What's the trick to receiving comments?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

I only ever receive a handful across my entire account. Granted it's nice I'm not dealing with spam or off site crappy comments but wonder if there is some trick to it.

I have traffic, I have some adsense click through rate, but few comments. More for my own vanity than anything, what type of articles tend to attract comments? I doubt I'll actually follow through as I'm after money more than comments but still I wonder.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about demons and ghosts. It gets a lot of comments from hubbers AND from people who found me through search engines asking me for help. lol

Other hubs I notice that get a lot of comments are humorous hubs or hubs that are about a controversial topic.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't get a lot of comments either, Ramius. 

Most comments come from other Hubbers anyway.  The only place I see a lot of comments from outsiders is "agony aunt" style Hubs, for want of a better word. Check out Veronica's Hubs, she has whole sagas going on.  I had a few of my own Hubs like that, and had lots of outside comments on those too.  Like Pani said, people asking for advice.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want comments, you need to Hubs on topics that people want to talk about.  They don't necessarily have to be controversial, unless you want to see strangers flaming each other in your comment capsules.

4. lorlie6 profile image71
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find that joining in the forums helps you get to know other hubbers, who in turn may come to your hubs.  Also, comment on the hubs written by writers you follow; sometimes they'll return the favor!

2. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I get quite a few comments on most of my hubs, though not very many on some...I get back about half the number of comments I leave on other people's hubs, so I think some people reciprocate when they get a comment, and other people don't.

I don't leave comments on others' hubs to get comments on my own, I just want to encourage people to write, and the people I follow, I really enjoy reading their hubs and appreciate the effort they've put into it, which I then reap the benefit (for FREE, even!)

If I were you, I'd stick to what you like to write about, whether or not it attracts a lot of comments.  Many, many more people will read your work and NOT make a comment, that's just the way it is...and it's ok.

3. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

It also helps to support other hubber's hubs by visiting them and leaving comments. Be a people's person.

1. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, ditto, well-said!

2. mod2vint profile image62
      mod2vintposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your so right!

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's true if comments from other Hubbers is what you're after.

I guess you have to decide what's most important to you - writing Hubs for other Hubbers, or for the big wide world.

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What if your not a people person?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then don't. smile If you're not.

1. blondepoet profile image66
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true Rochelle smile

2. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cry....just a joke. smile

4. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I like to leave comments on my own hubs..

I respect my option and seldom disagree with what i have to say

smile

1. chinweike profile image60
      chinweikeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny!

2. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HaHa so do I!

3. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

then this also solves the problem of whether or not to reply to the comments  - if their your comments on your own hubs I assume you know what you said!   hehehe  lol

5. chinweike profile image60
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

I don't bother myself much about comments. I have so far had only 108 comments on 45 hubs. The only thing that worries me is the.............! You know what i mean.
    Cheers!

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I guess it would be easy enough to say that spending more time in the forums and reading other people's hubs.

The most comments you'll receive is mostly from HubPages members.

I have had only a handful of people outside of HubPages to leave comments on my hubs. I recently broke 1200 comments on my Hubs.

Hubber's leaving comments helps on SE content, because comments changes the amount of words on your hub and updates the freshness of your hub.

Just my thought. smile

1. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's all wll and good untill you realise none of your commentors are using keywords, I saw my keyword ratio drop from 3.5% to 0.7% once sad

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh so the secret of leaving good comments is to mention thir keyword/s?

2. MyWebs profile image78
        MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh thats a good point. I never considered comments diluting the keyword ratio. That is a good reason NOT to have comments and just manually change a word or two once per week on all hubs to keep them fresh. But it kills the interactivity aspect. sad

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

keyword density...if your article or hub was exactly balanced in other ranking factors that actually mattered with another competing article..maybe then your keyword density could give you the edge.

by all means keep the myth alive, less smart competition to deal with.. a drastic alteration like oli mentioned is something worth rectifying (since its so easy to do)

but..density is as useful as meta tags

dont believe me..but these guys are pretty smart
          http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

1. thisisoli profile image69
            thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting, but I would like to knwo who tehir SEO experts were. After seeing a multitude of sneaky tactics from SEO experts to make their own techniques seem like the saviour to all that is good, if these SEO experts were in the business of dealing high quality backlinks,then it might make a difference to the quallity of the article.

