jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

A printed social networking card

1. gracenotes profile image93
    gracenotesposted 6 years ago

I need some ideas on how to design a business card highlighting my web writing.

Since I am retired, I don't have a card anymore, and I sure miss it.

Have you had any cards printed?  If so, what do you suggest putting under your name?  I am not sure freelance writer would be very good, since I haven't taken on any of those type jobs yet, although it might be a possibility in the future.  What about using "web publisher?"

I have (or will have) some other designations for my name (Certified Tourism Ambassador, or CTA, coming very soon) and I would like to add that I am on FaceBook as well.  I will, of course, add my profile page URL from this site.

Since I am not incorporated in an actual business name, I guess I need some help.  I understand that this type of social card is all the rage now, from retirees to neighborhood moms who want to arrange play dates.

I  love this stuff.  I can't help thinking back to the distant past when everyone had a calling card.

2. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

My sons wanted a card having their internet info on there, FB and email and curious about a title too. We agree with just 'Artist' since they do some artwork and are guitarists amongst being mischievous wink but for their gal friends tongue lol lol. smile a generic title that can be considered more to it. Just a thought.

3. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

having no title allows you to verbally say one when you physically pass the card..its not as if you will be leaving stacks of them around!

but you shouldnt be hesitant to title yourself as a writer...present yourself as what you would like to be doing not just what you have done

4. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I would put freelance writer as you are writing and wish to be freelancing for $.

I was thinking of titles this morning when I was doing some work and overheard something on cnn where they were talking about doctors.  a man said doctors are people first who happen to be doctors. I get what he was saying. we get too caught up with titles. titles are not who we are. when I introduce myself with a card, I simply say who I am, if they don't already know, and say here's my card. I would love to talk with you about any writing... (whatever it is you're talking about) and here's my contact info. I'm also involved in ... "  I have a few 'titles' listed on my card. I think it helps to let people know exactly what your services are on that card and that way it helps with networking if they know someone who needs another of your services.  don't worry about not having a business name. just list what you want people to know you can offer them. smile

5. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

If you're looking for somewhere cheap for cards, I recommend vistaprint.com.

If you hunt around, you'll probably find a discount coupon somewhere - but anyway, they usually have some free or $5 cards to choose from. You only pay postage and packing and they look good, especially if you pay a bit extra for the glossy finish.

If you go for the free ones, the vistaprint.com address shows on the back, but if the card is just for personal use I don't think that's a big deal.

1. Dorsi profile image89
      Dorsiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree- Vista Print is great for all kinds of stuff. Good quality too. I had my last cards printed there. I put my name BIG because I want people to remember it when googling.
      Then I put Writer/Publisher/Artist along with my hubpages link and some artwork I did in Illustrator.
      I am going to redesign and next time use the back with info too.

Good rule of thumb- your card is about the least expensive forms of advertising you can do - so think about the main thing you want people to remember. Is it your name? Or the fact that you are writer? (don't be afraid to use that title!) Or is your links?

Just don't make the card too busy. I think on my next cards I'm going to put all my links on the back. Our old sign business had a menu list on the back and it was quite effective.

I would also do some eye catching colors. Visually pleasing. make it something people want to hang onto.

6. gracenotes profile image93
    gracenotesposted 6 years ago

I like VistaPrint.  I've ordered their address labels in the past.

If I'm just experimenting, I wouldn't mind going with a cheaper business card at first.  I've got a pile of business cards from past jobs, and it's amazing the craft ideas I come up with so I can re-use them.  They're never wasted.

By the way, thanks to everyone else who answered this thread.

7. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

I did the same thing. I made special cards to promote my writing. The title I used is related to my primary focus on HP. What do you specialize in with your writing?  Pick a title based on that. Or you can simply use "Creative Writer" as your title.