jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

2012 and the Mayan calendar

1. srwnson profile image59
    srwnsonposted 7 years ago

As you know, the Mayan long count calender is running down to a new cycle for mankind in 2012. The planets will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way. Do you think the end is close? No?  Why?

2. KeithTax profile image80
    KeithTaxposted 7 years ago

The sun and the planets are not aligned with the galactic center in 2012. The sun will appear to set over the galactic center only. It is an illusion only.

srwnsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Your right of course according to Astrobiologist at Nasa This won't happen.

I was referring to the Mayan legend of the solstice point of the sun aligned with the galactic center. Sorry

3. Ohma profile image79
    Ohmaposted 7 years ago

I think that the Mayan calender is a lot like the Bible and the Constitution. since no one alive today was there at its conception the best we can do is guess as to what it means. I am not a great debater like many others here but the truth is that it is all just a guessing game.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image86
      Mikel G Robertsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And that I believe is the truest truth I have heard on HP. (and I don't mean about your debating skills)

There is no proof, so it comes down to the best logical guesses, supported by circumstancial evidence, gut-feelings and intuition.

1. Ohma profile image79
        Ohmaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thank-you Mikel I am a lot of things and realist is at the top of the list, but it is nice to have someone agree with you once in a while.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image86
          Mikel G Robertsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

smile

4. IntimatEvolution profile image82
    IntimatEvolutionposted 7 years ago

Not this again. 

My, my, we must be out of things to talk about.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

Here's a great resource from the National Geographic Society that clearly explains why 2012 is nothing to worry about. Nat Geo specifically explains the Mayan Calendar.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … myths.html

srwnsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's great Nelle, thanks for the link.

6. srwnson profile image59
    srwnsonposted 7 years ago

A friend of mine was discussing this issue at a party last night with my wife...I hadn't researched it so your link worked out just fine.

7. moondive profile image60
    moondiveposted 7 years ago

I just make hub about it:)

8. figment profile image73
    figmentposted 7 years ago

I think the mayans know what that were talking about, unfortunately all but 4 of their books were destroyed.  I think we are coming close to another mass extinction.  And they were aware of this.  We are just too arrogant to think it can happen to us.

working