jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

If a hub is about a company that's outlawed in one country, then what?

1. kschang profile image89
    kschangposted 6 years ago

While it is not my intent to say bad things about fellow hub-ers, I have found many promoting a pyramid scheme disguised as a MLM.

I understand that international jurisdiction is a very tricky thing. However, what is Hubpage's policy on on hubs promoting said suspect scam that is illegal in one country (namely, China, I have links to official news reports), but not (yet) illegal elsewhere?

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can flag the hub and explain your reason for flagging it in the box they have for writing comments.  Someone in the HP staff will read your comments and go from there.

2. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 6 years ago

I'm not a fan of MLMs, and certainly don't like pyramid schemes, but its going to have to be illegal somewhere else other than China for it to be taken seriously as a sinister threat.

kschangposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, but have you ever seen any government, except maybe China's, crack down on suspected fraud within a few months of launch? No. It takes months and YEARS.

1. darkside profile image85
        darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

China also crack down on freedom and do a real crap job of cracking down on knock off, copyright infringement and fake drugs, so I'd not be using them as any kind of measure against the rest of the world.

Oh, yes, I don't disagree with that. However, China also SHOOTS those they do catch for the fake stuff. Several were put to death for that baby milk thing a little while ago (mostly for show, I know).

I know it's not  a "red flag" (no pun intended), but it's a warning sign, nonetheless.

1. Faybe Bay profile image84
            Faybe Bayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Kshang, I see you have three hubs about the same company. You have stuffed so many keywords about that company into your hubs that anyone clicking on an a will be going directly to the company you are suposedly trying to steer them away from.

I personally hate to see keyword stuffing, but in your case it is counter productive and acts as if you are winking at the reader. Like you are trying to sell them something even though you say it is bad. That's like a police officer busting someone for selling drugs and then going home and buying some from another dealer. You are either not reading your own Hubs, or complaining about your own writing, I am not sure which is worse.

If any one read all I've written, and still decides to join that company, nothing else would convince them not to. All I can do is put out a warning, to counter the lot of cheerleading and false info out there.

I don't believe I have stuffed keywords in there on purpose. It just happened that way. You should see some the OTHER hubs about the same company here. They have far less content, filled with bogus reasoning, and spread their hubs among the various categories, and have far more tags and keywords than I do.

I guess I may be too close to the tree to see the forest, but at least I am not trying to push any one to "buy my super secret formula to MLM success", unlike some fellow hub-ers.

I will try to re-read my own hubs with a more objective mind. Thanks for your comment.

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image77
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 6 years ago

It seems that you are right. However, if one feel so he or she can flag it.
    Hubpages authorities have the final say.

4. 0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Just a quick note on MLM companies for those who don't know:  A true MLM and a pyramid scheme are very different things.  I made my living for 20 years as an MLM distributor with a single company that manufactured and sold a key nutritional product I couldn't find anywhere else...and which helped my health immensely until the day finally came when my body said, "Enough of that" (after many years of usage).

No, I'm not in any form of sales these days.  And yes, there's a lot of MLM "hype" out there that doesn't match up with reality any more than does the pitch from your average used car salesman. 

Over the years, I developed my own surefire test for judging the worth of any given MLM:

1.  Ask the question, "What will happen to the very last person who ever becomes a distributor?"

2.  If the answer is, "He/she will get a decent discount on a NEEDED product you just can't find anywhere else," then it's a company worth considering.

3.  If the company is not product driven, then run, do not walk, to the nearest exit....

Thanks, Ghost. That is the sort of objective info and commentary I am seeking. The company I hope to highlight has a product, but also states in its own FAQ that "you don't need to sell anything". Thus, logically, it fails all three of your questions. Yet you can find a dozen different hubs here that all pushes this very alleged opportunity. At least one hub-er even offered the excuse, "they pay, so why do you care?" It is amazing what kind of drivel are out there trying to push this company. It is as if the company is actively encouraging clone websites to drown out any negativity (that's a conjecture).