hate to say it but there are a lot of crappy hubs coming through the system.

I believe with us helping it will make this a better place.

I did find some very good hubvs that got an up rating from me.

Dale

7. IzzyM profile image85
                IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I love this new feature, and it is so quick to load! As Dale says, there is a lot of crappy hubs to be waded through and ones that are barely more than one paragraph long!
                But what a great way to find good new hubbers. Also there seems to be a tremendous amount of hubbers I never knew existed or were still active as they never use the forums.

8. frogdropping profile image77

Ok that's good to know Paul. I wondered where the ads were but of course Sunforged was the one that thought to ask. I just bugered of to start hopping.

Love the hopping frog thing when you click the hop button. Seriously - who ever thought my ass looked that good.

9. Dame Scribe profile image56
                Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Will it be available as a Widget smile thank you Mr. Paul and HP team, you're awesome.

10. Daniel Carter profile image62
                Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Just did some hopping. Rated up and down, flagged a hub or two and made comments on new awesome hubs.

Very stylomatic, Paul and team. Much grooviness to you all for your cool work.

11. Dorsi profile image88
                Dorsiposted 14 years ago

Thanks Paul. You guys (and gals!) are always doing great things to improve HubPages. I'll have to try the new "hop".

12. Glenn Stok profile image97
                Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

This is similar to clicking on the "hubs" tab and then clicking "Latest" except that Hopping is more focused on our own interests. What a great idea!  Thanks Paul.

13. knowledgeeater profile image58
                knowledgeeaterposted 14 years ago

Great idea! I'm very new to Hubpages, so hi to everyone!

14. profile image0
                IĆ°unnposted 14 years ago

This thing is really neat, I just tried it.  smile

15. Jewels profile image81
                Jewelsposted 14 years ago

It is a good feature.  I was taken directly to a hub on how to enlarge your penis lol  I don't have one of those appendiges, and I had no idea Hubpages had a section that accommodated this sort of how to!  Amazing what you find without trying. lol

1. RedElf profile image90
                  RedElfposted 14 years ago

This is a great new toy. big_smilebig_smilebig_smile
                  Found lots of interesting new hubs, and so fast! Loved that part. big_smilebig_smile
                  Do you ever plan that we could be able to select the topics to hop through or will it always run through our own "topics of interest"? It is great as is, I'm just curious wink

2. AEvans profile image73

Well I love where the link is now, thanks! smile

1. Isabelle22 profile image60
                    Isabelle22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too thank-you HP's

1. Money Glitch profile image64
                      Money Glitchposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me three ! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0065.gif Bravo, I like the link in the account section as well!

3. fastfreta profile image74
                  fastfretaposted 14 years ago

I am loving this Hub hoping.  I often miss my favorite hubbers hubs, but this way I'll be able to see them more often, in addition I'll be able to see new hubbers or hubbers that I've previously not known.  Thanks Hub staff for this wonderful new feature.

4. heart4theword profile image61
                  heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I tried it out:)  It was nice, that the pages, came up fairly quickly.  I noticed I was able, to read more in a shorter period of time.  Great idea:)

5. west40 profile image59
                  west40posted 14 years ago

Really enjoy Hub Hopping - great feature

6. C.V.Rajan profile image58
                  C.V.Rajanposted 14 years ago

Nice feature.

7. profile image0
                  Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

oooo a new toy? for us? AAAA Paul you guys didn't have to but thank you hehehe I'm off to play with it now

8. Research Analyst profile image74
                  Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Great idea, thanks for the new tool, it is very useful.

9. nasus loops profile image65
                  nasus loopsposted 14 years ago

Haven't had a good look at it yet, but it looks like fun.  Hope to play with it soon.

10. Missi Darnell profile image60
                  Missi Darnellposted 14 years ago

Absolutely love this new feature!!! I've been addicted all morning!

11. frogdropping profile image77

Well I need to stop hopping. It's just too easy to hop from hub to hub. I do wish I didn't keep getting picture hubs though, or find an endless stream of marketers just here to direct me at their websites.

I'm supposing there's a way to filter some stuff out?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
                    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But frogs are meant to hop...

frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol UW they are. But ... I can't leave the damn thing alone. I really like using it. I just love the way it works. But - like others I hop onto a lot of piccy hubs, when I'd rather not. I've seen enough boobies and suggestions of nether regions to put me off my dinner.

Anyway - as far as I'm concerned, it's a cool tool. I've found some great newly published hubs, as well as a lot of crap.  Spammers and copy artists beware - the hubhopper shows you sooooo much easier *nods*

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
                  Necessary
                  HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
                  LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
                  Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
                  AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
                  HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
                  HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
                  Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
                  CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
                  Features
                  Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                  VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                  PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                  Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                  MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
                  Marketing
                  Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
                  Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
                  Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
                  Statistics
                  Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
                  ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
                  Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
                  ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)