What is more important, a catchy title or a correct keywords?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ruanz3 profile image59
    ruanz3posted 14 years ago

I heard someone say that if possible your hub title should be the exact keyword that you use as your main keyword, if you want to rank high in search engines. But that doesnt allow for a catchy title which will get you seen easier on a social bookmark site for instance, which could boost your traffic and your search engine ranking as well. So which is more important?

1. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to rank high in search engines it will be the content.

You can have the best URL/Title, but unless you back it up with the quality content you're not going to compete.

2. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

That sounds like something I said in one of my hubs.

If you did mean me I would add that while having an exact match makes it much easier to rank for your keywords, it is not 100% necessary. Next best thing would be to have a Title with your main keywords first and the rest following it.
    "Backup Software Review - The Best and Worst solutions"

At a minimum your Title should have your keywords in there somewhere. The further you stray from an exact match the more SEO work, back-linking, it will take to rank for your keyword phrase.

Everything is a balancing act and having a catchy title does help to get clicks. Personally I use the description part for this role. On search engines and social bookmarking sites the description is what a person is most likely to read in my opinion. I think of the Title as a short, concise summary of what the hub is about.

Another factor would be how competitive your keyword phrase is. If it is real competitive an exact match gives you a better shot. A phrase thats not so competitive would be easier to hit page one without an exact match. But if the phrase is real easy is it worthwhile to even go after? Keyword research is key to deciding this.

ruanz3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea actually i was thinking of you wink What is in your opinion a competitive keyword, and what is not? Would you say a keyword that gets between 5 figure and 6 figure amount of searches a month is competitive? Which is the range that you look at?

1. MyWebs profile image79
        MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To determine competitiveness I mostly look at a combination of the number of competing web sites in Google search and their Google Page Rank.

There may only be a few million competing web sites for "XYZ", but if everything on page one of Google has a PR6 that is still a tough cookie to crack.

On the flip side for a common phrase I've seen 120 million competing that was still easy to hit page one for. There is no exact number that will tell you, it takes a bit of experience to figure out I think.

Ultimately if your goal is drive traffic from Google then you must look closely at what your competing with on page one.  The numbers in the keyword tool are only an estimate and are not always right.

I do see others here doing well without an exact Title match so its definitely not all that matters, but it does help a lot. It is just one of many factors that goes into on page optimization. I do think I was a bit too extreme in my hubs advice trying to make my point and should update it again. I did already add something to this effect recently.

So your page rank has to be higher than those on page one to rank there? What should their PR be if you wana be on the first page? This is all so complicated lol. Is it even worth it to try and figure out SEO? It seems so complicated and ever changing.

No your page rank does NOT have to be higher, although it sure does help. I have outranked PR5's with a PR0. But that is not easy to do. If your PR0 is more relevant than that PR5 you can rank higher. It is not impossible by any means.

Amount of competing web pages and Google PR just gives you a basic idea of the level of competition. It sure doesn't mean you can't get up there and play with the big boys.

Here lately Google has been downplaying PR importance a lot, so do not think PR is all that anymore. It is a good indicator of how important and trust worthy a web site is, at least thats how I look at it.

Yes SEO is a bit complicated, especially since no one knows for sure exactly what Google's current algorithm has in it. Best we can do is make educated guesses, and experiment to see what works.

Getting a lot of free hits every day does make it worth it. You could always spend a small fortune on PPC if you like. I prefer the free way of doing things instead of spending money.

Well thanks for your continuing replies, and its good ot hear that PR is not everything. Gives me some new hope smile Im still pretty far from figuring SEO out the way you have, or thats what it feels like anyway. Also, back linking is also messing with my mind. Do follow links thats worth it seems to be hard to come by.

2. pooja0908 profile image60
      pooja0908posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree your keyword is most important. That should be used in your title and our content.

3. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

They got it wrong. The title should contain your main keyword, but it shouldn't be just that. Example:

Main Keyword(subject) Green Apples

Title: Did you know Green Apples are the best Apples to eat?

Into Text:

Apple, Apple, Apple who hasn't eaten an apple? Apples are great healthy foods for snacks and even in cooking meals. They can be eaten whole or cooked in a pie or a bread. Some are juiced and others flavor stews and soups. No matter what your use, apples are great for vitamins and minerals. As the doctor always says, an apple a day keeps the doctor away! Well the doctor was always right,but green apples are better then the rest and this is why...

Analysis:
    Title Keywords (2) Green Apples, Apples
    Intro Keywords (8) Apple (5) Apples (3) Green Apples (1)

Title Keyword 5.5% Density
    Intro Keyword .10% Density Apples total
    Key Green Apples: .01 Density
    Key Apple: .06
    Key Apples: .05

In total, it is best to keep below a 5% density or the bots will think you are keyword spamming.

