Comment Etiquette

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Specialk3749 profile image60
    Specialk3749posted 14 years ago

When you receive a comment on one of your hubs, do you always post back with a comment? Or, just when there is something to post back about.  For example if someone just comments that it is a nice hub, do I need to comment back to them?  Thanks!

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i always try to respond, since they took the time to read my hub. sometimes i get distracted and then forget and then a month later i find their comment when a new comment appears on the hub and i feel bad. you don't have to comment back, but it is the nice thing to do.

1. K Partin profile image60
        K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi cosette, I agree ditto! smile

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i also do this with forum posts wink

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always like to comment back x

1. brianzen profile image59
        brianzenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you do it elegantly, you should write an etiquette hub!

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Normally I comment back to all comments on my hubs.

2. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

It's entirely up to you.  Everyone does it differently.  I sometimes wait on comments like "nice hub" and thank them when I thank a more substantial comment that comes along later.

One consideration.....if you're trying to get your hub noticed, then it wouldn't hurt to respond to each one.  Each comment puts a line on the hubtivity where others may notice it and decide to read it.

3. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 14 years ago

If the commentee had something interesting or witty to say, then yes, you should respond.  If it's just a short compliment, you can wait for a few more short comments and thank all of them at once.

I try and make insightful observations and somewhat lengthier comments on various hub articles.  The hub artist is more likely to respond with more than just a thank you, since you're showing more of your personality.  They're also more likely to check out your own hubs in return, and other hubbers who read your comments may do the same.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

timorous, there is no "should" about it!  Many longer-established Hubbers, like me, only respond to comments if they raise an interesting point which demands a comment.  That's not impolite, it's simply a different attitude.  We don't all react the same way.

To me, there seems little point in responding merely to thank the commenter.  A Hub is not a forum, and the commenter has already left the Hub, probably never to return.  So it's like saying "thanks" to the door after the person has walked out! 

If you want to thank someone for a comment, go and join their fan club or leave a comment on one of THEIR Hubs, that way they'll know you've done it.

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

I try hard not to comment on comments. I feel like I had my say in the Hub, and the comments are for the opinions of the people that read it.

Sometimes I can't help myself.

1. K Partin profile image60
      K Partinposted 14 years ago

I always comment on a comment. If they take the time to read and comment on my hub, it's the least I can do is thank them. And also answer anything they may ask.

2. MyWebs profile image78
      MyWebsposted 14 years ago

I think responding to comments is the polite thing to do. I try to immediately respond back so I don't forget.

I've noticed one of the top hubbers here makes a point to respond to every single comment left. This persons hub always have high scores and often rank well for "hotness", traffic. It seems hubtivity, comments, is kind of important.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I answer and go across and return the favour because after all this is a get notice setup and it benefits both them and Hubpages generally the more attention is being generated.

I have never yet gone over and not wanted to fan and leave comment anyone who has been either simply polite or genuinely encouraging.

Thank you for following my work and I look forward to seeing your comments in my box

3. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I always reply when possible..mainly because I am shocked anyone likes my writing!! big_smile  So I like to thank them for any nice comments they leave. big_smile

Stormy....

1. timorous profile image81
        timorousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stormy...you underestimate your worthiness.  Your presence on Hubpages makes it that much better than it would otherwise be.  Keep it goin'.

4. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I try to comment back individually for every comment I get. I haven't done this on the latest ones just because I have been going through things. When I read a HUb from someone I always comment even if it is just saying thank you.

1. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 14 years ago

If someone says 'nice hub' I double check to see if they're just doing it for a live link to the profile (I check their hubtivity to see if they've been making 'nice hub' comments on other peoples hubs).

If it's a simple compliment I won't respond. If the person says something that requires an answer or adds something to the conversation then I'll comment.

2. profile image61
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I try to answer all comments!  All are appreciated, no matter how abbreviated!

3. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I take it on a comment-by-comment basis, although most often I probably do respond.  Sometimes a comment will really seem to call for a response.  I have some Hubs on things like grief and loss, and comments on those often go beyond just comments on writing and get pretty personal.  It's only appropriate to respond. 

