jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

New Hubber - Rating dropped to 0 in One Day! Any Design Suggestions?

1. Starfishfelix profile image72
    Starfishfelixposted 6 years ago

I made my first two hubs yesterday, one "commercial" type hub and one "fun" hobby hub.  Although neither hub is going to win a creative design award, I think they're both decent, especially the postage stamp hub.  A bit eclectic, but nothing that would drop my overall rating to 0.  The hubs themselves are ranked 64 & 65 and slowly rising.

I've read that overall rankings drift around and often drop at the beginning, and I did notice a slight drop while I was making the Hubs, but zero seems a bit extreme.

If anyone has any suggestions on improving the hubs I'd appreciate it!

1. Falsor Wing profile image86
      Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's my main man the Cheif! I beleive it was demonstrated in an earlier thread that the author rating system is either based on magic or somebody is just making shit up.

I made a bunch of pages and then went to dinner and actually ate some food. When I got back my rating had risen from 5 to 11. So my advice is A: sacrifice a newborn lamb. B: go to Arby's.

Starfishfelixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep - that seems to be the case - I'm up to 4 now.  Infinitely better than 0 - won't see that sort of increase again.

Thought I'd see if I was missing anything Hub-wise / Design-wise.

I'm a bit squeamish - Maybe I'll just sacrifice a hamburger somewhere and hope no one notices.

2. 60
    foreignpressposted 6 years ago

One way to increase ratings is to contribute to the Forums. Another way is to research HubPages for similar topics and advice and to read the HP FAQ. This is not a new situation and has been discussed frequently.

3. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

HubPages = hubs, not lenses.

The rating system is not based on magic. There are several factors that influence it. Read around the site - FAQ, search the forums, search other hubber's hubs.

This site is packed full with how-to's, tips and advice for new hubbers.

welcome to HP

Starfishfelixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Opps!  Corrected! smile

1. wyanjen profile image87
        wyanjenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

no problem

Your hub scores benefit from key words and word count more so than witty writing. (Not to say you should not be focusing on quality writing - it matters, but not in terms of your initial hub scores) Find hubbers with high author scores and read their hubs to see how they are setting them up.

When you are publishing, take a look at the types of capsules available. Learn what they are, and make good use of them.

Your scores will adjust for you. No need to worry this early in your HubPages career big_smile

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Also there is an occasional lag, or malfunction or glitch-- it will all work out, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".