Hope this helps a little,

~thranax~

In other words what you wrote above would be keyword spamming? How did you work out the title keyword density?

2. Dale Mazurek profile image63
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is almost a perfect example.  I have been quite succesful using 3 to 7 percent keyword density.

You are totally right.  have the keywords incorporated into a catch title.

Green Apples Are Green Because They Are Not Red

Another thing thats catchy is How To and So many reasons.

How To Grow Green Apples Indoors
      How To Use Green Apples In Pie

10 reasons green apples are better than red
      5 best times to buy green apples
      6 best places to grow green apples

And so forth and so forth

Dale

4. MyWebs profile image79

The Google Knol  mentioned in one of my hubs: http://knol.google.com/k/seo-knol-group# has several "Keyword Density" Tools to use.

I never worry about keyword density. If your really talking about "XYZ" your going to mention it enough naturally so its relevant. I worry more about saying it too many times and appearing spammy than not enough.

Google's Matt Cutts said in a video that mentioning "XYZ" more than about 3 times does not make any difference. I couldn't find the video after scanning 200 video titles.
    Should I tweak my titles and descriptions to improve my CTR- -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYguer_JrM
    Is over-optimization bad for a website? (he speaks on keyword density)-->
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz0KQNPDUoc

I hope this helps a bit. I would suggest watching more of Matts videos as he works for Google and knows what he is talking about.

Just three times? Thats too little isnt it? Thanks for the tools.

Matt basically said something to the effect of:
        You mentioned "XYZ" once. Hey this web page is about "XYZ".
        Oh he mentioned "XYZ twice. We take even more notice. This is really about "XYZ"!
        Wow he mentioned "XYZ" a third time....
        ok we get it, your web page is all about "XYZ". Enough already.

I think the reason I couldn't find it on Google Webmaster Help channel was because it was within one of them 1 hour videos from last years Google I/O conference. He was talking about a furniture web page.

Maybe three time isn't enough, but I sure wouldn't worry about how many times you say it either. If your Title, URL and description all have your keywords plus at least a  few times on your page I think Google gets it by then.. LOL

I tend to think off site factors matter more at this point. Like how many incoming links you have, anchor text used in links, page rank of linking sites than saying "XYZ' 20 times instead of 3 times. Others may disagree though...

Ok i get it.

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

The more important between the two (correct keywords or catchy title) I'd have to say that a catchy title is much more important. Why? Because it's the first thing they see. Why not keywords? Because keywords are tricky. If they are too vague they can bring too much unrelated traffic. That kind of traffic just clicks away real fast and you don't want that happening. One thing that affects ranking is how long people stay on your hub.

Relevant keywords are important. Time spent on web page or hub is also important. You need both. Good keywords and a catchy title gets them to your hub, great content keeps them there,

Yes time spent is a factor and it sure can help a hub to slowly climb up the rankings if people stick around on your page.

"If they are too vague they can bring too much unrelated traffic."

This is why you need good, related, targeted keywords. Very generic keywords sure won't get you the right type of traffic. But are you really ever going to rank for "cars"? You may have a shot at "Blue Chevrolet Impala Las Vegas". The more generic a keyword phrase is the harder it is to rank for. Long tail keyword phrases is what gets you the right traffic and they are more attainable.

I do think a catchy Title is important though and I need to work harder on this aspect to increase my own CTR.

6. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

This is something I was looking for. A really good and useful discussion on how to use title and keywords in your hubs efficiently. Thanks a lot friends. I learned something new today.

7. MyWebs profile image79

While I have a couple of SEO hubs that many have found useful Peter Hoggan has a complete SEO course for hubbers. It begins here:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Free-SEO-Trai … or-Hubbers

8. sagbee profile image56
    sagbeeposted 14 years ago

I guess correct usage of keywords with appropriate title is very important.. rest is known to those who are the experts of SEO.. tongue

9. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

You know - and I could be wrong - but I am thinking that it is not an either/or situation, rather a hotch potch of all things.  I feel that you can have a keyword in the title but also a variation of keywords.  I think it is important to have long tailed keywords as much as anything.  Thinking in terms of what you would put in the search engine when looking for an article like yours.

For example...

Free Online Stories:  The cat sat on the mat

Keywords

free online stories, a short story, free short story, story, the cat, the cat sits, the cat sat, cat sat mat, stories, cta sat on the mat (mis spellings count), writing and publishing, mats and cats,

then it also depends on the competition...

free online stories - clicks £1.23 might have  2300 with 1/4 shade on adwords tool
    online stories free clicks £2.25 might have 2000 with no shading

Out of the two options, online stories free would be better to put in keywords list because it has less competition and more price per click.

Does this make sense and remember I could be wrong!

The better of the two is no shading, but 1/4 is good

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)