jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

why is ebay so rigid?

1. chigoiyke profile image61
    chigoiykeposted 6 years ago

they have refused giving me an account and have made me to blacklist them. Everything I do now on shopping and whatever is amazon. I just think its not good to be that strict if you reallly wanna do business and you see amazon I guess has probably taken over them. ha

1. srwnson profile image61
      srwnsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When I started on ebay in 2002, they were less strict. The buisness has grown worldwide. Unless you have sold on ebay and didn't pay their fee, I don't see any reason they wouldn't allow you to do buisness.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

They're strict because they can afford to be - every day, they get applications from would-be internet marketers, so they can afford to set the bar high.

It's like when you apply for a job - if there's only a handful of applicants, they'll all get an interview.  If there are hundreds of applicants, the company can afford to be fussy.

chigoiykeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I disagree with you on that one marisa. I think the more you grow, the more you develop yourself. if really they are strict because they have grown, then it means they have not yet grown. Amazon is still worldwide, clickbank is still worldwide and they are doing good with both customers and marketers. I prefer those two now to ebay. And am loving amazon. Companies should learn to carry everybody along when moving and that's what ebay is lacking

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ah, now I understand the subtext to your post.  You're complaining because of the closure of some markets (e.g. India).  I agree that's a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" mentality and it's a shame they've decided to go that way. 

I thought you were referring to the fact they won't accept applications from Hubbers, which is a different story.  While it's tough for us, I still think that's a sensible approach for eBay to take. What they are doing is insisting on a higher qualification to become an affiliate now - it's like saying that because of the glut of applicants, they're asking for a degree instead of just a diploma.

2. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

I think when they went to paying for clicks they got a lot stricter, because they fear fraud more. They also are very particular about the type of traffic they want driven by affiliates to their site.

chigoiykeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

very particular and I think that is not a good look at all.

3. 61
    foreignpressposted 6 years ago

As eBay grew so did the fraud -- and the lawsuits. Large corporations like Burberry sued eBay because it was allowing black market copies sold on its site. But how was eBay to know? Fraud became so rampant, that eBay started spending too much time as a buyer-seller mediator. That's hardly profitable. Other issues cropped up like merchandise not received, payment not received, scams, bait & switch schemes. The list is endless. So eBay decided to stop being a babysitter and change its format to something more professional. To put it another way: It wanted serious buyers and sellers and not the flea market variety. I'm out of eBay because I can't meet their new dictates.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The burberry case was against an ebay affiliate not ebay.

4. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize that it was affecting sellers as well as affiliates.

1. 61
      foreignpressposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it certainly has. Occasional sellers pay a very hefty fee to list UNLESS they can open a store. This usually involves posting about 250 items per month. I can't meet that quota. I find Craigslist (and the local buyers) more profitable.