Will I go to hubber hell if I rate my own hub up?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Falsor Wing profile image61
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

I feel bound by my pride as a writer not to click it but it looks more tempting every time I scroll by to check my polls

1. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup hubber hell for dat lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why not try it, you may be surprised what you get. 

It won't do any harm - and Sunforged is right, in the scheme of things it's not important.  It takes several thumbs to make any difference to HubScore.

As for traffic - the blue arrows are telling you traffic has dropped.  That's normal for new Hubs:  you get a flurry of traffic from Hubbers, then that dies down and there's usually a lull before the search engines pick them up.

2. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

No Hubber Hell is reserved for duplicate content and half naked Indian hubs.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

*looks frantically for the nudity*

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

yes rotten hell nevah push your own green button or click an ad

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

When I've been in a rating and reading frenzy, I've clicked my own button. Wait...that sounds rather sexual.

I don't think I've ever clicked any of my own ads, however!

1. GarfieldGates profile image81
      GarfieldGatesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I click my own buttons all the time too (in a strictly platonic Hubpages sort of way).  Not so much on the ads though.

Rating up or down does not appear in the public feed, so you should feel free to do it however you want and not have to worry about what people will think of you for rating a certain way.

Falsor Wingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ROFL. thanks.

"by the way if you do its not like anyone will know, knock yourself out."

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the HubTeam knows everything.

1. The10DollarMark profile image60
            The10DollarMarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

*bows* Dear Hubteam. I humbly ask for your wise guidance. I'm not going to be foolish enough to ask for the meaning of life or the next winning lottery numbers, but I do have a very important question I need to have answered by sages as wise as you.

Is hubber hell the same as rubber hell? I can't imagine being in a fiery hell that has a bunch of rubber everywhere. Making you sweaty and sticky even faster. *shrug*

1. profile image0
              cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

i kept smelling burning rubber this weekend. and i don't live near anywhere that burns tires or anything. could it have been the NASCAR races? that was really weird...

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I did once in a  hurry. Satan is no fun

6. DanPowers profile image46
    DanPowersposted 13 years ago

Does your own hubscore go down if you mark other people's hubs down? It seems a bit unfair as someone has to mark down all those spammy forex/moneymaking hubs!

7. The10DollarMark profile image60
    The10DollarMarkposted 13 years ago

Yes you will go to hubber hell. Every day a word from your hub will be deleted until it is left completely blank. The edit button stops working so you can't add anything back in, and once the hub goes blank it is deleted from your account and the url is put away in a secret pool where the best earning hubbers are allowed to decide if they'd like the url for themselves. If none of them want it, it is given back to you with the message "Don't rate your stuff up MOFO".

Actually, nothing happens and I'm sure lots of people do it as a way to boost a new or dying hub. It's not like one vote really makes that much of a difference. Knock yourself out.

8. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

probably. it's a deep dark place below the earth.

JK!  big_smile

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Australia?

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

9. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

im under the impression that the rate up and down buttons are mostly for show

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged, do you mean they are just for show when we are looking at our own hub? Or are you saying that they don't affect Hubscores at all, even when we rate someone else's hub?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that the effect of rating up and down is minuscule and not worthy of worry or conversation.

Pretty much drew this theory from a Hub staff post that was responding to someones concerns that they could be targetted by "angry hubbers" from forum conversations and have their score effected.

I have no proof..but many really poor hubs with lots of dissenting comments (assume many would rate down) have high scores as the controversy leads to more traffic, which seems to be the main factor in high indiv hub scores

all conjecture

1. Aya Katz profile image83
          Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged, that is good to know. Kind of puts it all in perspective.

2. MyWebs profile image79
          MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know I have noticed that when several hubbers commented that they had bookmarked my hub, that the score went up with no significant traffic increase during the same period of time.

It is my belief that bookmarking, maybe especially by the top hubbers score wise, effects hub score much more than a thumbs up. Then again it could have been the random fluctuation factor that I love to hate. What do you think about that theory?

1. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

bookmarking via a browser would be unknown to the hubs server..bookmarking via hubs built in bookmark WOULD be a great and honest factor for increased hubscore, but i figured most people didnt use it as its a less useful tool than a browser bookmark that can be accessed anywhere, Ihave never seen it mentioned as a hubscore factor.

SOCIAL Bookmarking would create a backlink and traffic source diversity..I think traffic source diversity is a major factor in te hub algo (still conjecture) I have hubs that although they dont get big traffic by my standards..they get regular traffic from all the major search engines and many i have never heard of..these seem to always score well regardless of quantity of traffic

Im also thinking teh comment " I bookmarked this" is rapidly becoming the new "nice hub" ...now if someone came back two months later and commented, Im here again because of my bookmark..I may be more inclined to believe it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I agree - I notice a lot of the spammy comments (i.e. the ones posted just to get a link)on my website are "I bookmarked this"...

10. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Of course I do! Who else do you think rates my hubs up?! Most of my 'followers' *cringes at the word* are my other me's. I'd say at least 90% wink

I set aside special 'me' time every day, in order to flatter me silly and keep me, myselves and I on high hubscores.

High hubber score 101 tongue

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lolol me too

I rate my hubs up on a schedule. I can't wait for you to do it. big_smile

11. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 13 years ago

Call me naive but where can I see the statistics of the number of thumbs up ratings got on any particular hub. I have been searching and cant seem to find any help in the forum posts as well.

12. Falsor Wing profile image61

Suddenly I'm getting the blue falling traffic triangle, is that normal?

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just means your traffic is dropping, nothing to be alarmed about smile

but isn't lots more traffic a major goal?

yes, but everyone gets the blue arrows at some point. they change often according to traffic flow. don't worry about it so much, or add a news capsule or find some quality backlinks.

Ah I see thank you. now backlinks...

here are a couple good hubs on backlinking that explain what it is.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Truth-About-Backlinks

http://hubpages.com/hub/backlinking

2. G Miah profile image79
        G Miahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you won't go to hubber hell for that!

13. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

Seriously I have been afraid to give my own hubs a thumbs up since the TOS say something to the effect of that it is against the rules to try and artificially inflate your scores.

I would assume this to mean we shouldn't open up our hubs and hit F5 100 times per day. LOL .. But who knows really?

Yes it is very tempting to click that thumbs up button and I did do it once just to see what would happen. When my floor started splitting open and I heard a demonic voice calling out to me from deep below I begged the HP Gods for forgiveness.

14. SandyMcCollum profile image61
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

I gave one of my articles a thumbs up and my hub score went down. So I never did that again. I don't know if it went down because of that, but I don't want to find out lol.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Sandy, you used to get a humorous message if you tried to thumb your own Hub - I wonder if that's disappeared by mistake?

1. SandyMcCollum profile image61
        SandyMcCollumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No humorous message.

15. Falsor Wing profile image61

I'll bet when man first discovered fire a conversation similar to this one took place.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)