If people take the time to say something really nice to me about my writing I'll always respond because it's really nice of them to bother.  If someone takes issue with something I've said, I'll usually respond because I may want to clarify or further debate.

If a comment in a few lines that contribute someone else's thought on the Hub, I'll usually respond - again, because they took the time or else offered something to the subject. Sometimes, though, I think it's only polite to let the commenting person have the last word.   If there's a comment that doesn't seem to call for a response I may or may not leave it, depending on whether I'm already responding to other comments - and if I am I'll throw in a "thanks" to someone who wrote a one-liner or "good Hub".  It seems kind of cluttery to add a "thank you" to every "good Hub" without having more than that in the comment section.

In other words, for me, every comment brings on a mini-decision (or even mini-dilemma with regard to what's proper etiquette).  I do know that when I'm the one commenting sometimes I'm kind of waiting to see if the person follows up, and sometimes just assume there won't be (and doesn't need to be) any response.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

as others have said, it depends on the type of comment and time. I don't know about you, but I'm not always online. I try to comment to those that add more than a nice hub comment. actually, I like to see more comments in that section than the authors after every comment. I also like to see posters comment on others comments. but I do appreciate anyone who has come to my hub and really reads it and leaves a thoughtful comment. it's very much appreciated.  smile

5. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years ago

I always reply to comments on my hubs. It is called respect. Unless it is spam.

6. profile image0
        pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

i alway comment back even if just to say thank you

7. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

I have no choice but to comment on comments - I'm from the South, and it's genetic. We send thank-you notes for gifts, then the recipient sends a thank-you note for the thank-you note. Then you have to send a thank-you note for the thank-you thank-you note. This can go on for years.

1. profile image0
          pinkyleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lmao habee you are so very right there! im from the south too and have been known to do this lol

2. Specialk3749 profile image60
          Specialk3749posted 14 years agoin reply to this

habee - that's hilarious!

8. digitalexplorer profile image60
        digitalexplorerposted 14 years ago

Im new hubby here, and it is disappointing to found out that my comment was deleted or disapproved by the author in one of the hubs! My comment was posted not as a member but my name is link to my blogsite. So, it is a legitimate comment. For curiosity sake, I visited again the hub and my comment was not there.

So, I decided to open an account just to prove to the author that I existed. Maybe the author was not happy to found out that I would like to verify the authenticity of the set of photos included in the hub - either they were taken by the author or extracted from the internet which need to be acknowledged.

Why people cant accept criticisms about their hubs?

1. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If a person doesn't accept a comment because there's a link to your blog that's their right. You'll just have to learn to accept it.

And an image does not have to be credited. While it should only be used with permission I don't credit my own photos or those of other people who have given me permission but don't require acknowledgment.

Thank you for your loyal following! (coming soon to a fan mail near you)

2. digitalexplorer profile image60
            digitalexplorerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply and I do understand what you are saying. But in terms of posting comments, why you should only members of the sites should be approved? The reason why I link my post is not get traffic towards my blogsite but to tell the author that Im a legitimate reader. On the other hand, I still believe that if you use someone images require acknowledgment especially with good quality shots!  The efforts and being there in that particular events, locations and time are the main reason why I want to acknowledge the owners of the images.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually (and not very proud to admit it) one of those people who doesn't accept comments with links with them (unless the link is to something like an expert site with information related to the Hub).

On the one hand, I feel like a big crumb for not accepting them.  On the other, I think, "I don't go putting my links on other people's Hubs."  Even when they put a legitimate comment (that I may want to respond to or that would be an addition to the Hub), it just goes against my grain; because I think, "They didn't really want to comment.  They just thought something up so they could add their own link."  I guess I feel like their comment is phony or "doesn't count" (or something).