May I point out that I do not necessarily disagree with it though, it does seem fairly accurate.

While you are about sunforged, I was wondering what your take was on search engines counting the Anchor Text of NoFollow links in ranking a site. Doesn't matter if they pass on the link juice, or crawl the website, the link and it's anchor text is still their helping SEO along.

It's a theory I read somewhere today, and if it's true I should probably update my backlinking guide.

I have always focused on do follow links, but something like this would probably make nofollow links a little more valuable.

(Sorry for the poor sentence structure, very very tired right now!)

7. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

THe majority of comments I have received have been on my non-profit hubs.

8. Aya Katz profile image85
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Marisa, that's a good point you bring up. When I joined Hubpages, getting comments from other hubbers was the biggest thrill and the greatest incentive to keep writing. I also believed that we were in a real dialogue, so I would give my frank opinion when commenting on others' hubs. It was a very lively time, but I soon learned that most people preferred only positive comments.

When I started receiving a lot of traffic from the external world outside Hubpages, that involved a lot of comments, too. It was the reddit link that garnered me about 48,000 pageviews in a couple of days, and many of the comments were really nasty, some so much so that I deleted them.

In time, I have gotten more steady traffic from the outside world that just trickles in at between 100 to 200 pageviews a day. They usually don't comment at all, and many of my fans have stopped commenting, too. I miss the more heady atmosphere of the old days. But external traffic with no comments does bring in some revenue.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I don't know if there is a trick or a certain kind of hub that attracts more comments than others. some of my hubs generate comments, some don't. outside views usually don't leave comments, only at times they will.  some people have blogs, etc. that bring in traffic also who leave comments.
    as long as people are reading, I'm happy. if I make money, nice, if not, writing is its own reward for me right now. if I can help someone with info or inspire someone, I'm thrilled. comments are like icing on the cake.

I also leave quite a few comments, but not as much as I would like to, but time is always a factor.

10. Falsor Wing profile image61
    Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

Have you tried making a hub about the new miracle weight loss cure? Just by giving freelance writers feedback your subconscious mind will feel so morally empowered you can't not lose weight.

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I've noticed if I don't write for a while the next hub will get more comments - also if I write too many all at once people either don't read em or don't comment.   I care less now, but I still care, and when I read a hub I like I always say something.  but, like I say, don't go back to look for response from the hubber

12. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Humor gets comments.  The trouble with humor is that it doesn't get readers through Google (except on occasion when the title happens to coincide with a "real" topic, which still makes me laugh... I wonder how many fifth graders have cited my "scientific" hubs lol).

13. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Now, that's a scary thought.

14. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

The contributor list: 72 diverse individuals, some recognizable names
    http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ra … ntributors

the breakdown of the 100 factors surveyed

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ra … ng-factors

as for the nofollow question, you are actually the one who provided me with the info that showed me that other SE's discounted NF links..so Im not the best judge on that factor,I value links on the ease in which i obtain..I cab get 25-50 anchored NF lnks in under an hour..so they are worth the doubt to me.

the survey above valued the links as "minimally important"

Im in agreement w/ the survey completely

anchored keywords external

anchored keywords internal
    link diversity
    on page keyword usage (Url, title, h2, img tag)

everything else is of minimal importance to me..actually it was cool seeing that a survey of "experts" was in agreement with my current theories

this seems relevant:

#

Jane Copland – I certainly don’t put much merit in the idea that the number of followed vs. nofollowed links pointing at a page plays a part in Google’s traditional web search results anymore. Think of all the really high-quality social links from sites like Twitter that carry nofollow tags: it would be completely ridiculous to regard a high number of nofollowed links as a detrimental trust metric.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)