jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

eBay to closes India affiliate program on April 1st

1. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 7 years ago

After a year of running a country-specific, geo-targeted program for India, eBay has decided it's not worthwhile and they are shutting it down.

They don't have anything up on their blog yet, so be sure to check your email if you've been using this sub-program.

1. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I am not sure I understand this fully. Does this mean that they will be shutting down eBay.in - it seems to be doing fine.

Or perhaps they will just shut down their India-targeted program?

2. thisisoli profile image58
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

They are just shutting down the Indian part of the eBay partener network.

If you use eBay partner network to prote ebay.com however you should be unaffected by this, even if you live in India smile

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 7 years ago

If you are using geo-targeted campaigns as part of your webpages, those will no longer work come April 1st and should be updated to incorporate material and point to eBay.com.

4. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 7 years ago

OK. Thank you for the heads up and clarification.

5. thisisoli profile image58

Geo targetting will still work in other countries, but if a geotargetting ad picks up an indian visitor it will forward them to ebay.com not ebay.in.  If say a UK visitor visits a site with geotargetting it will still send them to ebay.co.uk, canadian user to the canadian ebay and so on.

1. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 7 years ago in reply to this

So if Indian visitors are not guided to eBay.in, does this mean they will close the website?

1. darkside profile image80
        darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They don't need affiliates to advertise and promote the site, they'll get plenty of type ins as well as advertising on Google Adwords.

Perhaps the problem was click fraud which made running the program so problematic.

6. thisisoli profile image58

I don't know if Hubpages will shut down the website ebay.in, all they have told us so far is that the affiliate program for ebay.in will no longer work.

If it makes you feel any better though all your hubages adverts are for Ebay.com, so it should not affect earnings from here smile

7. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 7 years ago

Darkside and thisisoli,

Thank you for the explanation. I guess I understand the issue now.

working