I know that a comment is a comment, and that all comments generally add to a Hub; and I know it isn't a big deal at all - and yet, when someone posts their link it just irks me.   lol  I guess it's just an "emotional issue" for me.  lol   You know, I'm a pretty reserved/"shy-ish" person who tries to be so careful about "being polite" it can hinder me with some online/writing efforts.   If I analyze myself I realize that I feel like I fore-go some "opportunities"/"advantages" because I think "trying to be polite" is so important.  I guess I just think people should try to be "equally polite" to me; and when they do something like comment, "Good Hub - here's mine." I think, "Hey, keep your link off my Hub!"   lol  (Besides, much of the time links are out-and-out spam.)

Again, every time I hit "deny" I really feel like a giant crumb; but between not wanting to worry about what's spam and what isn't, and being irked, I just established my "policy".   hmm

1. digitalexplorer profile image60
            digitalexplorerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a fair game really... and be polite and honest!

9. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

I try to comment back when I get a chance, even if it's just one long comment going down the list and responding to people...sometimes I just don't get the chance to, though. And I hope the readers understand!! smile

10. Dolores Monet profile image93
        Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I always comment back, it seems polite. Also, I wind up reading some interesting hubs and checking out other hubbers that way. However, I do not accept or reply to idiotic comments that have nothing to do with the hub like the one I got last week on a gardening hub where the commenter started talking about dress shoes.

11. Dale Mazurek profile image63
        Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

I am terrible and I know it.

I get so busy online that sometimes I dont comment back.  If it is just a basic comment saying great hub or anything I usually dont comment back.  For all others I do try and comment.

I really dont mean to be rude.  Its just that no one has figured a 40 hour day yet.

I do try and do better but sometimes it just seems to be a whirlwind.  Especially on days where I get a ton of comments.

Dale

12. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

Dale, I admit that sometimes it's really time consuming to reply to all the comments. But I also find it very enjoyable! I'm retired, however, so it's easier for me than it is for someone who works. You're not terrible!

13. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Some of my hubs have hilarious conversations in the comments section. Others kinda get blown off. No big deal.

I always acknowledge my comments, but I don't think twice if other hubbers don't respond when I leave one. People are busy! lol If a comment I leave is approved, I take that as an acknowledgement and leave it at that.

habee, you are just a sweetheart through and through. smile

14. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

Awww...thanks Jen!!

15. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Perhaps its a side effect of having my own sites, where more often than not a comment is just an attempt for a backlink, not only dont I respond back for a "nice hub" comment..i delete it.

There are exceptions, many visible hubpage users that comment on alot of my new writings  they can say whatever they want and will always be published..I will respond or comment in one of their hubs.

Im nearing 1000 comments across my hubs and I certainly cant say that 500 of them are me thanking someone for commenting. I have probably deleted an equal amount of comments that were spam or simply not worth sharing with my readers.

I tend to hope that the comments are an extension of the content, i hope to see related concerns, personal experiences and disagreements/request for better details...I want to be removed as the writer and have the topic be the point of the conversation.

some personal hubs and topics are exempt...but a little thank you for each comment? I cant imagine that provides a good user experience to readers who are looking for information.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do agree with this. I would rather see a continuation of the hub content in the comments. to say thank you for a thanks, great hub... I don't think it's really necessary each and every time. as marissa said, those posters aren't going to return to see if we responded. (some may not have even read the hub!) I think most of us spend quality time on writing and constructing our hubs. I appreciate everyone who reads it, if they want to leave a comment, great, if not, that's fine too, just rate it up on the way out or share it! big_smile  that is what I do when I visit hubs. I share them, bookmark them, rate them up and may leave a comment, but not each time. I do try to acknowledge my regulars who comment often!

2. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like your rationale/approach.  I agree that a zillion, little, individual, come-back "thank you's" just seems to detract from the substance of the Hub and other comments.  Once in a while if someone puts a really stupid comment (often a one-word type of thing) I'll approve it just to paint an accurate picture of the collection of comments.

16. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years ago

there was a lively debate on this at the

anti-good hub thread

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/32107  lol

Thank you for joining my fanclub (in case I forget later)

17. whiteorchids profile image60
        whiteorchidsposted 14 years ago

I always comment it is proper etiquette.

