When Hubbers Spam

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image70
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I don't know if they realize they are doing it or not (I'm sure some don't realize they are spamming), but I'm particularly annoyed when a hubber sends out self-promotional messages and comments.  I consider these spam.

I still allow people to send me an email through hubpages, but might consider changing this if I continue getting these self-promotional emails to check out someone's hub because I "might find it interesting."

Trust me: if I find it interesting, I will find it myself and read it.  If I like what you write, I'll become your fan.  But please, don't send these kinds of messages to a bunch of hubbers through their email!

I know I'm being vague in this post...but those of you who do it know who you are.  And those of you who receive these emails might agree with me, and might not.  But if any of the "doers" read this comment, maybe they will think twice before sending me these kinds of messages.

2. charlemont profile image74
    charlemontposted 16 years ago

Haven't received such messages yet - guess I'm too young here smile
    Probably some people consider this way to be the easiest to attract visitors and make them click on ads.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 16 years ago

Yeah, there's been a spate of self-promoting Hubbers lately.

The one I found especially spammy was the guy trying to get people to repost their Hub content on some other site for pay.

Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I got that one too, and thought it was super annoying.

4. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

That's actually a violation of our Terms of Use, so please let us know.

The one that asked you to post on his site for FREE has been banned - he sent an invite for an invite to me, as well. hmm

Cool.  I'll stop deleting so quickly, and let you know next time.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I just forwarded a copy of the repost Hub content for pay to you, Jason.

5. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

I got it too.  Jason got to him before I did, but consider him DOUBLY BANNED, if such a thing were possible.

6. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years ago

Thanks 'Team'! 

I actually turned off the ability to receive emails... as I do not like being spamed in this way.   Bad use of a good feature.

Thank you,
    Kathryn

7. profile image0
    Cheapsideposted 16 years ago

Thanks Stacie for a great observation. I'm not experienced enough yet to get these, but would find them annoying also.

8. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

I like DJ Funk.  I think he's the only Hubber I've received more than four emails from in the last six months.. big_smile big_smile big_smile

9. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

Thanks gamergirl.
    I actually told people today that this was my last email too. 
    Oh well.  Stacie wants to bitch about it.  That's her prerogative.  But how much cooler would it have been if she just wrote me an email directly? 

I'm a spammer. Stacie wants to know so now you know.  Thought provoking?
    Peace,
    DJ Funktual

Did I ever say it was DJ Funktual?  No.  I didn't.  However, he does send unnecessary emails promoting himself.

A definition of spam: an inappropriate attempt to use email, or another networked communications facility by sending the same message to numerous people who didn't ask for it

I definitely used the plural tense here because this is happening from more than one hubber.  And, unless DJ Funktual is also JavaMan, the one who got banned and was the only "spammer" mentioned in this thread until Charlotte brought up DJ Funktual, I don't understand why he is getting all defensive.

Again, you are the fan of these people, not necessarily the other way around - which means your emails were unsolicited and self-promoting.  I've already dealt with your outbursts and don't feel I should have to personally send you a message whenever you send me a message or comment I don't enjoy or appreciate receiving.  I don't want to email you directly because spammers only get the delete button in my world.  Should I send a reply to every single person who sends unsolicited messages my way?

No.

I noticed more of these kinds of emails from hubberS than usual, so I ranted about it this morning.  Jason pointed out it is a violation of HP's Terms of Use, so now I know to report these people.  Simple as that.

10. DJ Funktual profile image75

Feel better? To the eight of you who wrote me saying that you liked my email updates and I shouldn't be bothered by these people, Thank You.  Your identities are safe with me. 

To the one from hubpages who wrote me, >>> People who want updates on your hubs will join your fanclub, which will automatically send them email updates when you publish something new.  For all others, you've got to assume they don't want to hear from you... though I can't imagine why wink >>>   You are sweet as can be.  Thanks.

But I WILL NOT be sending you anymore updates.  The 'spamming' I have been doing is illegal and will not be tolerated by the whistle-blowers. 

Thanks for the tactful lesson learned.

Stacie we look forward to you reporting all the great hubbers you see fit to pass judgment on.

11. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 16 years ago

DJ Funktual, Unsolicited Bulk Email = Spam.

It's as simple as that.

Learn the lesson and move on.

1. DJ Funktual profile image75
      DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to dark side.  Your reply is the only reason I even became aware it would annoy anyone.  My Inbox is full all day from this place.

12. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

A quick question...is it spamming too when a comment on my hub goes like this:
        Great hub! You should read the one I put together on this subject ?????
    I find that totally annoying, so much so that I at times even want to deny the comment. Is that acceptable? zs

I think every hubber has their own opinion on this.  It has been talked about in the forums at times.  As the author, you get to make that decision.

If it is something like: "Nice hub.  Check out mine: blah blah."  I deny it.  There is someone who constantly leaves me comments that say something like: "Good job.  Please read my hubs."  I consider that spam, and HubPages knows when people leave these kinds of comments all over the place.

If it is: "This is so interesting.  I love to crochet.  I have a great pattern for socks at my hub blah blah, you might want to check it out."

I will allow it because it is directly related to the topic of my hub, and the comment goes beyond "nice hub."

1. DJ Funktual profile image75
        DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thank You!

13. DJ Funktual profile image75

Yes great question.  Sometimes I have a related HUB.  Is it wrong for me to leave links in your comments.

14. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

Thanks Stacy! That clears it up. zs

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)