jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

flagging really bad articles...

1. ja-meemee profile image59
    ja-meemeeposted 6 years ago

I'm not familiar with the culture here on HubPages, but is it considered impolite to flag articles that are terrible? Or leave comments pointing out grievous errors?

I noticed an article about bathing suits that had the phrase "bathing suite" all over the article and even in the title!! Out of curiosity I checked out this user's other articles, and let's just say there's a pattern. 

Are flags anonymous?  Does staff routinely remove flagged articles?  Or is it none of my business...

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

just keep in mind there are writers from all over the world here.
      some misspelling happens. sometimes I give people a break if I see english is not their native language and errors are not throughout their hubs. if the content is decent, I ignore it. suit and suite are often misspelled and mispronounced.

it's it's junk, flag it!!

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

When you flag articles, then you can pick from a selection of choices to label the hub you are reporting.

Pick the appropriate label and report it to HubPages. They will review it for it's quality of content.

If you want to be polite, then you can simply email the person instead of reporting it. There isn't anything wrong with letting people know that their work is not quality.

Especially, if there grammar mistakes throughout the entire hub.

Just my thoughts. smile

3. The10DollarMark profile image60
    The10DollarMarkposted 6 years ago

You can flag a hub for having poor content. I think constant overly bad spelling grammar counts as "poor content". Even if it doesn't, only the hubpages team knows that the hub has been flagged and they will determine its fate - the author of the hub will never know who flagged it.

Leaving comments pointing out errors is acceptable as long as you do it nicely and you mention that you don't mind if the comment is unpublished. Of course, if those hubbers with bad quality have that kind of bad quality because they don't care, then they'll probably ignore your comment - if they even bother to look at it at all.

4. Falsor Wing profile image85
    Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago

As the worst grammar and spelling mistake perpetrator I know (even in the title)I heartily encourage you to email this person. It helps than more than anyone else and they may just be so ignorant or unobservant they didn't notice. If they just don't care it's no sweat off your back and if they get defensive you can rely on the glorious internet and the loooong distances between people and the anonymity it creates.

P.S. you did however reveal your complaints against this person here in a very non-anonymous fashion. Even the grammatically challenged can use forums.

5. ja-meemee profile image59
    ja-meemeeposted 6 years ago

OK, thanks for the tips.  I will send a note through the comments and just ask the comment to be unpublished.  If the author can take a hint and spell words correctly, phrase coherent sentences, and compose an article that makes sense, then all is good.  If not, well, you can only try to help someone to the extent that they are willing to learn.

6. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

In answer to your many questions:

1) no
    2) not necessarily
    3) yes
    4) yes
    5) it's actually a responsibility that's shared by the entire community so please do report questionable Hubs to admin