jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

could anyone take a look at my hub on maternity leave etc...

1. salt profile image64
    saltposted 7 years ago

its a bit sarconic... but it does have some substance to it, or so I think....

2. salt profile image64
    saltposted 7 years ago
  3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Hi Salt, I think it could do with some thorough editing.  There's some good discussion in there but it's a bit stream-of-consciousness right now, and a bit hard to follow.

Especially remembering that most of your audience is going to be Americans,and you're describing a way of life that's quite different to theirs. 

I think the biggest problem is your first paragraph - I had to read it three times before I worked out whether you were the worn-out one or she was.

4. salt profile image64
    saltposted 7 years ago

thankyou, i agree, but I decided to keep it australian, the comments for editing are fantastic and I will work on them.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I know what you mean.  I was once asked to write a Hub about work legislation and I decided not to, because I could write about the Aussie rules easily, but there was too much risk that I'd get the American side of it all wrong, even if I did my research.

1. blondepoet profile image79
        blondepoetposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have become a little American in some of my words. When using the spell check on my hub a lot of my words even though spelled correctly in Australia come up as wrong lol.
        For example colour - color
                    realise - realize
                    honour - honor.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
          mistyhorizon2003posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have this problem too, so often my spellings may be American if I simply accept the spellcheck choice as opposed to ignoring it, although I don't always do this, (just to confuse people LOL).

1. blondepoet profile image79
            blondepoetposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Same here Misty I go with the flow smile smile

2. salt profile image64
            saltposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I like sticking with the australian - as thats my lingo. I suppose I drift between the 2, but when I am consciously choosing, I choose the australian version, partly because I am australian.

2. salt profile image64
        saltposted 7 years ago in reply to this

industrial legislation changes so much between states too, as I studied in WA and the legislation in Vic is different due to passing rights to federal in early 90s, newsouth wales is different again as is queensland... and south australia, looks like its different again.

5. shazwellyn profile image84
    shazwellynposted 7 years ago

You might find it helpful to add some more breaks in the paragraphs or a few more pictures - make it easier on the eye.

Also... at tip:  Want the copyright symbol?  If you go to one of my hubs, scroll to the bottom - copy and paste it.  (thanks to ryankett for original source)smile

working