jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

Does anyone know why yawns are contagious?

1. Sunshiney31 profile image78
    Sunshiney31posted 6 years ago

Me and my girls are sitting around passing our yawns to eachother and we are just curious? I don't want to look it up on the vast explanations the web offers. I want to hear your knowledge!

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The power of suggestion is vewwwy forceful.

I really don't know, but this is an interesting topic!

1. IntimatEvolution profile image82
        IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aqua, I think you've nailed it though.  It is the power of suggestion.

A yawn indicates the need for more o2.  The subconsciousness suggestion then is that, you or I might be needing more o2 also.  Therefore, we yawn in response.

1. 0
          Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wait.  I'm not Aqua.

But I am yawning.
          What's UP with this thread??  haha

1. blondepoet profile image79
            blondepoetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lol me too Brenda am ready for a cat-nap. smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image88
      Mikel G Robertsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your thread just made me yawn... hmm  contagious even if you just think about someone yawning... hmmhmm

Talk about the power of suggestion...

1. blondepoet profile image79
        blondepoetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...yawn..what did you say Mikel. smile

1. drej2522 profile image87
          drej2522posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Dammit..I did the same damn thing!

2. goldenpath profile image82
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

Pure instinct of the species.  Once upon a time a great Neanderthal named Sabertooth Jones saw his child, Little Tadpole, crying from a piece of walrus meat stuck in his tooth.  Jones took him to the Neanderthal Dentist, Dr. Tyranasaurus Humphrey, who told Little Tadpole to sit in his chair which also served as a table for cleaning pre-historic swamp rats.  The doctor could not find the cause of all the pain and, therefore, decided to try a proper diet.  Humphrey, then presented Tadpole with a monstrous ancient chocolate bar.  After that, Humphrey's mouth remained in such position ready for that chocolate.  The family, too, were introduced with the chocolate bar and were equally enthused at it's wonderful taste.  It also served to tune their killer insticts when on the hunt for indigenous amphibian whales.  So the family started the mutation of mankind's great trek into yawning, the secret gene that has it's beginnings into the great delight in chocolate.  The End!  smile

3. SeenButNotHeard profile image61
    SeenButNotHeardposted 6 years ago

It's a psychological thing, I think, but I like goldenpath's story better big_smile

4. Onusonus profile image86
    Onusonusposted 6 years ago

It's a medical fact that when you suck in an overextended ammount of air, it creates a vacuum in the room causing the normal atmospheric pressure to be reduced, therefore upsetting the natural balance of the nearest victim's diaphram. Thus causing the need for more oxygen to fill the space that the body is used to.
    Further, if enough people yawned at the same time in a small enough space, everyones internal organs would spew out of their mouths and they would all die.
    Can I get the nurse to confirm this?big_smile

5. 0
    blatvaposted 6 years ago

Power of Empathy, is more like it.  I've always thought it was an empathetic response...

6. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

I have discovered it is nothing more than spooks jumping from one person to the other looking for a place to hatch another spook.

7. mikelong profile image84
    mikelongposted 6 years ago

I got my cat to yawn....

1. 0
      ralwusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

funny that. it is a threat display to them. LOL

8. mikelong profile image84
    mikelongposted 6 years ago

He knows I pose no threat...his yawns (now I'm yawning) have spawned yawns of my own as well..