jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Seeing as how censorship seems to be a hot topic...

1. Falsor Wing profile image83
    Falsor Wingposted 7 years ago

I understand that hubs are supposed to be professional (not complaining) but would that preclude me from ever being able to say shit or even occasionally dropping an F-bomb without the earth splitting open and swallowing my hubs? One of the things I write is comedy, stand up comedy, I can censor it but it kind of kills it.

1. flread45 profile image82
      flread45posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't think Hubpages needs to let filthy words as you are wanting to say or write about enter into a Good place to write topics.
      Writing with cuss words would only drive many people away from Hubpages.

2. Shadesbreath profile image88
      Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You can swear if it is artistic or at least entertaining in a quality piece, serving some purpose beyond showing that you have learned a new word that makes people's moms gasp.  At least that's been my experience.

2. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

As long as your Hub follows the rules as laid out in the FAQ/Terms of Service and any rules regarding content as presented by Adsense, Amazon, eBay and others, you'll be fine. smile

Falsor Wingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was more worried about turning off potential readers. Practical no-nos rather than bannable offenses.

Is bannable a real word?

3. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

Well, then you only have to consider your target audience.  If your target audience is not put off by the occasional f-bomb or whatever else, then go for it!

4. Falsor Wing profile image83
    Falsor Wingposted 7 years ago

Ah nothing like a reasonable person stating the obvious to help me deal with my out-of-comfort-zone panicking.

Why is there a K in panicking, paicing seems like it would have worked just fine?

1. The10DollarMark profile image60
      The10DollarMarkposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There is a k in panicking, because panicing technically would be pronounced panissing, because (technically) a e or i after c creates a soft (ss) c. Is that rule always applied? No, because the English language hasn't been reformed to have enough applicable rules.

And yeah, think about what kind of people would read your hub, and whether or not they'd mind some coarse language. For example coarse language in a toy hub is a bad idea because parents may want to call their children to look at your writing in order to get their opinions, but then won't because they don't want them reading it.

But if it's something like a political hub, which are usually frequented by adults, then a little bit of coarse language shouldn't be a turn off for that many people.

Wow, you are very informative. You remind me of those ask Jeeves commercials. many thanks.

2. Sab Oh profile image61
      Sab Ohposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

Oh? You've piqued my interest.

working