jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

A question about quotes being used with keywords/tags?

1. mailxpress profile image72
    mailxpressposted 7 years ago

Hello,
    Has anyone ever heard of this.  I read an article I found at Redgage which tells people to do a search with quotes around their search.  Let me give you an example.

I go to google.com to do this search without quotes:  earn money online and these were the results:  152,000,000 for earn money online.

Then I did a search for the same phrase with quotes:  "earn money online" and these were the results:  1,750,000

I have a few websites I created and today I took the time to add the quotes to each individual keyword.  I chose two websites I have created and I have a free hit counter on both of them.  I will keep track of the results and if it works to getting indexed higher to search engines I will let all of you know.

Has anyone practiced this method?  And if so do you feel it has made a difference?

I'm very curious if this is true.

mailxpress

2. thisisoli profile image58
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

I think you are misunderstanding the use of quotes in search engines.

Using quotes around a phrase in Google means that it will search for the exact phrase, where as normally it will do a much broader search, for example,

a search for

PC Games

could bring up a site which has the following text

My prefered games platform has always been the PC.

However "PC Games" would only bring up text such as

I prefer PC games to consoles.

Putting quotes around the text in your hubs will not give you any SEO benefit, and may put off your readers!

1. mailxpress profile image72
      mailxpressposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi,
      Oh man, I thought maybe they meant it would help me get my URLs indexed higher than others.  I understand.
      Do you know if it would hurt my URLs being indexed?  I'll leave the quotes in the keywords to the two website keywords I tweaked.  Either way I'll let you know if I see an increase with traffic.  Thank you
      mailxpress

3. sunforged profile image74
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

lol, broad vs exact search

Google cheat sheet = http://www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html

1. thisisoli profile image58
      thisisoliposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's a pretty useful link actually!

2. mailxpress profile image72
      mailxpressposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi,
      I'm checking the link out now.  Thanks. 
      mailxpress

4. thisisoli profile image58
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

It might not hurt your rankings necessarily, but it won't give them any SEO benefit.

working