jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

What is the purpose of the summary and where is it??

1. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

I am new and have one hub and one unpublished. I am confused about the summary. I did not know about the summary so did not use it on my first hub. On the second hub, my summary disappeared after  I wrote it. Is the summary what goes on the webpage and  indexed by google or is the summaary supposed to be on my hub? Why would it disappear? How can I get it back? I do not find a summary capsule. Thank you.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When your hub gets searched or shows up even on HubPage "Hubs" screens and stuff, there's a brief piece of text that shows under the title.  That's the summary text.  It is calculated automatically unless you uncheck the auto-calculate option of it yourself.

To get it back, go to EDIT on your hub.  You will notice at the top three "file" tabs.  The second one is Summary Text.  Click that.  You can uncheck the auto summary thing and write your own.  Mine sometimes go something like a little mini-review, i.e.:  "This article covers the basic components of how to build a model airplane, using illustrations, academic sources, and a dash of humor."

And sometimes it doesn't take the first time when I write a new hub and I have to go back in, hit edit after publishing, and then re-save.  Maybe a glitch, or maybe just something I'm missing.

Hope this helps.

2. MyWebs profile image85
    MyWebsposted 6 years ago

I have a hub that explains in detail how search engines use the summary text that you may wish to read if you care about the SEO aspects. Includes screenshots too. "Effective Keyword Usage On HubPages"

1. Falsor Wing profile image86
      Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Its quite helpful