Well that's the point I was making, whiteorchids - you may regard it as proper etiquette, but there is no rule. Look at Sunforged, one of our most helpful and knowledgeable Hubbers - he and I treat comments the same way.  And I know Relache is the same. 

That doesn't make us rude, it's a different choice.  We don't regard HubPages as a social networking site (because it isn't, by the way).

18. profile image0
        Lecieposted 14 years ago

i started out only commenting on what needs a comment. yesterday in one of my forum topics many people here posted that they didn't like it when i didn't comment back. they also told me to add more to my profile so they would know if they could relate to me. i did that but i'm still working on responding to all of those comments. lol
        have fun and be creative
        lecie

19. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Every comment helps a little with SEO. It is an update in Google's robot eyes. If you comment you get the backlink. Even internal links help a little.

20. Lynda Gary profile image61
        Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

This comment has to do with not accepting a comment:

Today, for the first time ever, I rejected a comment - something I never anticipated doing.

The commenter started his comment with something like, "Good, except you need to add a poll and you need to clean up your grammar.  Fix that, and this will be really good..."  Then he went on to add some interesting, topic-specific comments directed at the previous comment.

First, I searched for grammatical errors. There were none.  I DID find two typos (I'd left out a period after a link, and I spelled whichever as which ever.)  For a 3000 word hub, and though I'd prefer NO mistakes, that's not bad without a professional editor, right?

Then I sent a note to the person asking if he'd repost without the opening paragraph, and that he might consider doing that in private email next time.

It's not that I can't accept criticism.  Argue with my contents all you want.  But, as a writer, perhaps I AM a little too sensitive when it's my actual writing that is being publicly criticized.  Send me a private note.  I'll gladly consider those type of comments that way.

Lynda, I've made constructive comments on a Hub when I've felt it needed improvement, especially if it's a new Hubber.  But I always finish up with "since this is advice rather than a comment, please feel free to delete after reading". 

After all, if the Hubber acts on the advice, the comment becomes irrelevant.

The thing is, if I send you a private message, I reveal my email address to you.  I'd prefer not to do that if I don't know the hubber.

1. timorous profile image81
            timorousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is my understanding that an e-mail sent to a particular hubber will have a hubpages address and not your e-mail address you use to sign in with.  The recipient does not see your e-mail address, and vice versa if they reply. 

I could be wrong, though.

1. thisisoli profile image69
              thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you send a message through hubpages contacts it goes from a Hubpages address, but it INCLUDES the senders email address in the email itself.

2. Lynda Gary profile image61
            Lynda Garyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa,
            Your method of providing critical comment is totally acceptable, so far as I'm concerned.  Quick and convenient and no need to decipher the captcha.  But what makes your method "okay" is your closing comment, to please feel free to delete.

One other thing: Timorous' understanding aside, I always see the message that "your email address will be revealed..." whenever I email someone.  Like MyWebs, I don't care.  But many people do, so you've found a good way around that (unless, of course, the hubber hasn't activated the moderating option).

2. MyWebs profile image78
          MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lynda - I always feel funny about posting anything negative in a persons comments. I feel like I'm coming into your house and being critical when I'm your guest. And I know I really wouldn't want the world to see someone pointing out my typos or grammar mistakes.

So I send them a site email. I could care less if most users have my email. If they abuse it I will just label their emails as spam a few times and then Gmail will take care of it after that.

There is no need for them to respond back to me unless they wish to thank me or whatever...

Well, if people are doing the sensible thing and moderating their comments before they appear, the public won't ever see a critical comment.

1. MyWebs profile image78
              MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes this is true and I moderate all of my hubs having experienced before coming here how much of a pita spammers can be. But I see many authors I leave comments for on here who don't. Probably 9 out of 10 don't of those I follow.

21. pddm67 profile image61
        pddm67posted 14 years ago

I will always reply to a comment left on my hub. It may take me a while since I don't get to spend as much time on HP as I'd like to, but I will reply smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)